DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 12-17-2007, 06:32 AM
Silver Member

Default Oops! Fooling Around at Ebay

Sign in and see this auction going with less than five minutes remaining. A 60's Slingerland 8 lug WMP, 3 ply. It's at $150, so I figure, what the heck, let's get a bid in and see what happens. I type in $250 and end up with the thing at $202.50.I will report once I get it. Here is the copy and a few pic's from the ad. I couldn't get in too much trouble with this price, but what do you guys think? A good intro to the old classic wood jazz sound? I think I'll put a Remo Fyberskin on it and a new reso. Practice the brushes. Joey

"Up for auction is a 1960's Slingerland "Hollywood Ace" snare drum in great original condition. All original except for used bottom Remo head. 5.5"x14". 8 lug. Original Black and Brass Niles badge #118041. Shell is 3ply with Maple interior and solid Maple reinforcing rings stamped P. Factory painted interior. No extra holes or modifications. Original white marine pearl covering has yellowed a good bit but otherwise looks great. Still glossy with tight seam. COB Stick Saver hoops look great with usual minor wear with the worst ding shown in photo. Rapid strainer looks and works great. Butt plate is excellent. Sound King Lugs show some minor pitting and wear but still nice. Nice small knob muffler works great. Original Slingerland 16 strand wires with new Ludwig snare cord. Nice original tension rods and washers. Interior and factory bearing edges are untouched and are in excellent vintage condition. I've included a scan from the the Slingerland 1967 catalog. This drum sounds awesome with a great brass rimshot. Super clean and will be ready to play. NO RESERVE."

Last edited by joeybeats; 12-17-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Oops! Fooling Around at Ebay

wow, thats one hell of a nice snare. your story pretty much sums up why i love eBay so much

Old 12-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Nice find! The drum looks to be very well-taken care of.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

woah, the condition is amazing! Very nice find indeed :D

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 12-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Silver Member

Thanks, guys. I'm not so certain if I got a great deal or what, but I am pretty sure if it is what the pic's show and the copy says, it will be fine. Particularly if the drum sounds nice, how can you go wrong for $200?! Anyway, I was looking at Zambizzi's thread with those pretty white Ludwigs and it made going to ebay come to mind. When I found this three day sale about to end, I quickly typed in Slingerland Hollywood Ace into google and found this link ...
http://www.vintagedrum.com/category/...nd/Slingerland
Did you see that gorgeous Champagne sparkle mint condition snare for $500? That looks awesome ... one of you guys should snap it up!

I saw that they were going for $400 and $500 over there, but in very nice condition. The ebay ad had only one bid so I figured something was wrong with the drum, but then again, for $200, how bad could it be? So, I made the bid and won.

Today I paid for it and hope the Christmas rush doesn't mean I won't it get until '08. Anyway, I did some searching around on the net and found that it is probably made in 65 or 66 and is mahogany-poplar- maple, from outside in, which is how most of the regular shells were made at Slingerland. Here is what I found for those of you who have any further interest in vintage Slingerlands. I'm pretty sure my shell is the one on top of this page, it looks exactly like it to me anyway. What do you think. Same maple reinforcement hoops? And screws?
http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/drc...3_shells9.html
and that the snare was made in or around 65-66, according to the article and graph in this link http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/drc...ers_page1.html

In any event, interesting history on how they just tossed the badges into a bin. Great stuff... lol. And much fun with the ebay purchase. I will report after I get this guy home. I put the rest of the pic's from the ad up above, the ding doesn't look too bad. I'm planning on playing it anyway, not placing it in a trophy case. Joey

Last edited by joeybeats; 12-17-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:18 PM

my high school has that exact same snare (same finish too)...It's a great one too.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

Score!!!

Old 12-20-2007, 05:24 AM
Silver Member

Thanks, guys. I'll let you know if it sounds as good as it looks in the very near future. I hope to have the snare before Christmas. Joey
Old 12-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Silver Member

I did receive the drum in time for Christmas. I put a new coated ambassador and hazy snare side on the drum ... it sounds very sweet! It also looks fabulous. I searched around the net and do believe I got a very good price on this drum at ebay.

I was concerned that a small but very strong magnet stuck to the hoops. I say stuck, but really, only a very slight attraction, but it does hold to gravity. The seller offered to replace the drum or the hoops, whatever I wanted. Quite fair. He suggested that the magnet was sticking due to the thick chrome that Slingerland used, and I think he is correct.

The only other interesting note about the drum is something you guys probably know about, but caught me by surprise. The snare bed is cut all the way to what appears to be the wrap, maybe the outside ply is there, but not sure as I don't see as well as I used to. I have no idea how that can be, but apparently that is how wooden snares, at least Slingerland vintage snares, were cut.

One thing I do not understand is the muffler. Why would anyone want to muffle this great sound? LOL Joking, kinda, but really do not get why and under what conditions one would use a muffler.

In any event, the heads are on and I am now bopping along with a woody vintage sound. Quite nice! Thanks again to all for putting up with my excitement over this small purchase. Joey
Old 12-28-2007, 05:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeats View Post
I was concerned that a small but very strong magnet stuck to the hoops. I say stuck, but really, only a very slight attraction, but it does hold to gravity. The seller offered to replace the drum or the hoops, whatever I wanted. Quite fair. He suggested that the magnet was sticking due to the thick chrome that Slingerland used, and I think he is correct.
Out of curiosity, why does it concern you? I'm sorry, I find this kind of funny. Does the magnet get in the way of your playing?

That magnet (even a weak one) should stick to any of your drum hardware, assuming it is chrome plated nickel. It's the magnetically juicy nickel your magnet wants, not the chrome. ;)

Sorry, useless side bar there. I just finished a chapter on electromagnets.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
Out of curiosity, why does it concern you? I'm sorry, I find this kind of funny. Does the magnet get in the way of your playing?

That magnet (even a weak one) should stick to any of your drum hardware, assuming it is chrome plated nickel. It's the magnetically juicy nickel your magnet wants, not the chrome. ;)

Sorry, useless side bar there. I just finished a chapter on electromagnets.
A chapter on electromagnets? Doesn't sound as thrilling as a chapter from Reed or Ramsey's book! Anyway, thanks for that info.

The reason I was concerned is because the hoops are supposed to be COB, not COSteel. I wasn't sure why that magnet was attracted at all, but the chrome seems to be the answer. Again, it isn't a strong attraction, just slight. It isn't like the pull on the Black Beauty chrome over steel hoops ... magnet slams right next to that, and as you suggested, the rest of the steel hardware. There is no attraction to the shell of the Black Beauty which is COB, and that was what I was expecting with the COB hoops. Hope I didn't add to the confusion here. Thanks again for the reply. Joey