DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Remo heads on my ludwig kit.

So, I decided to dust off the Ludwigs and mount remo heads. I went with clear Emps. over ambassadors on the toms and a power stroke 3 on the kick.

Everything sounds fine.

The kick batter doesn't fit my drum very well. The hoop isn't in direct contact with the heads counter hoop. There a small gap. About 1/8th of an inch all the way around the hoop.

It's like the drums hoop is contacting the heads collar more than the heads counter hoop.I've had a few different heads on this drum and haven;t had a problem.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 12-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Remo heads on my ludwig kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
So, I decided to dust off the Ludwigs and mount remo heads. I went with clear Emps. over ambassadors on the toms and a power stroke 3 on the kick.

Everything sounds fine.

The kick batter doesn't fit my drum very well. The hoop isn't in direct contact with the heads counter hoop. There a small gap. About 1/8th of an inch all the way around the hoop.

It's like the drums hoop is contacting the heads collar more than the heads counter hoop.I've had a few different heads on this drum and haven;t had a problem.

I have that same gap. Hoop is perfectly round so I know it is not that.

I really wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
I have that same gap. Hoop is perfectly round so I know it is not that.

I really wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks for that. The head sounds and feels really good. It just seemed strange with the gap.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:57 AM

Hey Steady Freddy!

I've got the same gap with the Powerstroke 3 on my Ludwig four ply 22" bass. The head has been there for about a year and sounds great. I was concerned at first. However, I've noticed no problems with tuning or otherwise.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrider View Post
Hey Steady Freddy!

I've got the same gap with the Powerstroke 3 on my Ludwig four ply 22" bass. The head has been there for about a year and sounds great. I was concerned at first. However, I've noticed no problems with tuning or otherwise.
Thanks for the input my friend.

Yeah the head sounds great. No problems with the other heads either. All the drums sound really good. Still tweaking them, but I like what I'm hearing.

Here's a picture from the last time I used the Ludwig/Remo combination. This was from 1976.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2007, 12:40 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Yeah the head sounds great. No problems with the other heads either. All the drums sound really good. Still tweaking them, but I like what I'm hearing.

Here's a picture from the last time I used the Ludwig/Remo combination. This was from 1976.
That's an awesome pic Fred. I like those octobans / concert toms too.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 12-26-2007, 01:49 AM

Quote:

MAN, I envy you. I'd give anything to have lived in the 70's... =(
Old 12-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
That's an awesome pic Fred. I like those octobans / concert toms too.
The octobans were made from Slingerland shells. I was living in Texas when I ordered. them. By the time they were ready I was back in LA and had them shipped to me. Pro Drum in Hollywood mounted the Ludwig hardware. They were 8 X 10 and 10 X 10. (I think)

The concert toms were 12, 13, 14, 15. The floor toms were 16 and 18. The kick was a 26 X 14 and a 14 x 5 Supra. This kit started life as a Bonham kit. I later added the concert toms.

Here's another picture of the kit from the front. These pictures were just sent to me by one of the road crew guys that worked for us back in the day. The Guitar player is Steve Plunkett. He went on to play in a band called Autograph in the 80s and wrote the theme song for the TV show Seventh Heaven and the score to the movie "Rock Star."

He was an awesome player, singer, and song writter.
Attached Images

Last edited by Steady Freddy; 12-26-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffled Tom View Post
MAN, I envy you. I'd give anything to have lived in the 70's... =(
Thanks,

I'd give anything to remember it. =)
Old 12-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Pioneer Member

The fog is starting to clear.

In the picture on post #5 there is an anvil trap case behind me. It contained a spare snare, Probably a Rogers steel Dynasonic, spare pedal, and all the other gizmos to keep this kit running after months/years of hard use on the road.

On the front of the trap case there are two round black circles. One has some kind of red sticker on it. Those are the black dots thast used to come flying off the Remo CS heads.

I still have the trap case. It was the most road worthy peice of gear I have ever owned. I just couldn't sell it. Now it's full of DW stuff.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Pioneer Member

hey freddy -- have you tried the coated emps over the clear ambs? I am a clear sort of guy myself, but for some reason my ludwig just looks like it really wants coated heads. Right now I have EC2 coated over G1 clears, and I really think they sound dead -- the EC2's just kill the sound to my ears.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
hey freddy -- have you tried the coated emps over the clear ambs? I am a clear sort of guy myself, but for some reason my ludwig just looks like it really wants coated heads. Right now I have EC2 coated over G1 clears, and I really think they sound dead -- the EC2's just kill the sound to my ears.
Hey bro!

Hows it going. I haven't seen you around much lately. I'll probably get around to it. I'm pretty impressed with the Remo heads so far.

I have a set of coated G2s that I'll be running over clear G1s on my DW kit. I used coated Emps.and Ambasadors over clear Ambassadors back in the day. When I went with the concert toms I used CS black dot heads.

I have been using coated Ambassadors on a couple of snares and I really like them.

Nice to see you on the board again.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Hey bro!

Hows it going. I haven't seen you around much lately. I'll probably get around to it. I'm pretty impressed with the Remo heads so far.

I have a set of coated G2s that I'll be running over clear G1s on my DW kit. I used coated Emps.and Ambasadors over clear Ambassadors back in the day. When I went with the concert toms I used CS black dot heads.

I have been using coated Ambassadors on a couple of snares and I really like them.

Nice to see you on the board again.
love the coated ambs on snares -- i pretty much stick with those. I think i will switch to the coated emps and see how i like them. I like the G2's as well -- i think i have better luck with the evans coating than i do the remo.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:27 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Everything sounds fine.

This may sound stupid, especially to someone experienced like yourself, but regarding the gap between your bass drum hoop and the collar on the head, is the correct side of the hoop against the collar? I know with my Yamaha kit, the bass drum hoop is different on each side. One side is rounded a bit (audience side), the other side is flat to fit against the head. If I mistakenly put the hoop on backwards, it fits, but I get a gap like you describe. Maybe your Ludwig kick drum hoop has the same edge on both sides and it doesn't matter. If that's the case, it is what it is I guess...no biggie.

By the way, I remeber Autograph and their hit "Turn up the radio". Awesome 80's song. Very cool man, sweet old pictures!
Old 12-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

Those pics and stories ruled.
I've got some fun stories myself...I can still remember their names...one I wish I could forget hahaha!

I've had kick heads that had 'the gap' before too.

The hoop seemed to sit on the ridge where the head goes in and is glued into the hoop channel.

My last few C. Ambassadors for the kick have been fine though.

What a great drumhead. I have them on everything on my Ludwig kits.

Coated top, clear bottom.

Snare gets a Coated Emp w/top dot though. That head rules.

Super responsive for a heavy head, and it lasts forever.

I had one on for almost a full year before I decided to change it.

Great thread and pics, Maple finish Ludwigs....mmmm.....

One day I will get a set of those, maybe next couple years.

I just got a set of Red Sparkle this year, so the wife might notice......

New? Nahh, I just stripped the cover off.

No you didn't, there stacked up right there...and so are the black one's, so don't tell me you put the red on the black one's either....

No, that's not gonna work.

:)
Old 12-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrums21 View Post
This may sound stupid, especially to someone experienced like yourself, but regarding the gap between your bass drum hoop and the collar on the head, is the correct side of the hoop against the collar?

Thanks for the input. I double checked the hoop and it's on the drum with the flat side against the head.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Those pics and stories ruled.
I've got some fun stories myself...I can still remember their names...one I wish I could forget hahaha!

I've had kick heads that had 'the gap' before too.

The hoop seemed to sit on the ridge where the head goes in and is glued into the hoop channel.
That seems to be what's happening. As long as the thing doesn't blow up and flap in the wind it's cool with me.

I think I've got a coated emp. around here some place. I'll throw it on a snare and see how it goes.

Quote:
New? Nahh, I just stripped the cover off.

No you didn't, there stacked up right there...and so are the black one's, so don't tell me you put the red on the black one's either....

