DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 12-17-2007, 06:55 AM
Silver Member

Default Written Communication

I'm a pretty frequent visitor to these forums and find a lot of interest in the posts I read here. One thing is getting increasingly frustrating for me. Many of the posts I read exhibit horrible writing skills. Please understand I'm not trying to be the "literature police" or just being elitist. The problem is that sometimes I have to re-read posts two or three times just to understand what the writer is saying. Some of this is just poor use of grammar, misuse of capital or lower case letters, some is incorrect spelling, some is mis-punctuation or the lack of it altogether. I usually take a look at the location or the writer. In some situations English is not the primary language of the author and of course that comes into consideration. However, when I see posts by people who are at least in secondary education in places like the US and UK butchering the language it leads me to wonder if they are not getting a decent education in the written word or if they just don't care. Am I the only stick in the mud that feels this way?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: Written Communication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Stoltman View Post
I'm a pretty frequent visitor to these forums and find a lot of interest in the posts I read here. One thing is getting increasingly frustrating for me. Many of the posts I read exhibit horrible writing skills. Please understand I'm not trying to be the "literature police" or just being elitist. The problem is that sometimes I have to re-read posts two or three times just to understand what the writer is saying. Some of this is just poor use of grammar, misuse of capital or lower case letters, some is incorrect spelling, some is mis-punctuation or the lack of it altogether. I usually take a look at the location or the writer. In some situations English is not the primary language of the author and of course that comes into consideration. However, when I see posts by people who are at least in secondary education in places like the US and UK butchering the language it leads me to wonder if they are not getting a decent education in the written word or if they just don't care. Am I the only stick in the mud that feels this way?
In the sentence that begins “Some of this is just poor use of grammar,” the first comma is used to separate clauses where a conjunction followed by a definitive article is actually required. The word "mispunctuated" is not hyphenated, and the syntactic construction "mis-punctuation or the lack of it" doesn't make sense. "UK" should be "the UK," otherwise you have a single definitive article marking multiple proper nouns. The word "lowercase" is not hyphenated. Perhaps by "location or the writer" you meant "location of the writer" as that would have made more sense. In your last sentence you use the incorrect object for the preposition in the relative clause. It should read "who feels," rather than "that feels," unless of course you are in fact literally a stick.

This is a forum for drummers, not grammarians, and I make no assumptions about the education level, language skills, or learning abilities of our contributing members. Therefore I never point out spelling, grammar, or stylistic errors, unless of course someone really begs for it.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Pioneer Member

The first post I made on here was very critical of the grammar and spelling used by some of the members on this forum. Big mistake. Like Dogbreath said, we're drummers, not English majors.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:09 PM

... and for many of us, English is a second language.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:41 PM

[quote=DogBreath;388891]In the sentence that begins “Some of this is just poor use of grammar,” the first comma is used to separate clauses where a conjunction followed by a definitive article is actually required. The word "mispunctuated" is not hyphenated, and the syntactic construction "mis-punctuation or the lack of it" doesn't make sense. "UK" should be "the UK," otherwise you have a single definitive article marking multiple proper nouns. The word "lowercase" is not hyphenated. Perhaps by "location or the writer" you meant "location of the writer" as that would have made more sense. In your last sentence you use the incorrect object for the preposition in the relative clause. It should read "who feels," rather than "that feels," unless of course you are in fact literally a stick.QUOTE]

Hey DogBreath,
Our new arch guardian of the grammar! Very impressive and made me chuckle!
Old 12-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Pioneer Member

To be frank, I was actually thinking before I read this thread that it was about how good the quality of written communication is. I mean, it's nt as if every1 is goin rond taukin like dis as if we r 2 yr olds. I think what irritates me more is how people complain too much, no offense meant by that, but women and kids dying in LEDC's due to hunger and AIDS is more of an issue than how people tend to write their comments.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

