DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Pioneer Member

Default I Found a Great Head Combo

I just got my Emad 2 and EQ1 Coated in today for my Mapex Pro M. Much better than the Fiberskyn Powerstroke heads I had before and the EMAD before that. These heads tuned right up and sound great. I don't have to use anymore felt strips either. With the EMAD 2 I can fool around with the rings too to get a variety of sounds. The EMAD 2 doesn't have the plastic quality that the EMAD did. Instead it's just a solid boomy punch. It comes with a patch too for those of you that want to have a clicky attack. The EQ1 is a great resonant head too. It looks great being a white coated head and it has a ring on the inside (powerstroke style) with little holes around (dry vents) so it sounds wonderful. No internal muffling needed here, just lots of potential. My bass is 22x18, so I can't say what this combo would do on another size, although probably a similar result.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: I Found a Great Head Combo

Glad you found a combo you like!!!!!
Old 01-05-2008, 04:21 AM

Predictable results, thanks for sharing, however you must have noticed the reduction in volume due to the 2 ply EMAD head. Even with the smallest ring the volume must be reduced.

I have wanted to try 2 ply bass batters like the Remo Powerstroke 4 or Powersonic, but the reduction in volume is what scares me the most. I play mic'd up 90% of the time, but I still can't get those thoughts out of my mind when it comes time to get new heads.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:39 AM
Pioneer Member

I was worried about a two-ply head as well. But, it's far from dead sounding. I have the smallest ring in there right now which keeps it going "boooommm" I imagine if I put the big one in a tuned it down I could get it to go "bmp" though. The two ply gives a roundness to to the sound, it's quite nice.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
I was worried about a two-ply head as well. But, it's far from dead sounding. I have the smallest ring in there right now which keeps it going "boooommm" I imagine if I put the big one in a tuned it down I could get it to go "bmp" though. The two ply gives a roundness to to the sound, it's quite nice.
I would imagine even with the small ring the Remo Powerstroke 4 would have a bit more resonance and boom to it.

I think I might have to try a 2 ply on the bass.