DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Silver Member

Default Aquarian Modern Vintage heads, go or no go.

I must get a good amount of opinions because these heads are expensive, just for a 14" and a 22" bass drum with felt strip is $50.

Need to switch from the Diplomats, been on there for a long and lost their amazing tone they once gave. I want to try Aquarian Modern Vintages, After reading about them on the Aquarian site, I think they would be a very nice choice, and the price tag dictates that as well.

There are two types, Medium and Thin weight.

They are being put on a set of 60s Ludwigs, and a metal Supraphonic snare.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:09 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Aquarian Modern Vintage heads, go or no go.

Well I heard a lot of good things about Aquarian a year or so ago. I bought a Modern Vintage Medium for my snare. Incredible durability, although nothing really more than a extra thick coated head. The coating was thicker than most coatings, but I don't think it was any different. These sort of resembled Fiberskyn heads. A few months later I ordered a full set of Classic Coated heads for my kit. Disaster. All of them, (4) save for the 16" head lost their coating within a few days and had horrible tone. Recently, I've learned that after transferring the Aquarian factory to Mexico, they had a few batches of bad heads. I'm guessing my order was part of that, and I have not ordered Aquarian since until I know they have straightened out this problem. Modern Vintage heads are very hard to find, and cost 50% more than normal heads from what I've seen. You would be better off buying Remo Fiberskyns for the same tone and less money and no risky durability. The one I got a while ago was a great head though. I just don't think it was worth the extra cost as it was just another coated head, yellow, but still coated. If you want something unique, go for Fiberskyns. Ambassadors are OK, but I think diplomat weight would be better (Jeff Hamilton uses them). Also, I think the Fiberskyn texture works better for brushes anyway. Much smoother than coated heads, and it doesn't come off.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
Well I heard a lot of good things about Aquarian a year or so ago. I bought a Modern Vintage Medium for my snare. Incredible durability, although nothing really more than a extra thick coated head. The coating was thicker than most coatings, but I don't think it was any different. These sort of resembled Fiberskyn heads. A few months later I ordered a full set of Classic Coated heads for my kit. Disaster. All of them, (4) save for the 16" head lost their coating within a few days and had horrible tone. Recently, I've learned that after transferring the Aquarian factory to Mexico, they had a few batches of bad heads. I'm guessing my order was part of that, and I have not ordered Aquarian since until I know they have straightened out this problem. Modern Vintage heads are very hard to find, and cost 50% more than normal heads from what I've seen. You would be better off buying Remo Fiberskyns for the same tone and less money and no risky durability. The one I got a while ago was a great head though. I just don't think it was worth the extra cost as it was just another coated head, yellow, but still coated. If you want something unique, go for Fiberskyns. Ambassadors are OK, but I think diplomat weight would be better (Jeff Hamilton uses them). Also, I think the Fiberskyn texture works better for brushes anyway. Much smoother than coated heads, and it doesn't come off.
Thank you for that insight. I swear by Diplomats myself when it comes to Remo, so I think that would probably be better choice to get the Diplomat version of the Fiberskyn. Well for now just the snare, I'll stick with the normal Diplomat tom heads until I feel it is safe to leave the comfort zone,

More insights on the Aquarian though are still appreciated!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:39 AM
fourstringdrums

I'm glad I found this thread, I was considering them myself, but now I think I'll go for Fiberskyn Ambassadors. They're easier to get here anyhow.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I'm glad I found this thread, I was considering them myself, but now I think I'll go for Fiberskyn Ambassadors. They're easier to get here anyhow.
Don't jump to conclusions to get yet, maybe wait a little for 1 or 2 more opinions.

I want to add, I will be buying the Modern Vintage Bass drum head w/ felt strip. It is only a few dollars more and the felt strip already on there "for that swing era look and sound." got me hooked.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:50 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
Don't jump to conclusions to get yet, maybe wait a little for 1 or 2 more opinions.

