DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-14-2007, 03:29 AM

Default Questions about racks

Not to take away from other posts on racks, but I am having trouble finding what I want to know about racks and I don't feel like looking through tons of posts. Feel free to add and post stuff about your rack experiences (any brand) and whatever else rack related!

Does anyone else hear their cymbals vibrate through their racks?

Anyone else measure each side to make sure they both match?

Does Gibraltar actually have a catalog? I see a lot of parts but they're not listed on their website.

What rack do you have? I just got a V-rack and I really like it. However, I'm having a little trouble with getting the drums exactly the way I want them and I'd like to know if there are other options for mounting toms on Gibraltar racks (mainly near the end posts).

Two drums on one attachment are too heavy!

Does Gibraltar have long cymbal stands or do I have to take apart older stands to make them? I noticed on most of Gibraltar's pics the cymbals are only at the corners of the racks. Hmmmm...
Old 12-14-2007, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The Official Rack Thread

i am strongly considering buying the curved rack with the two side extesions. they actually do have a catalouge. i have one. i saw a stack of them laying at my local music store once. i dont know if it was free or not but i took it. i got it like a year ago tho.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutopowered View Post

Does Gibraltar have long cymbal stands or do I have to take apart older stands to make them? I noticed on most of Gibraltar's pics the cymbals are only at the corners of the racks. Hmmmm...
what do you mean by having two drums on one atachment? in regards to the cymbals at the end, are you talking about them coming out of the vertical post? if you are they make a clamp that goes on top of the pipe ware the cap would normally be and you can stick boom arms in.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
what do you mean by having two drums on one atachment?
I have a regular sonor stand which holds two toms. I tried to put the one piece from the sonor stand into one attachment on the rack and it was way too heavy for the clamp. It looks like only one clamp on the rack can only hold one drum at a time because no matter how tight I made the clamp, the drums just slid down. Unless there is a special clamp that can hold two drums that I don't know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
in regards to the cymbals at the end, are you talking about them coming out of the vertical post? if you are they make a clamp that goes on top of the pipe ware the cap would normally be and you can stick boom arms in.
Yes, I have two cymbals coming out of each vertical post.

What I'm asking about is putting (let's say a 16" crash) in the middle of the rack approximately 2 - 2.5 feet higher than the rack. That would require a clamp to the rack and a cymbal post of at least 3 feet long. I haven't really seen those posts at gibraltar. I've seen them on other people's drum sets but I assume that they are a brand other than gibraltar.

I'm assuming that people just took their regular cymbal stands, removed the top 1/3 of the post, and stuck that in a gibraltar clamp on their rack?
Old 12-14-2007, 05:56 AM

I have a Pearl ICON 3 sided curved rack and have never had any problems with it, it's very well made.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

Overloading your "round tube" rack is bad. Do not expect a "single" clamp to hold the weight of 2 toms. Most cats even use an additional "memory" clamp to lock the "tom" clamp in place on heavier items. Also, most clamps are designed to use 7/8" pipe, as far as cymbal and tom arms go. I used a Pearl DR-100 rack for over 10 years. Father to the Icon. Square tube. Did things with that Pearl rack that I wouldn't even try with any round tube rack.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Silver Member

When it comes to mounting stuff on a rack, common sense must still be used. I would read this thread for some help:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=30781

Racks, while convenient, are not meant to solve all problems. One cannot be cheap and try to cheat the system and expect things to still work.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have a regular sonor stand which holds two toms. I tried to put the one piece from the sonor stand into one attachment on the rack and it was way too heavy for the clamp. It looks like only one clamp on the rack can only hold one drum at a time because no matter how tight I made the clamp, the drums just slid down. Unless there is a special clamp that can hold two drums that I don't know about.

Yes, I have two cymbals coming out of each vertical post.

What I'm asking about is putting (let's say a 16" crash) in the middle of the rack approximately 2 - 2.5 feet higher than the rack. That would require a clamp to the rack and a cymbal post of at least 3 feet long. I haven't really seen those posts at gibraltar. I've seen them on other people's drum sets but I assume that they are a brand other than gibraltar.

