DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Mystic

Default Snare rattling help!

Hey guys I was curious about my snare rattling, and I was wondering if there is a way to make the snares stop rattling when other drums are hit or when a guitar is being played and this is other than the solution of turning the snares off completely
Old 12-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Big_Philly

Default Re: Snare rattling help!

It's going to be extremely difficult, if not impossible to fully remove the rattle, there will always be a resonance bandwith in which your snare drum buzzes along. What I do is tune my resonant head real tight but loosen the screws around the snare butt and strainer, which reduces the sensitivity of the snare to outside influences. I got that idea from another forum member, I think he had Elvis in his name but it wasn't Fat Elvis if I remember correctly.
On another snare drum I applied a muffler to the resonant head. Worked okay, but not ideal, it was choking the snare sound a bit too much.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Mystic

hmm well I maybe I will try that tightening thing and what do you meen by "butt"? I am not familiar with all drum terms yet sorry but thx a lot for replying.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Administrator

On the resonant(bottom) head, loosen the four lugs on either end of the snares. Leave the other 4 or 6 just as they are. This will help a bit but nothing will make this sympathetic buzzing go away totally. I just tried the other night loosening my snare adjusting knob more than normal rather than tightening it and choking the heck out of the snares and it seemd to help.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:45 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
hmm well I maybe I will try that tightening thing and what do you meen by "butt"? I am not familiar with all drum terms yet sorry but thx a lot for replying.
Where your snare wires are connected to the drum, the side with the lever to release the snares is the "Strainer" and the other side is referred to as the "Butt".
Old 12-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

The snares are supposed to buzz, and no-one will even notice them buzzing when you're actually playing drums -- that is, not hitting a tom-tom over and over again and worrying about the snare buzzing.