I knew that posting my opinion would put a bullseye on me for being some kind of jerk. Thanks for the corrections DB. I too am a drummer not an English major. I thought I made it clear that my intention wasn't to be a snob but to better understand the thoughts that are being expressed by members of these forums. The internet is all about communication and I find it much easier to do that with my fellow drummers when I don't have to decipher what a poster is saying. Enough said. I'll go back to working on a cure for AIDS, world hunger, or maybe just practice rudiments for an hour. Best wishes.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Pioneer Member

Hahaha, sorry I didn't mean to sound bitter. Your intentions were good, but I was just trying to say that compared to other places on the net, here is a pretty good place. But yes, I do agree that if people wrote in clear English then there wouldn't be any trouble at all. Again, no offense meant..
Old 12-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I don't care about small things like DB's post was getting at.
There was actually only one thing that I was getting at and it wasn't very subtle. If one is here to talk drums, this forum is a bounty. If one cares to complain about the writing mistakes of others, it usually comes across as "My mistakes don't bother me but yours do." And of course I am quite happy to help you see your own errors, should you choose to point out someone else's.

Quote:
I knew that posting my opinion would put a bullseye on me for being some kind of jerk. Thanks for the corrections DB. I too am a drummer not an English major. I thought I made it clear that my intention wasn't to be a snob but to better understand the thoughts that are being expressed by members of these forums. The internet is all about communication and I find it much easier to do that with my fellow drummers when I don't have to decipher what a poster is saying. Enough said. I'll go back to working on a cure for AIDS, world hunger, or maybe just practice rudiments for an hour. Best wishes.
I'm not an English major either. In fact I have no college degree and I was actually held back twice in school. You took my point quite well I think, and I thank you for your humble response and your lack of animosity. That speaks volumes about your character. Enjoy this forum for what it is, learn from the community what you can, and help others when you are able. Anything else may be asking for more than is reasonable to expect.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

Ok, I'm off the soapbox but I stand by my feelings that we all could benefit from trying to communicate with each other as clearly as possible. End of subject from my side of things.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Ok, I'm off the soapbox but I stand by my feelings that we all could benefit from trying to communicate with each other as clearly as possible. End of subject from my side of things.
LOL, fair enough. .
Old 12-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

and some of us are lazy teenagers that like firefox because it has spell check.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:05 AM
Administrator

Because I am such a lousy typist, I always proof read everything I post. That comes also from doing papers in school that were graded. Although I am just a dumb Phys. Ed major, in order to get my teaching degree, I had to take 4 college English courses where spelling, punctuation, and grammar counted.
As for this forum, I would like to see some of the posts better constructed but not to the point where I would comment since I don't know the background or education level of those posting. Its frustrating at times but its about drumming and nothing could be more embarrassing than to tell someone that they misspelled something while misspelling misspelled.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath View Post
In the sentence that begins “Some of this is just poor use of grammar,” the first comma is used to separate clauses where a conjunction followed by a definitive article is actually required. The word "mispunctuated" is not hyphenated, and the syntactic construction "mis-punctuation or the lack of it" doesn't make sense. "UK" should be "the UK," otherwise you have a single definitive article marking multiple proper nouns. The word "lowercase" is not hyphenated. Perhaps by "location or the writer" you meant "location of the writer" as that would have made more sense. In your last sentence you use the incorrect object for the preposition in the relative clause. It should read "who feels," rather than "that feels," unless of course you are in fact literally a stick.

This is a forum for drummers, not grammarians, and I make no assumptions about the education level, language skills, or learning abilities of our contributing members. Therefore I never point out spelling, grammar, or stylistic errors, unless of course someone really begs for it.
I actually have a minor in English from the University of Maryland, and you, sir, discussed as many grammar rules in one paragraph as I learned in an average semester.

That was actually quite impressive, and you are correct; precise grammar, usage and diction are about as relevant to drumming as a paradiddle is to proper conjugation.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:39 AM

Location: Getting ready to move to Spokane, WA.Born in California live in Washington State

It is real nice to read well written post, since I can't spell for shirt and I had to take speech classes to learn to talk right as a child(now I am phonetic). I love this forum because most of the people on here don't make anyone feel bad or make them shy away if they make a typo or ask a, what they may think is,a silly question. No one is perfect so try to just laugh it off and have a good time on here.
Pinner