DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-03-2008, 03:28 AM

Default Remote Hihats

Hey Everyone,

Recently I bought a Pearl remote hihat off a friend, its a recent model and works well for what I needed it for. Problem I face is, when I start using it in a gig situation, transporting it, because you cant actually detatch the cable from the stand.

Just wondering what people suggest? I may end up just upgrading to a DW one for my live kit and keep the Pearl setup on my practice kit. I think the DW ones come apart.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 01-03-2008, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Remote Hihats

I've got both, and as far as I can tell, the DW doesn't come apart any easier than the Pearl. I changed out the cable to a longer one, and it was a major undertaking. Unless there's a shortcut I'm missing, it's rough.

I just load the Pearl remote and pedal into my trap case last/on top. I 'wrapped' the cable in the biggest loops the case would allow, and never had any trouble transporting it this way. As long as you're careful with the rod assembly and pedal, it does just fine.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:54 AM
fourstringdrums

Well the Pearl doesn't come apart at all, and you really have to loop it in the biggest loop it naturally wants to give or else you'll damage the cable. I saw on the Pearl Drummer's forum that someone made something like a suitcase, maybe 20x20 and used that to transport it. I would get a bass drum case and transport it in that.

The DW does come apart, but you have to use an allen wrench and I believe another wrench and a screw driver to do so, and at that, when I had one, I had to pull the cable out and that would fray the ends so putting it back in was difficult. Though the newer models may be different and I may have done it wrong. This was 6 years or go or so.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:49 PM

ah, I assumed the Pearl could be disassembled if you sat down and took the time- never actually had to so I never checked.

I had to do what you described for the DW; several allen screws (all in very hard to reach positions) and several phillips heads too- I would NOT want to have to do this procedure in a venue after a gig. I didn't enjoy it at my workbench with 2 toolboxes... (definitely keep a mechanic's magnetic tray/bowl on hand- that thing saved me several times!)
and the cable fraying issue was bad, I could barely get the new cable in the aperture.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:26 AM

Thanks guys,

I'll look into it. I may just buy a DW one for my live kit in a few months anyway. Im trying to also get my practice kit and live kit similar so I dont have to steal anything from the practice kit to use when I do a gig. Rob will understand the reasons behind that lol
Old 01-11-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerstix_au View Post
Im trying to also get my practice kit and live kit similar so I dont have to steal anything from the practice kit to use when I do a gig
similar reason I've got 2; gig kit and studio kit- no more stealin'
I find the 2 (DW and Pearl) to feel pretty similar. Beware the Peace remote though!
Old 01-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

The Pearl Remote cable is not designed to be detached. Trick is supposed to be developing a remote HH.

Last time I talked with them (about 2.5 years ago) I suggested they make the cable removeable for transport, aslo enlarge the HH rod making it bend resistant. Maybe a suprise at NAMM.