DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-01-2008, 04:44 AM

Default blue hydraulic heads?

I was looking at those blue drum heads with the film of oil in them. Does anyone have these? What do you think of them?
Old 01-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: blue hydraulic heads?

I havent used these but....i saw a drummer in a country band using them on tv a while back.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:27 PM

They sound great and FAT for the most part,
but if you do any out door playing, better think twice before buying them as you will almost surely need to mic them.
The don't "project" as most coated or double ply heads do.
Tried em for about 2 gigs unmiked, then took em back off, never purchased another set.
I play country/rock/blues, ect.

THE DDRUM REVOLUTION...
DDRUM ACOUSTIC DRUMS since 1983
Old 01-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

I used to use those back in the early 80's when I (and everyone else) was so in love with the Steve Gadd sound. That's what Steve used. Frankly they're not a very versatile head but not bad as an alternative for guys who want to take most of the overtone ring out of their drums. Not much need for additional muffling. As stated earlier they tend to sound best when miked and processed.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Stoltman View Post
I used to use those back in the early 80's when I (and everyone else) was so in love with the Steve Gadd sound. That's what Steve used. Frankly they're not a very versatile head but not bad as an alternative for guys who want to take most of the overtone ring out of their drums. Not much need for additional muffling. As stated earlier they tend to sound best when miked and processed.

I also used them religiously (almost) in the early 1980s and like Pete it was because I wanted to sound like Gadd - still trying, still failing! - The advantage they can have is that in sounding so dull and "thuddy" they can make a cheaper kit sound better. The flip side of that of course, is that the lack of resonance in these heads can make a great kit sound like a not so great kit. If you want that loud dull thud from your toms you should try them, but don't expect to hear that shell ringing!

Paul
Old 01-04-2008, 03:40 AM

would these heads make enough noise to be picked up well overhead mics during recording sessions?
Old 01-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

Sure, they will be loud enough to be picked up by overheads but there are a ton of variables at work here. What kind of mikes are being used? How far overhead? etc. I found that the Hydraulic heads worked best with a close mike. Something basic like a Shure SM 57 would do the trick. If you're considering these heads strictly for a recording situation I guess it's easy enough to see what they will sound like. Just pick up any of those albums Gadd did in the early 80's and see if you like it. It's certainly not the kind of sound you hear on most of todays recordings. Also the type of processing plays a part. That gets into a whole area of stuff that I'm not really qualified to talk about. Up until about 8 years ago or so everything I recorded went onto tape, Now most stuff is done on digital by engineers who know how to work magic with computers. I just play the drums and then try my best to explain or work with the engineer to get the sound I'm looking for. He punches a bunch of buttons on a keyboard and things happen.
Sorry for getting off track there but my simple answer is that if you have a specific reason for going with the Hydraulics then fine. I think there are a lot more versatile head choices out there.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Stoltman View Post
I was right there with you back in the 80s!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw