DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-23-2007, 05:29 AM

Default Drum Dial vs. Tension Watch (Or is it even worth it?)

because i seriously struggle with my tuning, ive been looking into a drum dial or tension watch. im wondering (in your opinion, because ive heard everything from its garbage to a life saver) if you think they work, and if one of them is worth it.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum Dial vs. Tension Watch (Or is it even worth it?)

He's trying to get them down around $100 maybe a year or two.

http://circularscience.com/altindex.htm
Old 12-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Silver Member

A friend of mine has the Tama version of the drum dial and I used it on my DW's. I ended up tuning them by ear again. I never could get the sound I wanted with it. I fooled with my 10" tom for over an hour before I could everything set according to the dial and it still didn't sound right.

Now this was my first experience with it, and I don't want to down something after just one try, but it didn't go so well for me. I won't be purchasing one any time soon.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:33 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
He's trying to get them down around $100 maybe a year or two.

http://circularscience.com/altindex.htm
Looks more confusing than it's worth http://www.drummercafe.com/index.php...d=58&Itemid=29

The Drum Dial or Tension Watch is one thing, but this device turns tuning into a bigger ordeal than it has to be. I especially wonder how well it works on small toms or large toms/bass drums. In this video, it's being elevated by drum sticks off the rim. Well if you get a bass drum or an 18" floor tom (or a 16" floor if you don't have sticks that are long enough) you won't be able to do this and it will wind up just sitting on the head, not allowing the head to vibrate anyway. With a tom like an 8 or a 10 (maybe even a 12 from the looks of it), it may be too large of a device to sit on the drum.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

That Resotune looks like it could be cool in the future. I like the idea, however I think currently it is a bit bulky to be carrying around with the rest of the drums.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Senior Consultant

The resotune looks like a pain in the ass. I like the idea of using a DTS one-step tensioning system much better.

The drum dial works as a rough guide to help you get "in the ballpark". I use one. The better your edges are, the better it works.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:23 PM

I bought a Drum Dial after researching awhile and seeing that Tama's was basically the same thing but cost more.Got mine for $50.It was well worth it.Yeah,it gets you close,but the biggest help for me is speed.Then you can fine tune.I use it initially,then i might not need it for months because i can maintain by ear.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

Bought a Drum dial, not to impressed. Received assistance from another Drummerworld forum member tuning using a pitch pipe, it's cheaper and really gets the drums tuned up nice. Pitch tuning is working with me.

By the way, anyone interested in my Drum dial?
Old 12-26-2007, 08:48 PM

I'd say that stuff is all for concert percussion and not Drumset heads.

It would probably work great for timpani and resistont heads but for drumset heads which may have dents and make it sound worse than u could youself is worthless.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odranaz View Post
because i seriously struggle with my tuning, ive been looking into a drum dial or tension watch. im wondering (in your opinion, because ive heard everything from its garbage to a life saver) if you think they work, and if one of them is worth it.
Odranaz, if you can't tune very well, get one! Drumdial or tension watch, but not the torque key thing. I always had a tough time tuning, it would take me all day to do. These tuners, while not the end all to tuning, gets your heads evenly tensioned and sounding good really quick. It's up to you to pick the tension, the drumdial came with a pamphlet with starting points. Pick out a number for the top and bottom, tune them all that way and tweek from there if you want to. There are others who swear by them, and those who swear at them. They work. After you find a sound you like, write the number down, and you can get back if the tuning drops. I don't use mine every time i bring out my kit, but I do use it regularly, opening up the cases and checking them so they'll be ready when I am. If I'm experimenting, I can easily get the drum back to where I started. It's not cheap, but I would spend it again if mine broke.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTIMATEDRUMMER View Post
I'd say that stuff is all for concert percussion and not Drumset heads.

It would probably work great for timpani and resistont heads but for drumset heads which may have dents and make it sound worse than u could youself is worthless.
If you're denting your heads one inch from the rim, you have problems that tuning won't help.

:D
Old 12-28-2007, 06:11 AM

Don't bother with the drumdial, I got one a while back and I was not impressed.
knowing how to tune by ear is a must, so bite the bullet and learn how, it's faster, and the only way you really learn how to get the sound you want out of your drum.

A good way to get your ears trained for tuning beter I find, is to sit at a keyboard and play different intervals, then hum them outloud. This will get you more familiar with noticing those little differences in pitch around the head.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bears_eating_drums View Post
Don't bother with the drumdial, I got one a while back and I was not impressed.
knowing how to tune by ear is a must, so bite the bullet and learn how, it's faster, and the only way you really learn how to get the sound you want out of your drum.

A good way to get your ears trained for tuning beter I find, is to sit at a keyboard and play different intervals, then hum them outloud. This will get you more familiar with noticing those little differences in pitch around the head.
That's fine and dandy when you have the skill to tune by ear. What I found with the drum dial is you can hear when the drum is close to being in tune to itself. Most never had someone sit down and show them how and what to listen for. Plus, I would rather spend my time playing than tuning. For the novice tuner, it is definitely worth the investment. For ear tuner, it reinforces their confidence in their tuning. It's not perfect, nor is tuning by ear. Why is it so acceptable in other instrument communities to use a tuning device, but not in drums or percussion? Like they're not a master of their craft, yet when they go into studios, they have to hire folks like Jeff Ocheltree to come in get that "sound" they want to replicate. I like to experiment and change my tuning. Doing so by ear required me to completely detune and try again. Not so with the drumdial. I know the settings that I was at before and after. All that has been required after using drumdial was a couple of minute adjustments on a few lugs and the entire head sang in harmony. For just a quick tune before a jam session, I don't even go any further than setting it to the tension, and playing and it still sounds great.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themac5150 View Post
That's fine and dandy when you have the skill to tune by ear. What I found with the drum dial is you can hear when the drum is close to being in tune to itself.
I have to completely agree. I'm no great tuner for my drums by any means. My DD helps a great deal in getting close, then I do fine tuning by ear. I've found it really helps me on the toms. I don't need it on the kick. I haven't really gotten it to work well on my snare. I'm still looking for the perfect snare sound. It may be just the snare though.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:53 AM

I find the Drumdial very helpful in getting the initial tone I'm after, then I fine tune the head by ear. The Drumdial gets me close enough to play, but I get really good tone when I finish the job by ear. I tried the Evans torque key. I think the only thing that is good for is getting even tension when putting on a new head, other than that it stays in the closet.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:28 PM

I have the tama tension watch. Bought it years ago when it was the only thing like it on the market with the intention of ballancing timpani heads. It works well for this and drumset heads as well. You will always check tuning with your ears in the end.
I'd highly recomend it to people who need help with tuning. Gets you to a starting point faster, and gives you an accurate reference.
This measures tension of the head. Stay away from other devices that measure the torque of the tuning lugs, not accurate.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:46 AM

I bought the Tension Watch today and it is not much of a help.
People think that when they buy it all they have to do is just set all the lugs to the same number... BUT!
In reality, the indicated number is the tension measure for two opposite lugs and even the adjacent lugs, becuase the tension of one lug is inter-dependant to the other lug. Thus believing that the tension watch will give you the same tension everywhere is wrong.
Anyways... tune by ear, not by numbers. This is a nice gimick!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:36 AM

Do anyone know which one is better?