No, that's not gonna work.

:)
Now that's funny!!!!

Those red Ludwigs look fantastic. Really beautiful.

Last edited by Steady Freddy; 12-27-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Pioneer Member

Thinking about the Anvil trap case. I used to haul all my hardware around in that thing. Now I'd be hard pressed to fit a 9000 series hi hat stand in it.

I remember when I went to a GC after coming out of a thirty year non musical coma. They had a big DW kit on the floor. Double pedal, remote hat, and a couple more pedals hooked up to bells and blocks. I remember thinking it'd be easier to learn to fly a helicopter than play that thing. I knew I'd been away too long.

I heard from a chick I knew in 68 last week. My wife was very understanding. She only hit me a few times. It didn't bleed that bad and the swelling is going down. It only hurt a little bit.

She's better now. I should take advantage of her good cheer, and get another black one before she starts beating on me again.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thinking about the Anvil trap case. I used to haul all my hardware around in that thing. Now I'd be hard pressed to fit a 9000 series hi hat stand in it.

I remember when I went to a GC after coming out of a thirty year non musical coma. They had a big DW kit on the floor. Double pedal, remote hat, and a couple more pedals hooked up to bells and blocks. I remember thinking it'd be easier to learn to fly a helicopter than play that thing. I knew I'd been away too long.

I heard from a chick I knew in 68 last week. My wife was very understanding. She only hit me a few times. It didn't bleed that bad and the swelling is going down. It only hurt a little bit.

She's better now. I should take advantage of her good cheer, and get another black one before she starts beating on me again.
You better be careful Fred, or your wife is going to beat you into another 30 year coma, musical or not, he he.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 12-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Haha!! That's funny.

Do we do this "it's not new" thing because we just think they'll say "NO" to something, OR, do we just deep down think it's more fun to sneak something in?

Just something I've been pondering...

I've decided that I'm gonna order that 6.5 Hammered Bronze Tube lug Ludwig snare.
It's only $450.

And in 2 years I'll get a Maple finish Ludwig kit.
I just love that Natural finish...even though my wife hates it.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:11 PM

Say Karl, Yes, it's more fun to "sneak it in" and If you get caught, the old saying goes...It's easier to ask for forgiveness...!!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx1600 View Post
the old saying goes...It's easier to ask for forgiveness...!!!!
Yeah, if you get a "No", then you're kinda screwed....

Sneak it is.

Do we have a second?

:) :) :P!!
Old 12-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Yeah, if you get a "No", then you're kinda screwed....

Sneak it is.

Do we have a second?

:) :) :P!!
If they say yes you should buy a more expensive one than they agreed too. When the box comes it looks like any other box. A tan one.

If they say no then it gets shipped to your work place. Then you just need to sneak it into the house and go for the "this old thing" routine.

If they agree to buy you one, then you should buy one also and have one shipped to the house and the other to work.

So.... I second it!!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

Great pics Freddy....I too lived there back in the 70's. I wish I could remember some of lol.

Here is one memory I will never forget. Caught a nasty STD from a female companion from either Knoxville TN. or Jacksonville FL. By the time the band landed in Miami I needed a clinic fast. I found a clinic in the Yellow Pages and the guitar player was kind enough to drive me. Not knowing the area we arrive at a large medical complex the that took up both sides of the street. We walk in to the clinic (so we thought) I tell the receptionist why I'm here, she starts laughing at me! I check to make sure my fly is up...The guitar player turns red and walks out of the clinic, I then look around and notice animal pictures hanging on the wall...now I am red too. Just then the Vet walks out with a big grin and says's "sir,this is a veterinary office, the clinic your looking for is across the street." The good old day's
Old 12-30-2007, 03:26 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bsticks View Post
Great pics Freddy....I too lived there back in the 70's. I wish I could remember some of lol.

