DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-14-2007, 09:53 AM

Default How to stop double pedal squeaking??

My Iron Cobra Double Pedals have started squeaking when I play them. What do you guys recommend I do to fix this without damaging it in the long run? I heard WD40 is not a good choice. I'm not sure exactly which part on the pedals is squeaking because they are at college right now and I am not there for this month. I was just looking for a solution in advance before going back so that I can fix the problem immediately. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: How to stop double pedal squeaking??

Truth be told. I do my own maintenance on just about everything I own...cars, trucks, jeeps, drums, drum equipment, etc. I haven't had to worry about squeaking yet with my Axis, but I would venture to say that if your IC's are squeaking, it would be coming from one of the universal joints on the slave shaft or from the bearings along the same driveline. If it's bearings...they're probably sealed and would require replacement. the universals can be lubricated. A teflon powder lubricant can be used and it doesn't collect dust grime like WD-40.

You should identify the source first though. If unable, just shotgun the whole thing...meaning, replace what you can and lube everything else. You'd have to cover the squeak somewhere in there, you know?

-Andy
Old 12-14-2007, 10:40 PM

Just found this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibralta...82-i1165947.gc
lubricant made for pedals, so I think I'll give that a shot. And if the sound doesn't stop, I'll have to look into replacing parts. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:45 PM

Where would I get these replacement parts if it comes down to that?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Halo View Post
Where would I get these replacement parts if it comes down to that?
Guitar Center, Internet, Sam Ash, places like that.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:29 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Halo View Post
My Iron Cobra Double Pedals have started squeaking when I play them. What do you guys recommend I do to fix this without damaging it in the long run? I heard WD40 is not a good choice. I'm not sure exactly which part on the pedals is squeaking because they are at college right now and I am not there for this month. I was just looking for a solution in advance before going back so that I can fix the problem immediately. Thanks!
Go to a fabric store and get some sewing machine oil.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 12-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

i used to have thsi problem with my IC's. I fiddled around with every bolt on that stupid pedal,a nd finally i found the one that was giving me trouble.

Ill try to explain it.

There are two knobbs on either side of where the beater attaches to the shaft itself. There are two allen wrench things that you can loosen/tighten on the bottom of the two things.

My problem was that the two silver chunk thingies were too closer to the piece that the beater attaches to the shaft to. Loosen each silver chunk, move it to the right/left a little bit. tighten it TIGHT! and the problem should go away.

that probably made no sense..but whatever
Old 12-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer132 View Post
i used to have thsi problem with my IC's. I fiddled around with every bolt on that stupid pedal,a nd finally i found the one that was giving me trouble.

Ill try to explain it.

There are two knobbs on either side of where the beater attaches to the shaft itself. There are two allen wrench things that you can loosen/tighten on the bottom of the two things.

My problem was that the two silver chunk thingies were too closer to the piece that the beater attaches to the shaft to. Loosen each silver chunk, move it to the right/left a little bit. tighten it TIGHT! and the problem should go away.

that probably made no sense..but whatever
I only understand because that is how I fixed the squeek on my stock pearl pedal, but if I never did that I would have no idea what you said. :D
Old 12-20-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
Truth be told. I do my own maintenance on just about everything I own...cars, trucks, jeeps, drums, drum equipment, etc. I haven't had to worry about squeaking yet with my Axis, but I would venture to say that if your IC's are squeaking, it would be coming from one of the universal joints on the slave shaft or from the bearings along the same driveline. If it's bearings...they're probably sealed and would require replacement. the universals can be lubricated. A teflon powder lubricant can be used and it doesn't collect dust grime like WD-40.

You should identify the source first though. If unable, just shotgun the whole thing...meaning, replace what you can and lube everything else. You'd have to cover the squeak somewhere in there, you know?

-Andy
my springs squeak but whats the shaft your talking about so if i have this problem i can fix it
Old 12-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero View Post
my springs squeak but whats the shaft your talking about so if i have this problem i can fix it
"Slave shaft" There is usually two universal joints in the slave shaft system. The shaft itself connects the main pedal to the slave pedal, has a couple universal joints, and normally terminates (ends) at the bearings of the slave and main pedals respectively. Kind of like a driveshaft in a car. Just a way of linking the power to the action.

Did I just confuse you?
Old 12-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Pioneer Member

I guess $5 isn't too much to pay for oil but any light oil would work like the sewing kind. WD40 doesn't really last so it's a quick fix most of the time or if you need to start an engine. Personally I suggest yelling every time it squeaks that way no one will hear. Kinda like coughing to cover up your farts.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Underhill View Post
Kinda like coughing to cover up your farts.
Man..for some reason I didn't stop laughing at this for like...10 minutes. Ironic, I think I coughed a few times to cover up the farts that were as a result of the laughing. Boy, I needed that.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
Man..for some reason I didn't stop laughing at this for like...10 minutes. Ironic, I think I coughed a few times to cover up the farts that were as a result of the laughing. Boy, I needed that.
It was a Family Guy clip, look it up on Youtube if they have it. Quite funny.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I only understand because that is how I fixed the squeek on my stock pearl pedal, but if I never did that I would have no idea what you said. :D

lol..sorry. i cant explain it without pics, and i dont really have a camera..