DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-12-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Omar Hakim

Couldnt find an Omar thread so...

One of the best session players, who really can play anything even more so than vinnie I think. Always liked his style, the way he mixes his original jazz style fills with contemparary stuff. His big snare sound is always recognisable too, as well as his small hat fills he does. He is also one of the few 'super' drummers to embrace electric drums, which I respect him for. He plays well on both and treats acoustic and electric as separate tools, which alot of drummers cant do.

Some of my fave stuff by him is David Sanborns 'As we speak', especially tracks 'rush hour' and 'love will come some day'. Brilliant fills. Also all his solo stuff is worth listening to.

A couple of albums I know he plays on: David Bowies 'lets Dance' and Dire Straits 'Brothers in arms' are more great examples of his drumming, although they dont directly credit him to particular tracks on those albums. Although I am pretty sure he plays on the majority of tracks for each.

Dire Straits: certain of 'one world' farly sure of 'Money for nothing', 'your latest trick', and the title track.

David Bowie: fairly sure of 'lets dance', 'criminal world', and 'cat people'

Does anyone know for sure...?

Anyway, Respect!

Tim
Old 12-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Omar Hakim

My favorite Omar material is the Weather Report stuff...Domino Theory and Procession are two I love. Absolute killer stuff. I was a fan of his back in 1984...and still am. His Buddy Rich Memorial stuff was also great.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Omar rocked the pop world with Sting when Sting re-jazzed himself up post-Police. The "Dream of the blue turtles" and the " Bring on the night " tour introduced a highly gifted and technically very competent drummer to the pop masses, a rare ocurrence , I dare say.

The son of Duke Ellington's trombone player is very conscious of not being called a "jazz "or "rock" drummer, having played with Miles and Mariah Carey amongst many others.

However! .......Druid,

I preferred Erskine and Alex Acuna, and Alphonse Mouzon to Omar with Weather Report. I felt they fit the music better, even though Omar was the true monster amongst them.

Last edited by aydee; 12-12-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:40 PM

Tim,

I'm pretty sure that "Let's Dance" is Tony Thompson (RIP), who was also responsible for some of the other fat grooves of the 80's. Like Addicted to love, Robert Palmer for example.

I've always assumed "Your Latest Trick" is Omar.

As a guess, I'd go with "Ride Across The River" & "Brothers In Arms" as probable Hakim tracks.

I'm afraid these titles are the dreaded NO CREDIT kind! ['Tears Hair Out!']
Old 12-13-2007, 03:23 PM

Yeah T Tompson (didnt realise he was rip-respect) seemed to have a v similar drum sound, thanks.

I recently listened to Hakims 'Groovesmith' album and only realised several of the tracks were recorded with v-drums after reading the sleeve! V nice production.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Silver Member

Omar has such a unique approach to drums. Dream of the Blue Turtles was a huge influence for me. I tried to copy his grooves but didn't really have much luck. What can you say? He's just in the pocket.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Founder Drummerworld

did you see my new Omar Hakim Clips from Pasic?

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/o...oovepas07.html

enjoy

Bernhard
Old 12-13-2007, 05:20 PM

Quality stuff there!, thanks

Tim