Here is one memory I will never forget. Caught a nasty STD from a female companion from either Knoxville TN. or Jacksonville FL. By the time the band landed in Miami I needed a clinic fast. I found a clinic in the Yellow Pages and the guitar player was kind enough to drive me. Not knowing the area we arrive at a large medical complex the that took up both sides of the street. We walk in to the clinic (so we thought) I tell the receptionist why I'm here, she starts laughing at me! I check to make sure my fly is up...The guitar player turns red and walks out of the clinic, I then look around and notice animal pictures hanging on the wall...now I am red too. Just then the Vet walks out with a big grin and says's "sir,this is a veterinary office, the clinic your looking for is across the street." The good old day's
That's a pretty funny story. The good news is that a shot or two took care of things like that. These days, oh boy, bad juju.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:52 PM

Karl C,

I'm in love with your red sparkle Luddies. Please post more pics of your kit. Prefferably some pics of it in a bubble bath, or sitting on a bearskin rug.

Anyway, about rour snare head. Is it a CS Emperor or just a coated Emp with a Dot? Or is that the same thing? I'm thinking of changing my snare head from a plain coated Emperor after playing a a coated CS on a rental kit.

--LG
Old 12-31-2007, 01:28 AM
Pioneer Member

I got an email from Wolfgang's bass player today. It had been 30 years. The keyboard guy passed away a few years ago. Wow! It will be fun to remember those days with the band.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:10 PM
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrider View Post
Hey Steady Freddy!

hahaha I had that gap too, I guess they all do because this isn't the first time i've heard about this problem, but the head sounds great even with the gap.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Pioneer Member

I mounted a PS3 ported reso head on my kick last night and it fit the same way the PS3 batter head did. Not very well. It's like the heads counter hoop is a little bigger than it should be. The bass drum's hoop doesn't sit flush. I'll let it sit for a couple of days and recheck the tension. The head sounds OK, and the feel is similar to the unported factory logo head it replaced.

I drug out my Ocheltree Heavy Metals 6.5 X 14 and threw an Ambassador on it. I messed with it for a while and kept cranking up the batter head. Then it came to life. This drums kind of a sleeper. It reminds me a lot of the early Surpras. Cranked up the rim shots really ring out. The center of the drum sounds nice and fat and, out on the edge it has a timbale type sound.

I'd been playing a Black Beauty of the same size for the past couple of months, and this drum has a lot more bite than the BB. Might be a bit much for some things. Cool drum though.

Anyway, that's the latest on my Remo experiment.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

I'm tempted to give Remo another shot for my next head change. Thinking about going old-school; coated Ambs all round on both sides of toms and kick, felt muffling strips on the kick and all. I'm really getting sick of my EMAD...
Old 02-16-2008, 02:37 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
I'm tempted to give Remo another shot for my next head change. Thinking about going old-school; coated Ambs all round on both sides of toms and kick, felt muffling strips on the kick and all. I'm really getting sick of my EMAD...
I like the EMAD for some things, but I know what you mean.

Remo has some timeless combinations. Emps over Ambasadors. Ambassadors top and bottom, or CSs on the batter side.

Every one should try em at least once.

Ambassadors as snare batters work real well on all the snares I've tried them on. I like the reverse black dots on snares too.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

I've noticed this counter-hoop phenomenon with my Ludwig kick as well...but it tunes up fine and sounds fantastic (now that I've figured out how to tune/muffle a 14" deep kick!)

The clear emp over ambass. combo is *awesome*. I've been using Evans for the past couple weeks and it's just not the same (EMAD on kick, G2 over G1 on toms, Genera Dry on the Black Beauty.) I'll be switching back soon, I think.

GAWD I love Ludwig drums!!
Old 02-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I've noticed this counter-hoop phenomenon with my Ludwig kick as well...but it tunes up fine and sounds fantastic (now that I've figured out how to tune/muffle a 14" deep kick!)

The clear emp over ambass. combo is *awesome*. I've been using Evans for the past couple weeks and it's just not the same (EMAD on kick, G2 over G1 on toms, Genera Dry on the Black Beauty.) I'll be switching back soon, I think.

