DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-22-2007, 02:55 AM
Silver Member

Default I need a snare stand that my 14" snare with wood hoops will fit into.

I recentley bought wood hoops for my Gretsch 14" snare drum. I'm just now sorting out a problem where the batter hoop did not have a notch for the throwoff - I've reordered a notched hoop and R-Class Dunnett throwoff.

My new problem is that the snare won't fit into my Pearl S-800 stand - the stand won't open wide enough. The snare is almost 16" wide with the wood reso hoop mounted.

My retailer just informed me that the Pearl S-2000 is not available anymore (that one would fit).

Does anyone know if the Gibraltar 9600 Ultar Adjust stand will work?

What do you guys use for your 14" wood hooped snare?
Old 12-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: I need a snare stand that my 14" snare with wood hoops will fit into.

I know for sure the Tama HS70WN will fit the wood hoops. I went to the local GC and started trying the different stands and the Tama was the only one. Probably the HS700WN will also fit , but I'm not certain.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 12-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: I need a snare stand that my 14" snare with wood hoops will fit into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
I know for sure the Tama HS70WN will fit the wood hoops. I went to the local GC and started trying the different stands and the Tama was the only one. Probably the HS700WN will also fit , but I'm not certain.

Thanks - I'll look into it.

I still want to find out if the Gibraltar 9606 Ultar Adjust stand will work for me.

Last edited by KONA; 12-22-2007 at 09:34 AM. Reason: adding something
Old 12-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Silver Member

I just recently checked out the Pearl S-2000 when I was looking for a second snare to put my rack tom on. That is one awesome stand: infinitely adjustable and super heavy duty. I ended up getting a S-800 simply for the price and the fact that I didn't need something that nice just for the tom.

I wonder about that statement about the S-2000 not being available... Seems stupid to discontinue such a great stand, unless Pearl is coming out with a new version of it. But whatever, you can still order it online! I just did a search.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by criz p. critter View Post
I just recently checked out the Pearl S-2000 when I was looking for a second snare to put my rack tom on. That is one awesome stand: infinitely adjustable and super heavy duty. I ended up getting a S-800 simply for the price and the fact that I didn't need something that nice just for the tom.

I wonder about that statement about the S-2000 not being available... Seems stupid to discontinue such a great stand, unless Pearl is coming out with a new version of it. But whatever, you can still order it online! I just did a search.
Yes - it is crazy to discontinue that stand. I'm thinking my retailer can't get it from his "big Box-type" warehouse, they're a chain store and if they don't have it stocked in their warehouse it shows as unavailable on his computer invantory. I would rather buy locally but if I can't get it here I'll go online for sure.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:59 PM
fourstringdrums

I just checked my Gibraltar 8606 flat base snare stand and it would fit a snare with wooden hoops. Opening it up almost all the way and putting my 14" snare with diecasts in so it rested on the bottom two claws, I had about 2 1/4" distance from the hoop to the top claw. So if the diameter is 16" with your hoops, it should fit fine, and I'm sure any Gibraltar stand will be the same.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I just checked my Gibraltar 8606 flat base snare stand and it would fit a snare with wooden hoops. Opening it up almost all the way and putting my 14" snare with diecasts in so it rested on the bottom two claws, I had about 2 1/4" distance from the hoop to the top claw. So if the diameter is 16" with your hoops, it should fit fine, and I'm sure any Gibraltar stand will be the same.
Thanks for that.

I'm looking at the 9606 Ultra Adjust so this is good news.

I also really like the looks of the DW 9300 Series - I'll be checking both out.

Just as an aside - it would be nice if the snare drum manufacturer would mention the ability of their stands to accommodate wooden hooped (14" or larger) snares if indeed that was a feature of the stand. So far I've just been able to check weight, & height etc. Just a thought since there are a lot of wood hooped snares out there these days. And to be fare, I've only checked into a few of the bigger companies.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:25 PM

If all else fails, take a look at Yamaha's SS940. Infinitly adjustable, heavy duty, and it has 4 arms for the snare to rest on.. It's a great snare stand.

Merry Christmas!