DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-25-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Don Brewer

Hmm so I didn't find any topics on the drummer from Grand Funk Railroad, Don Brewer. I first saw him play by himself on a Modern Drummer's festival DVD I got back in 2000 (which included Mr. Billy Ward). I was wondering on your opinions on him?

As far as I've heard, he was (is) a very straightforward drummer, just what GFR needed; simple enough beats with adequate grooves, simple enough (but fast enough) fills, and a medium-heavy style which did justice to the band.
However, what's outstanding about him is the fact that he is a singing drummer, both backup AND lead.

Also, I got their live CD the yesterday and I was listening to his solo, which was very very long, but very very simple.. but still it kinda struck me.

Anyway, your thoughts?
Old 12-26-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Don Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffled Tom View Post
However, what's outstanding about him is the fact that he is a singing drummer, both backup AND lead.

Anyway, your thoughts?
I agree. I have great respect for anyone and everyone who can sing and drum simultaneously. Brewer, Henley, and of course, Phil Collins* all do great work as drummers and singers.

If I attempt to do so, my already abysmal singing suffers, as does my drumming; so I stick to the drums.

*Not so sure about Phil. Didn't Genesis have another drummer play while Phil sang, or was that only live? Either way, the man is a fantastic drummer.

Last edited by milkbetweenorangejuice; 12-26-2007 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:41 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Early Phil Collins Genesis (just after Peter Gabriel left) Phil did indeed drum and sing. Now Chester Thompson plays the drums for Genesis, or has done for about twenty five years. Phil rarely plays the kit anymore aside from the live drum duets, which is a shame because he was an excellent drummer. I really don't care for the direction Genesis eventually took or his individual songwriting efforts, but he was an excellent drummer.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Early Phil Collins Genesis (just after Peter Gabriel left) Phil did indeed drum and sing. Now Chester Thompson plays the drums for Genesis, or has done for about twenty five years. Phil rarely plays the kit anymore aside from the live drum duets, which is a shame because he was an excellent drummer. I really don't care for the direction Genesis eventually took or his individual songwriting efforts, but he was an excellent drummer.
Drumming and singing to 'A Trick Of The Tail' is really impressive. It is indeed a shame that he no longer plays the drums.

Incidentally, I don't really care for the post-Peter Gabriel work or his solo work, either. It is very unfortunate that the 'classic' Genesis lineup only put out four albums.

Boy that Don Brewer sure is something, isn't he?
Old 12-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Oh yes. He is. I used to be the singing drummer in an old band of mine and that was very, very difficult indeed. I could just about pull it off at best; at worst, we won't go there.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:59 AM

Yeah plus he still has it going for him at 59, his timing is still flawless, his fills and his set are still cool, he singing is still great, and his hair is still frickin' intense (albeit a very light shade of gray).
Old 12-27-2007, 02:30 PM

No more love for Don Brewer? =(