GAWD I love Ludwig drums!!
if you want to help with my 14" deep ludwig kick, i would love the advise. The kick just has no balls at all -- my DW 20" is a cannon compared to it. Tips?

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
if you want to help with my 14" deep ludwig kick, i would love the advise. The kick just has no balls at all -- my DW 20" is a cannon compared to it. Tips?
That's funny...I was cursing mine until I got some insights from the forums.

The logical fact that someone pointed out to me is; it's never going to boom like a deep kick...but it can sound good. This is definitely true but you have to limit your expectations and not compare it to a 20" deep kick...that ain't gonna happen! :D

I found the best combo (so far) is a PS3 on the batter and the stock Ludwig "hazy white" reso head, no port hole. I folded up a small towel and laid it flat in the bottom of the drum, touching the reso head but not the batter. This produced a nice, fat punch with plenty of volume.

The EMAD heads just suck...I've resigned to the fact that I can't get the sound I'd like out of them...they're flat sounding and just too bright for my tastes...especially compared to a PS3.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
That's funny...I was cursing mine until I got some insights from the forums.

The logical fact that someone pointed out to me is; it's never going to boom like a deep kick...but it can sound good. This is definitely true but you have to limit your expectations and not compare it to a 20" deep kick...that ain't gonna happen! :D

I found the best combo (so far) is a PS3 on the batter and the stock Ludwig "hazy white" reso head, no port hole. I folded up a small towel and laid it flat in the bottom of the drum, touching the reso head but not the batter. This produced a nice, fat punch with plenty of volume.

The EMAD heads just suck...I've resigned to the fact that I can't get the sound I'd like out of them...they're flat sounding and just too bright for my tastes...especially compared to a PS3.
well, i was referring to my 20" x 17" kick, not my 20" deep kick.

I have not liked the remo heads on my kicks in the past -- i have been a huge aquarian supporter for kicks in the past, but i just cant get no love on the ludwig. This is what i have now:

Superkick II
Stock Ludwig Reso -- small port hole

i didnt like the sound -- it was open but not deep -- so i added an evans eq pillow. Now its deeper, but its dead. I can try the PS3 on the batter -- coated or clear? or do they make a coated batter? The EQ pillow may work in place of the towel, however its too big and does touch the batter slightly -- i think i could cut it down.

i do not typically like unported kicks just because the way the beater comes off the heads -- i dont bury it, but i tends to stay close to the head and i get the weird double taps when i play on unported heads. Thoughts?

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
well, i was referring to my 20" x 17" kick, not my 20" deep kick.

I have not liked the remo heads on my kicks in the past -- i have been a huge aquarian supporter for kicks in the past, but i just cant get no love on the ludwig. This is what i have now:

Superkick II
Stock Ludwig Reso -- small port hole

i didnt like the sound -- it was open but not deep -- so i added an evans eq pillow. Now its deeper, but its dead. I can try the PS3 on the batter -- coated or clear? or do they make a coated batter? The EQ pillow may work in place of the towel, however its too big and does touch the batter slightly -- i think i could cut it down.

i do not typically like unported kicks just because the way the beater comes off the heads -- i dont bury it, but i tends to stay close to the head and i get the weird double taps when i play on unported heads. Thoughts?
Ahh gotcha...well I'd still think that the extra 3" of depth would make a big difference. The difference between a 22"x18" and a 22"x14" is night-and-day.

I like unported heads better, myself, but it's subjective. I don't bury the beater at all and try to let it rebound as far as possible as well...different strokes. It may be my ears but I think I just get a better sound from unported kick resos, as well?

I did have the towel touching both heads at first, and that definitely killed the sound - try just touching one or the other instead. Maybe turn the EQ pillow sideways? I've never used one, so I'm not sure if that's possible.

They do make a coated PS3 but I haven't tried it...I've been using the clear and I love it...it's much darker and deeper than other kick heads I've tried. It has weird action though...it took a while to get used to...it's a bit softer.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Ahh gotcha...well I'd still think that the extra 3" of depth would make a big difference. The difference between a 22"x18" and a 22"x14" is night-and-day.