I'm assuming that people just took their regular cymbal stands, removed the top 1/3 of the post, and stuck that in a gibraltar clamp on their rack?
to mount your two toms you will need to buy two multiclamps and then you will need to buy two omniball tom holders. same goes for the cymbals you buy a multiclamp and then you stick a boom arm in there.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

I mount everything on my rack (gibraltar curved tube with side arms) and have never had any problems. I also use the DW double tom holder and have flown my 10" and 12" on the same Gibralter clamp with no problems. Now, I am using one clamp per tom and it works fine too.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:39 AM

Has anyone ever used Gibraltar's mini racks?
Old 12-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Questions about racks

Are you using a memory lock with the multi-clamp that is holding your toms? I used to mount two toms (12" and 13" with very long depths) off of a dual tom mount, only held on to the rack with a single multi-clamp. It worked just fine. You need to use memory locks with round tube racks to prevent slippage. If your toms are really so heavy that the memory clamps don't help, then just buy another multi-clamp and use two L-rods, or a more fancy ball socket mount to hold the toms to the clamps.

As far as cymbals vibrating through the rack... well I imagine they would... as well as whatever else is mounted on them. However, I've never sat there and said, "Wow, I can hear my cymbals through my rack." Whatever vibrations are there are certainly over powered by the sound of the actual cymbals and whatnot. A cymbal would vibrate through a regular cymbal stand as well, unless you are using a type of stand that totally isolates what is mounted on it. I don't really see the concern here. Are you trying to record in an anechoic chamber?

I don't break out the measuring tape but I will hold one vertical post up to the other to make sure my clamps are at the right height. The beautiful thing about racks (and most other type of stands/hardware) is that everything doesn't have to be the same brand. That's the benefit of using multi-clamps. They can adjust their size to fit many types of rods. I have booms coming off of two of my vertical bars and I believe they are Gibraltar, and work great. To mount cymbals on the horizontal bars you just need a multi-clamp and a boom. You can buy boom arms without buying a full stand. There are different brands. Two of my booms are Peace I believe (taken from old cymbal stands I had), and the other is just some random boom I bought used at my local drum shop.

I use all straight bars on my rack, though I would love to try the curve for my toms. I'm not digging the V. That would just seem awkward to me.

One of the benefits of having a tube rack is that the tube will allow a forward/back tilt adjustment. If you are using a straight stand as opposed to a full boom, you will still be able to adjust the tilt forward or back. My main ride is mounted on a short straight arm. I took off the lower portion of the boom for that stand because it got in the way of the kick drum. So basically, the tube becomes the joint of what used to be the elbow of the boom if that makes any sense.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Questions about racks

Quote:
Not to take away from other posts on racks, but I am having trouble finding what I want to know about racks and I don't feel like looking through tons of posts. Feel free to add and post stuff about your rack experiences (any brand) and whatever else rack related!

Does anyone else hear their cymbals vibrate through their racks?

Anyone else measure each side to make sure they both match?

Does Gibraltar actually have a catalog? I see a lot of parts but they're not listed on their website.

What rack do you have? I just got a V-rack and I really like it. However, I'm having a little trouble with getting the drums exactly the way I want them and I'd like to know if there are other options for mounting toms on Gibraltar racks (mainly near the end posts).

I bought the 850db Gibraltar curved rack and it seems to be working fine for now. I also have a couple of the Gibraltar 9813dp tripod stands. They aren't used as anchors but I guess they could be but I'm having no trouble with the rack so far.

Gibraltar makes a few models of long arm and short arm cymbal stands that can be mounted to their rack using the multi-clamps or what ever clamps you chose to use as long as the "posts" will fit them. I use the SC-LBBT and SC-SBBT (long and short boom brake tilters). I have my rack toms mounted into multiclamps on the rack. I haven't had any problems with slippage - I use memory locks.

See My Christmas Kit below in signature area.