DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-22-2007, 02:55 AM
KONA KONA is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: canada
Posts: 809
Default I need a snare stand that my 14" snare with wood hoops will fit into.

I recentley bought wood hoops for my Gretsch 14" snare drum. I'm just now sorting out a problem where the batter hoop did not have a notch for the throwoff - I've reordered a notched hoop and R-Class Dunnett throwoff.

My new problem is that the snare won't fit into my Pearl S-800 stand - the stand won't open wide enough. The snare is almost 16" wide with the wood reso hoop mounted.

My retailer just informed me that the Pearl S-2000 is not available anymore (that one would fit).

Does anyone know if the Gibraltar 9600 Ultar Adjust stand will work?

What do you guys use for your 14" wood hooped snare?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Mendozart's Avatar
Mendozart Mendozart is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,338
Default Re: I need a snare stand that my 14" snare with wood hoops will fit into.

I know for sure the Tama HS70WN will fit the wood hoops. I went to the local GC and started trying the different stands and the Tama was the only one. Probably the HS700WN will also fit , but I'm not certain.
__________________
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-22-2007, 08:22 AM
KONA KONA is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: canada
Posts: 809
Default Re: I need a snare stand that my 14" snare with wood hoops will fit into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
I know for sure the Tama HS70WN will fit the wood hoops. I went to the local GC and started trying the different stands and the Tama was the only one. Probably the HS700WN will also fit , but I'm not certain.

Thanks - I'll look into it.

I still want to find out if the Gibraltar 9606 Ultar Adjust stand will work for me.
__________________

Last edited by KONA; 12-22-2007 at 09:34 AM. Reason: adding something
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-22-2007, 06:54 PM
criz p. critter's Avatar
criz p. critter criz p. critter is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 732
Default Re: I need a snare stand that my 14" snare with wood hoops will fit into.

I just recently checked out the Pearl S-2000 when I was looking for a second snare to put my rack tom on. That is one awesome stand: infinitely adjustable and super heavy duty. I ended up getting a S-800 simply for the price and the fact that I didn't need something that nice just for the tom.

I wonder about that statement about the S-2000 not being available... Seems stupid to discontinue such a great stand, unless Pearl is coming out with a new version of it. But whatever, you can still order it online! I just did a search.
__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. --The Dude
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-22-2007, 08:25 PM
KONA KONA is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: canada
Posts: 809
Default Re: I need a snare stand that my 14" snare with wood hoops will fit into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by criz p. critter View Post
I just recently checked out the Pearl S-2000 when I was looking for a second snare to put my rack tom on. That is one awesome stand: infinitely adjustable and super heavy duty. I ended up getting a S-800 simply for the price and the fact that I didn't need something that nice just for the tom.

I wonder about that statement about the S-2000 not being available... Seems stupid to discontinue such a great stand, unless Pearl is coming out with a new version of it. But whatever, you can still order it online! I just did a search.
Yes - it is crazy to discontinue that stand. I'm thinking my retailer can't get it from his "big Box-type" warehouse, they're a chain store and if they don't have it stocked in their warehouse it shows as unavailable on his computer invantory. I would rather buy locally but if I can't get it here I'll go online for sure.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-22-2007, 09:59 PM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I need a snare stand that my 14" snare with wood hoops will fit into.

I just checked my Gibraltar 8606 flat base snare stand and it would fit a snare with wooden hoops. Opening it up almost all the way and putting my 14" snare with diecasts in so it rested on the bottom two claws, I had about 2 1/4" distance from the hoop to the top claw. So if the diameter is 16" with your hoops, it should fit fine, and I'm sure any Gibraltar stand will be the same.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-23-2007, 12:07 AM
KONA KONA is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: canada
Posts: 809
Default Re: I need a snare stand that my 14" snare with wood hoops will fit into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I just checked my Gibraltar 8606 flat base snare stand and it would fit a snare with wooden hoops. Opening it up almost all the way and putting my 14" snare with diecasts in so it rested on the bottom two claws, I had about 2 1/4" distance from the hoop to the top claw. So if the diameter is 16" with your hoops, it should fit fine, and I'm sure any Gibraltar stand will be the same.
Thanks for that.

I'm looking at the 9606 Ultra Adjust so this is good news.

I also really like the looks of the DW 9300 Series - I'll be checking both out.

Just as an aside - it would be nice if the snare drum manufacturer would mention the ability of their stands to accommodate wooden hooped (14" or larger) snares if indeed that was a feature of the stand. So far I've just been able to check weight, & height etc. Just a thought since there are a lot of wood hooped snares out there these days. And to be fare, I've only checked into a few of the bigger companies.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-24-2007, 09:25 PM
danander11's Avatar
danander11 danander11 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 326
Default Re: I need a snare stand that my 14" snare with wood hoops will fit into.

If all else fails, take a look at Yamaha's SS940. Infinitly adjustable, heavy duty, and it has 4 arms for the snare to rest on.. It's a great snare stand.

Merry Christmas!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com