DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-01-2008, 04:27 AM
boomboomda's Avatar
boomboomda boomboomda is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 714
Default WIP snare for January

Here is my project for January.A 13" snare made out PVC tubing.
I wonder how it will sound.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Are you sure about that 5 minutes?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-01-2008, 04:34 AM
timebandit's Avatar
timebandit timebandit is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: plainfield Il.
Posts: 600
Default Re: WIP snare for January

It will probablly sound something like acrylic.
__________________
http://www.myspace.com/4playchicagoSHUT UP & PLAY
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-01-2008, 04:57 AM
punkdrummer1's Avatar
punkdrummer1 punkdrummer1 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 659
Default Re: WIP snare for January

where did you get it, or did you make it? And if you did, how did you make it?! Looks very cool
__________________




Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-01-2008, 05:05 AM
boomboomda's Avatar
boomboomda boomboomda is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 714
Default Re: WIP snare for January

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkdrummer1 View Post
where did you get it, or did you make it? And if you did, how did you make it?! Looks very cool
Our landlord at my office had it laying around behind his shed.
The piece was actually about 20" long but both ends looked really bad, so I took it home
and cut it on both ends so that I have a 6" deep piece left.
He is a contractor that's why he has access to those kinf of tubing, they are not available
in the regular home impovement stores.
It didn't cost me anything so that's the good part.
Not quite sure what kind of finish I am putting on it.
If somebody has a good idea other than a wrap let me know.
__________________
Are you sure about that 5 minutes?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-01-2008, 05:09 AM
punkdrummer1's Avatar
punkdrummer1 punkdrummer1 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 659
Default Re: WIP snare for January

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomda View Post
Our landlord at my office had it laying around behind his shed.
The piece was actually about 20" long but both ends looked really bad, so I took it home
and cut it on both ends so that I have a 6" deep piece left.
He is a contractor that's why he has access to those kinf of tubing, they are not available
in the regular home impovement stores.
It didn't cost me anything so that's the good part.
Not quite sure what kind of finish I am putting on it.
If somebody has a good idea other than a wrap let me know.
How did you get it into shape then? (and by the way, I can't wait to see the finished results :D)
__________________




Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-01-2008, 05:15 AM
boomboomda's Avatar
boomboomda boomboomda is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 714
Default Re: WIP snare for January

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkdrummer1 View Post
How did you get it into shape then? (and by the way, I can't wait to see the finished results :D)
Oh sorry, it is a round tubing, I cut it off a 20" long tubing.
The tubing is 12.75" in diameter and has about 3/8" wall thickness.
It is pretty heavy. It just like those PVC tubing you can buy at Home Improvement stores, only that this one is bigger in diameter.
__________________
Are you sure about that 5 minutes?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-01-2008, 06:25 AM
punkdrummer1's Avatar
punkdrummer1 punkdrummer1 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 659
Default Re: WIP snare for January

so you're basically telling me that it's a pre-made shell, and dirt cheap. I want in on this! :D
__________________




Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-01-2008, 06:31 AM
razorx's Avatar
razorx razorx is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ USA
Posts: 2,215
Default Re: WIP snare for January

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomda View Post
The tubing is 12.75" in diameter and has about 3/8" wall thickness.
.
and how do you plan to put hoops on it?
__________________
Youtube: youtube.com/simpleplandrummer
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-01-2008, 06:50 AM
boomboomda's Avatar
boomboomda boomboomda is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 714
Default Re: WIP snare for January

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
and how do you plan to put hoops on it?
I checked already, a 13" drumhead fits nicely on there.
I don't understand the question, hoops go on like on any other snare.
I will put lugs on the snare and get some 13" 8 hole 2.3 mm triple flanged hoops.
__________________
Are you sure about that 5 minutes?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-01-2008, 07:32 AM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seminole, Florida
Posts: 14,772
Default Re: WIP snare for January

I would buff that baby to a nice shine and then have someone airbrush a great landscape, lets say a sunset or sunrise , around the drum. Then put a clear coat on it. Oh yeah, I just happen to have about 200 photos of local leftcoast Florida sunsets. Hint HInt
__________________
Suum Cuique
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-01-2008, 07:47 AM
razorx's Avatar
razorx razorx is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ USA
Posts: 2,215
Default Re: WIP snare for January

