DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 12-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Default The new Luds arrived today...

I sold off some gear and replaced it all w/ some new goodies. Here's da new goodies.

- Ludwig USA Maple 3pc kit (9x13, 16x16, 14x22)
- Ludwig Black Beauty snare (6.5x14 w/ tube lugs)
- Some new bronze...22" Constantinople High Bell Dry, 18" K Custom Dark crash, and 14" K Custom Dark hats.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2007, 10:15 AM
KARL MEMBER

Default Re: The new Luds arrived today...

Wow, that looks great!
Mhhh, how much did you pay for this 3-piece? And can you choose your configuration?

Really like this white...laquered?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Wow, that looks great!
Mhhh, how much did you pay for this 3-piece? And can you choose your configuration?

Really like this white...laquered?

Karl
I got it for about 2/3 of the retail price after losing the auction on eBay (didn't meet reserve). I talked the guy down and he gave me a hell of a deal.

You can order drums separately. I'll be ordering a 14" floor tom in the next couple of months. But, I think there are only so many options as a whole kit...this one being the "Fab 4" kit. I have the matching snare as well but the shop who sold it to me FORGOT to take it out of the box...so I agreed to send it back to him.

Yep, it's a lacquer, called "Arctic White". I thought it looked classy w/ the Black Beauty.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

ZAM! dub-a-lud , dub-a-lud ( the beat of a DW man going Ludwig)..

man, these look like beauties! nice maple sizes and that black beaut looks terrific. The set up looks nice n compact too.

So, I'll put you on the spot here...

Dee dubs or Luddies ? which are better? : )

p.s. what ride is that? Im not enjoying my 21"K custom dry either.......
Old 12-15-2007, 01:32 PM

wow, very classy. the black beauty goes great with it

Old 12-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
wow, very classy. the black beauty goes great with it

Agree with Nimby....the contrast looks great. Congrats on the new toys and bronze.

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 12-16-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Silver Member

Like most said already, the white looks very classy. I like it a lot.
Congrats to that.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Pioneer Member

That kit has a lotta class, looks real comfy. Beautiful set good luck with it.

Animal Life Savers
Old 12-15-2007, 03:29 PM
nhzoso

mmmmmmm Very classy. Will look even better with 1 more Tom. Have you thought about raising the front of the BD off the floor a little?
Old 12-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Classy...........yes! But more like classic! Love the classic white Ludwig look, logo, bagdes, lugs, everything! Sometimes, simple is better.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Gold Member

Best looking kit to show up on here in a long time.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

That's quite a photogenic kit if there ever was one. Really, the finish is sweeeeeet.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

How vintage does that look, Shweeett!!!

Very nice!!
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 12-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

what a kit! Looks great man!

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 12-15-2007, 07:32 PM

Very nice look to the kit, Z. I love the finish -- so clean and classy. The 9x13" tom is super. It's got to have a killer sound ... I'm becoming more and more a fan of Ludwig. I'm now playing the Classic Maple snare and love it. Congratulations.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Hey, thanks all! I got the Black Beauty first because...well...the sound speaks for itself and I just don't know of a better bronze snare. I went in search of a classic maple Lud kit afterwards and this one just fit...

Aydee - I was waiting for someone to ask about DW vs. Ludwig. And, being the unbiased, objective dude that I am...I'll say that I'm *very* hard pressed to find much of a sound-quality difference between the two....as far as punch, fatness, warmth, etc. The Ludwigs, for me, were a bit easier to tune - BUT, they do NOT have the tuning range that my (remaining) 2006 DW kit has. The Luds seem very specific about where they "like" to be tuned. I'm using emps/ambassadors on the toms and a coated ambassador on the kick, with a single folded-up blanket inside, touching both heads. Frankly, the kick sounds like crap to me...but the head stinks and I seriously need to re-tune it. If I had been able to find a coated PowerStroke 3 in town, I would have gotten that instead and I can tell this kick has the potential to move bowels.

HOWEVER...this is only after spending one night playing the Luds. I'll need a month of playing the Luds, at least, to start noticing the subtleties and only then can I even begin to start making a comparison.

I will say, right off the bat, that the construction is NOT as good as the drums and hardware that DW puts out...no way. THAT being said, Ludwig quality is much better than people give them credit for - so to give credit where its due - the hardware and drums are very well made.

