DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 12-31-2007, 03:45 AM
Silver Member

Default Bass Guitar Anyone?

Need help. My friend, 53 years young, is going through a midlife crisis. Probably more accurately called old age crisis. Just bought a snappy belt drive BMW motorcylce, a new 911 cabriolet ... a real sick fellow.

Anyway, he came over this afternoon. I'm playing the kit as he knocks on the door, watching the new Jo Jo DVD. The two of us start talking about the hobby and how there is plenty of stuff out there for a guy to learn a few things on his own. He decides he wants to play with me on a regular basis. Bass guitar, with a plan for jazz. Next thing I know, we are on our way to Guitar Center for a look at some instruments.

Spent about an hour there. The salesman was suggesting this bass guitar made by "W," real pretty rosewood I think, and looked like a one piece body with no pickguard, around $1,200. Also, a 2 x10 Ampeg amp, I think 200 watts on casters, around $699 I think. I was really needing to leave to get somewhere else, so I got him out of here as I suggested I knew a place where someone might have a suggestion or two for him.

-- Do any of you know the best bass guitar forum?
-- Best DVD or book for a newbie?
-- Any suggestions on jazz bass gear for this guy? We really need to get him financially involved ... don't hesitate to get him in deep. More money than common sense and besides, he can always sell on ebay or craigslist more easily if he has decent stuff. Thanks for your help. Joey

Thought I was in off topic area, but needed to sign in again after I tried to po Myabe I just messed up. Please move this and sorry. Happy new year.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:35 AM

Default Re: Bass Guitar Anyone?

You mean there was a "W" on the headstock? 'Cause that would be a Warwick, and those things sound awesome, at least for hard rock and metal, but it could work for jazz too. Was it a fretless?

And here's the bass forum to end all bass forums.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

Ok Joey, heres what happened in my house over Christmas. My newbie Bass playing 14 year old, after tons of research secretly called his Wall Street Hedge Fund uncle ( my brother), and asked him for something he knew I would never buy him. Its the Rolls Royce of basses.

Fond uncle of course, didnt hesitate.

Its called a Musicman Bongo. Ill try and post a picture on this thread soon. It has the ability to make drummers weak in the knees, lord know what it might do to bassists.

btw. the W on the headstock is for Warwick, which is also one of the top of the line brands
Old 12-31-2007, 09:02 AM

You really can't go wrong with an American Standard Fender Jazz or Fender Precision bass. These really are the standard. And there's a good reason for it. These are great basses. Back in the day, every electric bass (no matter the manufacturer) was considered a Fender Bass.
And, Eden amps are the best, in my opinion.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:18 AM

I'll second the Fender basses. They can be used for any style and they look cool, too.

--LG
Old 12-31-2007, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

Here's the Bongo. The pics dont do it justice.Name:  musicman_bongobass.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  23.6 KB

Name:  bongo 1.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  131.1 KB

Name:  bongo 2.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  77.1 KB

Yeah, I love precision and the fender jazz basses too , but the bass players I hang with are talking a different language..Musicman, Warwick, Fodera, Zon, Tobias, U.S. Master Guitar Works, Alembic....are all considered the creme' de la creme' bass axes.

( Like what your DWkit would be to drums, these would be to basses. You know what I'm talking about, Joey! ; )

Last edited by aydee; 12-31-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:39 PM
Pioneer Member

Joeybeats,
I asked my twinbrother about this, he plays bass..

A Warwick bass sounds like a beast, but can be hard to learn on because of the string height , this can off course be adjusted.. As Aydee said a Music man Bongo is a good bass.. You cant either go wrong with many of the Fender basses.. I also suggest trying out some Yamaha bassses, my brother one and it sound amazing, its also easy to play on..
Old 01-01-2008, 04:00 AM
Silver Member

Thanks guys! I knew you would have the answers. I'm on it.

Four or five strings?

I'll let you know what the idiot gets. Happy new year to all. Joey
Old 01-01-2008, 06:37 AM
fourstringdrums

I'll second www.talkbass.com and their forums. I was a member there for a good 4 years or so until I quit playing bass last year due to my Carpal Tunnel. Also check out www.thedudepit.com which is another great bass site and a lot of the TalkBass guys frequent there.

You can't go wrong with a Fender Jazz bass. The MIM (Made in Mexico) basses are quite good though you have some of them checked out to make sure that the frets are level and it is in good playing order. Some of the Mexico Fender's can be a bit spotty in the QC. I'd also suggest a Lakland Skyline Joe Osbourne, which is also a jazz bass. For amps, I had an Ampeg B100R which I think was a 150W amp for $500, which can be had used for $250-$350.

Some great sites I used to use for buying were www.buffalobrosguitars.com, www.bassnw.com and www.basscentral.com
Old 01-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

For a slightly more budget option, you can't go wrong with a Yamaha BB414. Basic and simple, but solidly well built and excellent tone and versatility. I've been very happy with mine and I tried a number of much more expensive models for comparison. It was easily comparable to those worth up to twice as much.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

For jazz playing there is no substitue for an upright string bass. There are some good pickup systems available if he needs more volume for larger rooms. But after re-reading your post I guess he wants a bass guitar. I think I'd go with the Fender Jazz or Precision bass for the somewhat more traditional jazz sound and simplicity/durability factors.