DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-03-2008, 08:54 PM

Default Why do drums come with such crappy heads?

I got my new drumset and tuned them all up the best i could, still sound like crap and the more I play them the worse they get. Im waiting to save up the extra $350 or so Im going to need to replace all the batter and resonant heads to make my kit sound good. I dont get it really, Pearl, for example, lists them as a feature..... "includes ProTone heads". Whooppee what a selling point!! You think if the drum companies wanted their drums to sound good in the stores and sell they would spend some money and time developing better stock heads!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Why do drums come with such crappy heads?

Gretsch comes with Evans G1's, but most use either heads made by Remo or others under their own name. I would assume it just a matter of money saving, plus the fact that out of 10 drums sets sold, 9 people would probably change the heads to what they liked and not the stock heads anyway. Ask any one here what heads they like and you will get as many answers.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radurader View Post
the more I play them the worse they get.
Drum heads tend to wear out and age that way.
Quote:
the extra $350 or so Im going to need to replace all the batter and resonant heads to make my kit sound good.
Depending on what your drums cost new, would you have bought them if they had cost an extra $350? As so many kits sold are in the "under $1K mark", top line heads would cut into the profit margin, possibly negate it altogether. Also, what top line heads "you" wish to put on your kit may vary from what heads "I" want, so for the drum manufacture's standpoint, it's almost a "no win" situation.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Pioneer Member

You may know what "Protone" heads are but some people buying the kits have no idea so it may sound like something that's a huge benefit as opposed to the crappy heads that they are. Typically the highest end kits come with good heads. Pearl, Tama, Ludwig, etc. come with good heads, for example the g2/g1s/hazy 300/genera on the Starclassic line.

It's kinda like buying a car. A $10K car isn't going to come with the best tires on the market. A $40K car is going to come with top of the line.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I got my new drumset and tuned them all up the best i could, still sound like crap and the more I play them the worse they get. Im waiting to save up the extra $350 or so Im going to need to replace all the batter and resonant heads to make my kit sound good. I dont get it really, Pearl, for example, lists them as a feature..... "includes ProTone heads". Whooppee what a selling point!! You think if the drum companies wanted their drums to sound good in the stores and sell they would spend some money and time developing better stock heads!
First off what kind of kit did you get? (brand and model) secondly how long have you been drumming, thirdly how much experience have you had tuning. I'm not asking this to be a smart arse they are questions in which we can use to shed some light on your problem. Like others have said a $500 kit isn't going to come with the best heads out there. That being said it is possible to achieve a decent sound even with stock heads though it might take more work. Also don't base your sound off of what you hear behind your kit, you need to be 10-15 ft away to get the idea of how it truly sounds.

Check this thread out if you haven't alreadyhttp://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id5.html
Old 01-03-2008, 10:46 PM

Yeah, Im not a pro tuner by any means, they just seem plastic-y to me. It's a Gretsch Catalina Maple.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
... you need to be 10-15 ft away to get the idea of how it truly sounds.
You need to have really long arms to use this tuning technique. jk ;)

Steve
Old 01-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

Read.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
Bingo.

BTW, I can re-head my entire 7-piece kit for considerably less than $350--do you have an even larger kit?

FWIW, the Protone bass drum heads that ship with newer Exports (if that's what you have) are pretty decent, at least for a start. They're much like Remo PS3s.

Meanwhile, learning to tune well will make the most of what you have now.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Also, what top line heads "you" wish to put on your kit may vary from what heads "I" want, so for the drum manufacture's standpoint, it's almost a "no win" situation.
true that.......that is definetly right
Old 01-07-2008, 03:46 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Gretsch comes with Evans G1's
Just so no one gets confused, only the Catalina Club Mod, Jazz, and New Classic kits come with G1's. The Catalina Maple and Ash kits come with stock Gretsch and the USA Customs come with Permatone heads.

But anyway, it has already been said well: Most kits do not come with brand name heads to keep the cost down, which does make sense considering you could pay that extra inflated cost on a set and then still not get what you'd like.

$350? How large is your kit? A 5 piece kit, if you replaced the top and bottom heads on every drum shouldn't cost you more than $180 or so, maybe less depending on what you get. Also you don't have to replace the resos right away. Even just replacing the batter heads will remarkably improve the tone of the drums, provided you have a decent kit to begin with. Also you don't have to replace the bass reso. Most people leave theirs stock.