The ride is a 22" K Constantinople High Bell Dry...and I'll go ahead and say it, it's outright sexy. It's dark, loud, and has a subtle dark wash....but is extremely controllable. I played it w/ my guitar player Friday and he normally doesn't comment on my gear...but he pointed out how well the ride sounded. My K Custom ride usually overpowers him and while it's beautiful, it's got more of a raw powerful sound to it. This Const. is way more subtle and blends well into the music.

Phew! Sorry for the long-winded rant! Thanks guys!
Old 12-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
mmmmmmm Very classy. Will look even better with 1 more Tom. Have you thought about raising the front of the BD off the floor a little?
Actually, I did have the legs pushing the front of the kick off the floor about 1/2" but after playing for about an hour, it settled right into the carpet again. I need to extend the legs a little again as the kick pedal is now putting to much pressure on the hoop.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:32 PM
DrummerWoman

I think I'm in love! Beautiful set of Ludwigs. I notice the 13" tom has the tom mount on the shell, I actually put mine on a rims system, but I may switch back, I'm not sure if it matters much.
I'd love to come to your place and test drive those puppies.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:48 AM

I was going to get that exact same setup & sizes, but I backed-out and grabbed a Gretsch New Classic instead. I got it brand new on eBay for $1000, so I couldn't pass it up.
However, I love your kit -- the sizes and color are perfect. Also, I love that the tom mount is connected directly to the shell. Congrats!
Old 12-16-2007, 05:49 AM
Gold Member

Your statement on the quality is right on the money.

They are good. But, I did notice that my star classics were built just a bit better.

Still the luddies are pretty good.

They sound like thunder!
Old 12-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post

They are good. But, I did notice that my star classics were built just a bit better.

They sound like thunder!
Indeed, they seem to have a low-end that I haven't been able to achieve on my DWs. They sound different, I just haven't nailed exactly what it is yet. You have the Zep kit, don't you mikei? If they produce a Legacy Classic w/ the 3-ply shells, in the Zep configuration, I may have to find a way to own one!

Signals - I almost bought that kit! I got nervous when the seller wouldn't answer my messages...hope you had better luck.

DrummerWoman - *blushing* I'm flattered! Wow! .........oh right...you meant the drums... I wondered if moving the tom off of the kick would open up the kick but in the end...I don't think it'll make a huge difference...and there's still a big 'ol (very visible) hole in the kick. Mine as well use it.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I'm using emps/ambassadors on the toms and a coated ambassador on the kick, with a single folded-up blanket inside, touching both heads. Frankly, the kick sounds like crap to me...but the head stinks and I seriously need to re-tune it. If I had been able to find a coated PowerStroke 3 in town, I would have gotten that instead and I can tell this kick has the potential to move bowels.
Very nice, clean looking kit! This white finish seems to be popular with a lot of big names right now. Have you considered reversing the heads on your kick? It might sound a little better putting the head with the sound dampening ring on the batter side. I know you want that logo on the front though. I actually had some thin vinyl logos made at a local graphics shop. I think 5 were about $10. I found you're limited to just one or two heads (in smooth white finish) from Ludwig with the classic script logo. I like the white coated look better. Just an idea. Again, great looking set up.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:31 PM
DrummerWoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post

They sound like thunder!
I'm curious, in what way are the Star Classics built better than the Ludwig Classic Maple kit? Will the Ludwigs break easier? I love my Ludwigs and the new ones I'm buying seem to be built as good as any I've seen.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroneAmbition View Post
Very nice, clean looking kit! This white finish seems to be popular with a lot of big names right now. Have you considered reversing the heads on your kick? It might sound a little better putting the head with the sound dampening ring on the batter side. I know you want that logo on the front though. I actually had some thin vinyl logos made at a local graphics shop. I think 5 were about $10. I found you're limited to just one or two heads (in smooth white finish) from Ludwig with the classic script logo. I like the white coated look better. Just an idea. Again, great looking set up.
That's not a half-bad idea...however I'm not very impressed w/ the stock Ludwig heads. I re-tuned the kick last night and put a smaller pillow inside, it sounds better but still not living up to its potential. I figure the ambassador will settle in and sound better over time.

Next time I'll get an ambassador for the front and a coated PowerStroke 3 for the batter...like I should have just done to begin with.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Indeed, they seem to have a low-end that I haven't been able to achieve on my DWs. They sound different, I just haven't nailed exactly what it is yet. You have the Zep kit, don't you mikei? If they produce a Legacy Classic w/ the 3-ply shells, in the Zep configuration, I may have to find a way to own one!

