DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-26-2007, 03:15 AM

Default Remo Powerdots help

Firstly, happy holidays to everyone,
and secondly, I got some powerdots for Christmas today, and I've put them on and tuned them as well as I can, but they're still veeeeeeery resonant. I like a little resonance, but these are balloony and go on forever.. I've muffled them a little with some removable painter's tape, but they're still resonant? What would be a good solution to this? I don't really want O-Rings, cause I like a natural sound, but I dunno... What do you guys think?
Old 12-26-2007, 03:30 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Remo Powerdots help

moongels. You can move them around in different places on the drum head to get different sounds. I use them here and there. For what you want, I suggest you try putting one right up against the rim of the drum, or, if thats to much, cutting one in half, and putting it right up against the rim of the drum. Good Luck.

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 12-26-2007, 03:33 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Well you really have three solutions:

i) Get used to the resonance. I like sustain on my toms, that's for certain. But I use single-ply heads and emphasise it.

ii) Get different heads. Thicker heads with built in muffling.

iii) Muffle!

Of the three, I suggest number one. I've played some very dead and muffled kits on gigs and they seriously lacked any projection or volume. The sustain and resonance, after the attack, is what gives the drums the body and projection that we expect. Get somebody else to play the kit and stand ten feet away. Trust me, it will sound very different.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkdrummer1 View Post
moongels. You can move them around in different places on the drum head to get different sounds. I use them here and there. For what you want, I suggest you try putting one right up against the rim of the drum, or, if thats to much, cutting one in half, and putting it right up against the rim of the drum. Good Luck.
Yeah? I may go pick some up tomorrow..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Well you really have three solutions:

i) Get used to the resonance. I like sustain on my toms, that's for certain. But I use single-ply heads and emphasise it.

ii) Get different heads. Thicker heads with built in muffling.

iii) Muffle!

Of the three, I suggest number one. I've played some very dead and muffled kits on gigs and they seriously lacked any projection or volume. The sustain and resonance, after the attack, is what gives the drums the body and projection that we expect. Get somebody else to play the kit and stand ten feet away. Trust me, it will sound very different.
I agree with you on the muffling, I too hate dead kits, I try to go as light on muffling as possible.. I'll get my sister to play it and I'll see if it sounds different far away.. Thanks man!
Old 12-26-2007, 03:44 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Give it a few days as well, those heads have to settle in. Just experiment with the tuning before you tape the drums up; if you still don't like it be my guest. There's just a lot of options in tuning and I made some terrible choices which I wouldn't care to repeat. It's all about the trial and error.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Give it a few days as well, those heads have to settle in. Just experiment with the tuning before you tape the drums up; if you still don't like it be my guest. There's just a lot of options in tuning and I made some terrible choices which I wouldn't care to repeat. It's all about the trial and error.
Yeah thats what my friend said, they have to get warmed up.. I'll try around with some and see what I can get from them... I may end up getting some Moongels and just takin the tape off completely.. Or not getting Moongels but still taking the tape off completely.. Either way.. haha
Old 12-26-2007, 04:22 AM

It's been forever since I tried Remo's CS heads, but I remembered they had funky overtones, due I believe to the different head thicknesses, which resonate at different frequencies. Did you get clear or coated powerdots? If clear, you may want to try the coated for a little less ring. I agree that moongels are great at controlling a drum's resonance. They're easy to apply, easy to remove, leave no residue, look cool and don't cost much.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammiefan View Post
It's been forever since I tried Remo's CS heads, but I remembered they had funky overtones, due I believe to the different head thicknesses, which resonate at different frequencies. Did you get clear or coated powerdots? If clear, you may want to try the coated for a little less ring. I agree that moongels are great at controlling a drum's resonance. They're easy to apply, easy to remove, leave no residue, look cool and don't cost much.
I got clear dots. And since they're so dang cheap I may go pick up a pack of moongels tomorrow, if traffic isn't crazy...