DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Default Triplet Drum Glove

Has anyone had a chance to try these out? It looks a little gimmicky to me but without trying them first I won't prejudge them. Apparently Modern Drummer magazine and the Percussive Arts Society each gave them a decent review. Rob from HandiDrummed.com also did a great review on his site.

(mods - sorry if there is already a thread on these, please feel free to move/merge/edit/delete as you see fit)
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2007, 10:46 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Triplet Drum Glove

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath View Post
Rob from HandiDrummed.com also did a great review on his site.
I've never tried these. The page on my site just gives information about them, no review. I have talked to a few people who have used them and said they were great. Judging by the online demo videos I don't think they're gimmicky, though I personally feel that if you don't have a physical need for them, they might get in your way a bit...at least until you get used to them.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:52 AM
Senior Consultant

I guess it's good if you have a physical issue that prevents you from holding the stick properly.

For the average drummer, I would have to say it's a gimmicky hunk of crap that is just another excuse not to get legit chops.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:38 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I've never tried these. The page on my site just gives information about them, no review.
My mistake. You have them listed under Products, and the review on your site has no credited author so I assumed it was you.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:24 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath View Post
My mistake. You have them listed under Products, and the review on your site has no credited author so I assumed it was you.
You're talking about this right? http://www.handidrummed.com/products...tdrumglove.php It's not really meant to be a review. It was written by me, as all the product pages are, but they're just something to give the details about the product. I have thought about a reviews section though.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:34 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Yup, that's it. The gloves do look interesting. I like how you can use any combination of the three palm straps depending on your needs.

I think having a review page on your site would be great, Rob.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:42 PM
lewisn27

it seems like a waste of money to me and just a novelty that would wear off in a day or two, but if you have a problem holding the stick it is a good idea.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:16 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

I reviewed them on the Drummer Cafe ... basically coming to the same conclusions that many of you have already alluded to. I ended up having to pull the review for reasons I won't get into.

After working with the gloves for awhile, I can see how they could benefit individuals who suffer from one or more of the following:
  • Dropping drumsticks
  • Too tight of a grip or fulcrum
  • Hand fatigue or injuries
  • Poor grip
I personally won't be using these gloves in the future; I have never liked playing with any gloves, and rarely come into a situation where I feel like I would even need them ... even with the benefits they claim. I'm happy with my grip(s) and I don't have a problem with dropping sticks, gripping the stick too tight, stick/brush/mallet alignment, etc. As for my students, I don't think I would ever want to start them out with these gloves ... unless they had some serious grip problems that I couldn't fix or help them with on my own. Even though the gloves do help with a basic alignment of the stick ... I don't agree with the phrase "perfect alignment" which the ad claims. Why? Because "perfect" is completely subjective and relative. My belief is that everyone's hands are different and therefore each person's grip is going to be slightly different. For me, the gloves just don't allow for complete mobility and flexibility with my approach.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:27 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I've been in touch with the distributor on those, and my first impression - without actually trying them, mind you - is that they may benefit some drummers, and may not work at all for others. I fall into the latter category.

I'm constantly reaching over and changing settings on both a sampler and mixer, frequently setting sticks down and picking them up, and occasionally adjusting the hi-hat clutch throughout the show. Having a stick affixed to either hand - even loosely - would slow down (or make impossible) my ability to do the show, undoubtedly causing missed cues and wrong settings. Ours is like a Broadway shown where timing is everything. Videos and clicks and the boss won't wait for me to grapple with a stick in the middle of a song where I may have only 2 beats to reach over and push a button, and get it right every time.

But, that's just me.

There are undoubtedly guys who never have to push a button or turn a dial, never have to play a cross-stick, never have to grab a soda, never have to turn a page, and don't mind sticks being affixed to their hands for an entire performance.

I'm not one of thsoe guys.

Bermuda
Old 03-21-2008, 12:35 AM

On the same token, I've seen a new kind of drumstick Vic Firth makes that has a rubber band on them, and It's designed to help beginners learn how to control the bounce without forcing the stick down. Like the sticks I mentioned, this seems very gimmicky, in my opinion...
Old 05-11-2011, 02:50 AM
Platinum Member

I ran across this article today on DRUM! magazines site:
http://www.drummagazine.com/features...-for-injuries/

The article discusses the benefits of using these gloves when recovering from an injury.
I have a re-occurring issue with a pinched nerve in my shoulder area that manifests itself as wrist pain, and it's been acting up lately, so I was intrigued.

After going to the manufactures website, I admit I'm a bit skeptical and was about to blow the product off.

But then I noticed that Matt Smith and Tim Waterson are listed on their endorser page http://store.drumglovemusic.com/tdgartists.html

So now I'm back to intrigued.

Has anyone used them? Matt, Tim, any comments?
Old 06-12-2011, 07:10 PM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I ran across this article today on DRUM! magazines site:
http://www.drummagazine.com/features...-for-injuries/

The article discusses the benefits of using these gloves when recovering from an injury.
I have a re-occurring issue with a pinched nerve in my shoulder area that manifests itself as wrist pain, and it's been acting up lately, so I was intrigued.

After going to the manufactures website, I admit I'm a bit skeptical and was about to blow the product off.

But then I noticed that Matt Smith and Tim Waterson are listed on their endorser page http://store.drumglovemusic.com/tdgartists.html

So now I'm back to intrigued.

Has anyone used them? Matt, Tim, any comments?
For drummers who have dry skin TDG will amaze you.
I use them mostly in the winter when my hands a re dry, or cracked.
Also i got them because sometimes in our duo ill play another instrument and having the TDGloves helps not having to pick up a stick and put it down
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
http://timwaterson.blogspot.com/