Signals - I almost bought that kit! I got nervous when the seller wouldn't answer my messages...hope you had better luck.

DrummerWoman - *blushing* I'm flattered! Wow! .........oh right...you meant the drums... I wondered if moving the tom off of the kick would open up the kick but in the end...I don't think it'll make a huge difference...and there's still a big 'ol (very visible) hole in the kick. Mine as well use it.
I did. I am selling t now.

I just got a new Classic Maple Green Sparkle kit with the Bonham sizes. Here is the link with the pictures.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=33517

They sound amazing. I am definitely not worth of the kit.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:21 AM

Something about Luddy's that just impresses me, and I haven't owned a set in about 30 years.

VERY nice, clean looking kit! I'm not normally a fan of the plain white finishes, but on that kit it looks extraordinary! And you're right, the black beauty looks smashing with it.

Congrats man!

~~Sorry my dog humped your leg. He feels terrible about it.~~
Old 12-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Silver Member

Great looking gear. Congratulations. Joey
Old 12-17-2007, 06:35 AM
Gold Member

Zambizzi,
I really think you picked up a winner on this buy! This set reeks of classic classiness, though I am partial to white kits.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 12-20-2007, 05:53 PM

Looks great and I love the white finish. Classy!!! 30 years from now this will still be a popular and in demand kit! You have a keeper. Congrats!!
Old 12-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys!

You know, after some time w/ the Luds, some re-tuning, and re-tuning my DW kit...I can't say the Luds sound as good. Sorry, to me, they just don't...but I didn't buy them expecting them to sound better or even as good.

Nonetheless, they sound really good and I'm happy with them...and I can't wait to add a tom or two in the future. It's certainly cheaper and easier than ordering a tom to be made from DW.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks guys!

You know, after some time w/ the Luds, some re-tuning, and re-tuning my DW kit...I can't say the Luds sound as good. Sorry, to me, they just don't...but I didn't buy them expecting them to sound better or even as good.

Nonetheless, they sound really good and I'm happy with them...and I can't wait to add a tom or two in the future. It's certainly cheaper and easier than ordering a tom to be made from DW.
I'm actually looking for a vintage, silver sparkle Ludwig kit right now. I'm not expecting it to sound like my DW's though. In fact, I want a completely different sound. BTW, here's a shot of my DW set. Like I said, I am partial to white sets.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/a...7&d=1190173107

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 12-21-2007, 03:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Ludwigs are the epitome of classy drums. They look great and I love the sizes.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
I'm actually looking for a vintage, silver sparkle Ludwig kit right now. I'm not expecting it to sound like my DW's though. In fact, I want a completely different sound. BTW, here's a shot of my DW set. Like I said, I am partial to white sets.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/a...7&d=1190173107
Silver sparkle? Nah don't get that, get another color.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:41 AM
Platinum Member

I should add that I'm playing the Black Beauty w/ my DW kit, however, as I've fallen in love w/ the sound of it. I might be a metal drum guy, after all.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:15 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I sold off some gear and replaced it all w/ some new goodies. Here's da new goodies.

- Ludwig USA Maple 3pc kit (9x13, 16x16, 14x22)
- Ludwig Black Beauty snare (6.5x14 w/ tube lugs)
- Some new bronze...22" Constantinople High Bell Dry, 18" K Custom Dark crash, and 14" K Custom Dark hats.
They do look nice!
Beautiful man!

Great looking set-up too.

A nice early Merry Christmas it looks like.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:10 AM

Love the kit. Love the look. Love the sizes. Nice choice on the Black Beauty, though I prefer imperial lugs. I think they would match this kit better too.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

You know, something about this kit just really draws me in. Perhaps it's the simplicity. The white is very elegant.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:40 PM

That looks seriously classy man, BIG congratulations on those babies. And don't even start me on the black beauty, let's just say, it's "aptly" named.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:00 AM

That is quite a sexy kit.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

I may have to eat my words...

Would I be completely crazy if I said that I think these babies sound better than my DW kit? Would that be totally out of line? :D

I've had the Luds for a while now and have played/recorded on them quite a bit...and...well I keep coming back to them and the D-dubs are mostly sitting around collecting dust.

I know...it's nuts...forget I said anything....