DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 12-18-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Bass Drum Pedal

Ok i have a Iron Cobra Jr. I find my self changing the spring tension at least once a week. i dont know what a good tension to make the bass drum beats faster. I need help

any tips ?
Old 12-19-2007, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Bass Drum Pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero View Post
Ok i have a Iron Cobra Jr. I find my self changing the spring tension at least once a week. i dont know what a good tension to make the bass drum beats faster. I need help

any tips ?
I have the same pedal, but its a the double pedal kind.
It's a heavy pedal, so you'll have to get used it. Or you can sell it and buy one of those P-120 pedals from pearl.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:40 AM
Gold Member

faster players generally use higher tensions. Make sure that the weights are all the way up and the springs are all the way loaded for what most people say is maximum speed. I like it that way personally.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:27 AM
Pioneer Member

Higher tension will cause it to snap back and forth faster i guess, but i think it might tire your legs out a little faster, and up to a point just make it flat out harder to use the pedal.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Higher tension will cause it to snap back and forth faster i guess, but i think it might tire your legs out a little faster, and up to a point just make it flat out harder to use the pedal.
I disagree, it's not like they are forcing your legs back with 20lbs of force, momentum keeps them going almost, you just have to help them change direction.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:

any tips ?
There's your problem right there. Put it on a medium tension and get used to it, you're not giving your foot enough time to adjust to the new settings so your playing is affected. I personally play a fairly low tension, but I've played at all tensions at various points. The fact is that you need to give your foot time to adjust, continually changing your tension says to me that you're looking for a reason as to why you can't get the notes out on the bass drum. It's more likely a technique issue than an equipment issue, improve your technique sticking to a consistent tension and then you'll find improvement comes much quicker than when you're constantly adjusting.

Only when your technique is solid should you know what you need to do to the pedal to make it more comfortable.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:33 PM

I failed to mention that i have the double pedal 1
and 2

i have the speed but like i find my self losing control of the speed. Ill like either go faster and lose the timing will slow down and be off and mess up the whole groove.

But ill try the sticking to one tension. I asked some of my friends who play and they said they play more loose
Old 12-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

i have the speed but like i find my self losing control of the speed. Ill like either go faster and lose the timing will slow down and be off and mess up the whole groove.
Your concentrating on running before you have learned how to walk correctly. And blaming your shoes when you trip.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

i have the speed but like i find my self losing control of the speed. Ill like either go faster and lose the timing will slow down and be off and mess up the whole groove

any tips ?

Sounds like you're 'over=playing' your pedal. Over playing means the spring is too loose, your foot is faster than the rebound of the foot board. You end up with a blank second stroke on a double, or fast singles aren't possible. You can only play as fast as the pedal.

Playing fast comes from building the muscles in your foot. Spring resistance/playing will (eventually) strengthen your feet, it takes time. Don't be afraid to tighten the springs if you feel strong one day and loosen when you feel a little out of it another day.

A good starting point is tighten up your springs to where you can't pull anything off comfortably, then back off till you 'noticeably' over-play the pedal. Somewhere in-between is where you want to start. As you get stronger, increase tension a half-turn or so when you feel yourself over=playing'.

Its small adjustments on the spring. Don't worry about both feet being the same tension. left may be stronger than right even when right is primary, no rules.

The main thing is to recognize (get acquainted with) when you're over=playing and when your under-playing -not able to pull anything off due to too much tension.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post

i have the speed but like i find my self losing control of the speed. Ill like either go faster and lose the timing will slow down and be off and mess up the whole groove

any tips ?

Sounds like you're 'over=playing' your pedal. Over playing means the spring is too loose, your foot is faster than the rebound of the foot board. You end up with a blank second stroke on a double, or fast singles aren't possible. You can only play as fast as the pedal.

Playing fast comes from building the muscles in your foot. Spring resistance/playing will (eventually) strengthen your feet, it takes time. Don't be afraid to tighten the springs if you feel strong one day and loosen when you feel a little out of it another day.

A good starting point is tighten up your springs to where you can't pull anything off comfortably, then back off till you 'noticeably' over-play the pedal. Somewhere in-between is where you want to start. As you get stronger, increase tension a half-turn or so when you feel yourself over=playing'.

Its small adjustments on the spring. Don't worry about both feet being the same tension. left may be stronger than right even when right is primary, no rules.

The main thing is to recognize (get acquainted with) when you're over=playing and when your under-playing -not able to pull anything off due to too much tension.

wow i never thought of it that way thanks.