I want to add, I will be buying the Modern Vintage Bass drum head w/ felt strip. It is only a few dollars more and the felt strip already on there "for that swing era look and sound." got me hooked.
I think having a piece of felt that isn't attached to the head would be a better way to go because you can position it wherever you would like.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
Also, I think the Fiberskyn texture works better for brushes anyway. Much smoother than coated heads, and it doesn't come off.
Boy that hasn't been my experience Cymbalrider.
I used to use some of the early generation Fiberskyns and loved them. The last time I bought some the head started shredding when I played brushes. I play brushes a lot and this was in a very quiet all acoustic jazz gig so after ruining a head in one gig I assumed I got ahold of a bad one. Went to the store and bought another and the same thing happened. I contacted Remo to ask if there were any QC issues going on or a different formulation of the Fiberskyns and never got a response. I have an Aquarian Modern Vintage that I like a lot on an older Slingerland snare and the Evans J1 etched on a Rogers that I use for those kind of gigs now. I like the overall sound of Fiberskyns but if my brushes (Vic Firths) tear them up that bad in one gig I won't be using them anytime soon.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

I have a Modern Vintage (medium weight) on one of my snare and these heads make your drum sound like its never been before. What I mean is these Modern Vintage are what bring you closer to real calf skin though you hear the drum and not the head (the plasticity of the head). Now you have to make up your mind whatver you need the thin or medium weight. I'm glad I'm went with medium because it's already very thin. The brushes response is extremely good and the coating is just as tough as other aquarian head or maybe even tougher.

What I'd say to you is to try them out (one on your snare will give you a good view of them).

Good luck

My Kit Latest Update
Old 12-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
I have a Modern Vintage (medium weight) on one of my snare and these heads make your drum sound like its never been before. What I mean is these Modern Vintage are what bring you closer to real calf skin though you hear the drum and not the head (the plasticity of the head). Now you have to make up your mind whatver you need the thin or medium weight. I'm glad I'm went with medium because it's already very thin. The brushes response is extremely good and the coating is just as tough as other aquarian head or maybe even tougher.

What I'd say to you is to try them out (one on your snare will give you a good view of them).

Good luck
Interesting!

Now I really am in the middle of what to pick. I would imagine the medium and thin are the same in comparison between the Diplomat and the Ambassador.

I think that the Medium weight would be good on my snare, to add more warmth to the cold steel, and thins on the toms to get the true tone and resonance out of them with the warmth of the head film. Or a medium over thin would probably be good too.

More insights from anyone are very appreciated.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Pioneer Member

I'm going to need to change heads here pretty soon anyway. The Fiberskyns just don't have the attack and if you play too fast they just sort of get muddy. They have a great orchestral sound though which I love but just aren't articulate enough. I play a lot of stuff and I need that sensitivity and a bit of bite to the sound. I'm not sure about Renaissance heads. For myself, I'm thinking of doing something like Coated Emperors over Coated Ambassadors or Diplomats. I don't like my drums sounding thin and I want as warm of a sound as I can get because they aren't very big. For snare batter, I'm going to look into that Remo Vintage A model they have out now.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:05 AM
Silver Member

I am convinced, I am going Aquarian Modern Vintage and never leaving. I heard them in person, and am completely set that these are my heads.

Medium gives more of a calfskin sound, so that is what I am going with. I was told they take a little while to get seated and get their full sound so a heads up for anyone wanting to try them, give some time to get the true sound.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
I am convinced, I am going Aquarian Modern Vintage and never leaving. I heard them in person, and am completely set that these are my heads.

Medium gives more of a calfskin sound, so that is what I am going with. I was told they take a little while to get seated and get their full sound so a heads up for anyone wanting to try them, give some time to get the true sound.
Glad you like them.

They are definitely sounding different from any conventional head on the market and like any Aquarian heads, they will sound better & better after some playing on them.

My Kit Latest Update