I like unported heads better, myself, but it's subjective. I don't bury the beater at all and try to let it rebound as far as possible as well...different strokes. It may be my ears but I think I just get a better sound from unported kick resos, as well?

I did have the towel touching both heads at first, and that definitely killed the sound - try just touching one or the other instead. Maybe turn the EQ pillow sideways? I've never used one, so I'm not sure if that's possible.

They do make a coated PS3 but I haven't tried it...I've been using the clear and I love it...it's much darker and deeper than other kick heads I've tried. It has weird action though...it took a while to get used to...it's a bit softer.
well its worth a shot -- i will give those a try. :) maybe with the PS3 i will have better action with an un ported head. However i will change the batter head and adjust the pillow first and see how that changes the sound. Thanks for your help!

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

On your 14" deep kick try this muffling (this works on any kick drum):

I've posted this before, but it really works great.

Use something in the shell to cut down on the sound bouncing around inside the drum--this keeps the 'inside the basketball' sound from happening.

1" foam that is held in place by strips of packaging (the kind with the 'strings' in it) tape works great.

If you want a hole, for a more full front head sound, use a small hole no bigger than 4".

The small hole keeps the full sound of most of the head, but lets the air out and stops the 'flutter' effect.

The 4" hole size is plenty big enough for basically any mic a sound guy would use.

If you don't use a hole, the foam is held in place and won't move around, so you're good.

Keep any muffling device you have in the shell from touching the batter head, but put it against the reso head just enough to cut any excess ring.

Some resonant tone is good, so you don't have to have it smashed against the head to kill the tone.

Use an non-muffled head--one ply 2 ply, coated, uncoated, whatever brand...doesn't matter.
What does matter is that it is a non-muffled head.

Tune it up nice to the sound you like.

Take a small towel, roll it up, and place it between the pedal post and the head.

This muffles the head plenty, for a punchy, but full sound, but not so much that it's totally dead.

The towel is small and does NOT affect pedal action at all.

You'll get the full sound out of your kick without the hassle of messing with the muffling every time you move the drum.

You can adjust the batter muffling (for more or less) in seconds, just by reaching down and moving the muffle device--rather than hitting the drum, getting up, reaching in the drum, hoping it's right, getting back behind the drum, hitting it...crap, that's not right...get up...repeat.....repeat...repeat.

Foam:

Muffle:

This method lets you use any regular ("regular" = less $$$) head you like, without having to spend a fortune on expensive 'specialty' heads, & your kick will sound great in rehearsal, and through a PA.

This works regardless if you play 'off' the head, or lay into it.

If you want a 'real product' for the muffle, there's a product advertised called a "Muff Bone" that sells for $20.

I've seen ads for it in Classic Drummer magazine.

The one I use is just some light polishing towels rolled up and slipped inside of a tube sock, and then the sock is closed off.
....it probably cost a total of $3-4 for the 3 towels used and the sock.
But, since there were 2 socks, and 6 polishing cloths in the pack, I got 2 muffles for my 3 or 4 bucks.

Just as an asside, (IMO) stay away from that new Remo head with the snap on outside muffling device (....the same idea as this??...hmmm...) and the foam rings attached to the head.
It's a crappy sounding head (IMO) and it's pretty expensive.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Pioneer Member

Thank you for this -- im going to try it. A question would be:

you mention to use a single or double ply non-muffled head -- is that on the batter, resonant? both?

an emperor over ambassador ideal? both ambassadors?

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

The non muffled head would be for both sides.

I use a Coated Ambassador batter, but that's just the head I like.

Even though it's a single ply, I haven't wanted for any more of a beefy tone, but my bass drum is a 26.

If you want a fatter tone on your kick, try a 2 ply, otherwise a single ply is still cool.

I've had good luck with Smooth White Emperors as batters in the past too.

The front would be just a regular single ply head...what ever brand you like.

That goes for the batter too, whatever you like, just a non-muffled head.

Good luck, I hope it works as good for you as it does for me.