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomda View Post
I checked already, a 13" drumhead fits nicely on there.
I don't understand the question, hoops go on like on any other snare.
I will put lugs on the snare and get some 13" 8 hole 2.3 mm triple flanged hoops.
I thought that the hoop size was the radius which you said was 12.75
__________________
Youtube: youtube.com/simpleplandrummer
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-01-2008, 07:48 AM
razorx's Avatar
razorx razorx is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ USA
Posts: 2,215
Default Re: WIP snare for January

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I would buff that baby to a nice shine and then have someone airbrush a great landscape, lets say a sunset or sunrise , around the drum. Then put a clear coat on it. Oh yeah, I just happen to have about 200 photos of local leftcoast Florida sunsets. Hint HInt
That sounds like a good idea.
__________________
Youtube: youtube.com/simpleplandrummer
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-01-2008, 04:30 PM
boomboomda's Avatar
boomboomda boomboomda is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 714
Default Re: WIP snare for January

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
I thought that the hoop size was the radius which you said was 12.75
Most of the drums these days are a little undersized, i.e. a 14" snare drum has a diameter of 13.875", so that this PVC tubing is undersized by a 1/4" should not really create a problem, except for the aligning of the tension rods with the lugs, but I have thought about that already, and how I can solve that problem.
__________________
Are you sure about that 5 minutes?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-01-2008, 06:43 PM
razorx's Avatar
razorx razorx is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ USA
Posts: 2,215
Default Re: WIP snare for January

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomda View Post
Most of the drums these days are a little undersized, i.e. a 14" snare drum has a diameter of 13.875", so that this PVC tubing is undersized by a 1/4" should not really create a problem, except for the aligning of the tension rods with the lugs, but I have thought about that already, and how I can solve that problem.
Oh ok i understand now.
__________________
Youtube: youtube.com/simpleplandrummer
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Big_Philly
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: WIP snare for January

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomda View Post
Not quite sure what kind of finish I am putting on it.
If somebody has a good idea other than a wrap let me know.
Well I made octobans out of PVC, you will definitely need a good primer to paint it. The paint comes off my octobans quite easily despite the fact that I used a good primer, so a top layer of tough, protective transparent lacquer is also a worthwhile investment. Other than that, you're free to pick any color or combination that you like. I got the fade effect my applying a thin layer of paint first, then adding a second layer on the top half and topping it off with a third layer on the top of the shell. Have a look at the thread about my octobans (link in my signature line) to see the different stages of painting.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-01-2008, 07:04 PM
dom's Avatar
dom dom is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hutchinson
Posts: 960
Default Re: WIP snare for January

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
and how do you plan to put hoops on it?
all drum shells are undersized. If the shell was exactly 13'', then 13'' heads and hoops would not fit.
__________________
www.ghostnote.net
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-01-2008, 07:06 PM
dom's Avatar
dom dom is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hutchinson
Posts: 960
Default Re: WIP snare for January

i say just leave the finish raw, that would look pretty sweet
__________________
www.ghostnote.net
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-01-2008, 07:13 PM
rmandelbaum's Avatar
rmandelbaum rmandelbaum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Austin, TX USA
Posts: 2,020
Default Re: WIP snare for January

Looks like a cool project, post pics of all stages please.
__________________
DW Collectors
Vintage Superstars
Roland TD-20
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-01-2008, 08:22 PM
boomboomda's Avatar
boomboomda boomboomda is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 714
Default Re: WIP snare for January

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
i say just leave the finish raw, that would look pretty sweet
This was one of the tings I had in mind, give that industrial look, or the idea "Gruntersdad" had, what is totally the other extreme.
__________________
Are you sure about that 5 minutes?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-07-2008, 12:52 AM
cavica cavica is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 130
Default Re: WIP snare for January

Any updates on the drum? As for the finish, I would lean towards leaving it a natural one.
__________________
Drums- Mapex Saturns, Cymbals- Zildjian, Sabian. Sticks- Zildjian
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: WIP snare for January

Great idea for a shell. At first I thought it was a new DW line of Albinowood.

Someone here did the same thing with a cast iron pipe. The drum weighs like 40 pounds and apparently produces skin-exfoliating rimshots.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-07-2008, 07:12 AM
dom's Avatar
dom dom is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hutchinson
Posts: 960
Default Re: WIP snare for January

i want to know what happened to this project!
__________________
www.ghostnote.net
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com