DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-04-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Longboards!

I really want some axis longboards so i can do flatfoot, swivel and heel toe technqiue but i have no way near enough cash to buy some. So do you think it would be possible to build some longboards to fit onto my tama iron cobras? Cheers for the help!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:24 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Longboards!

It won't work because your Iron Cobra still has a heel plate. You would have to remove it and that would basically mean a re-engineering of your pedal.

I would just look for them on Ebay, but remember, these techniques can be done on any pedal, it just techniques some more practice. I believe Derek Pope's Heel-Toe video in the Clinic section demonstrates that you don't need a Longboard to play the technique.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
It won't work because your Iron Cobra still has a heel plate. You would have to remove it and that would basically mean a re-engineering of your pedal.

I would just look for them on Ebay, but remember, these techniques can be done on any pedal, it just techniques some more practice. I believe Derek Pope's Heel-Toe video in the Clinic section demonstrates that you don't need a Longboard to play the technique.
There was someone else as well that did a demo using size 12 work boots that showed you could do those techniques on regular pedal boards. (I'm trying to remember who it was??) You just have to position your foot differently on the pedal board to get those techniques to work, you don't need longboards to make them work like fourstrings said.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:11 PM

It was tim waterson and he was using axis longboards. Trust me theres no way i can do these technique on my pedals how they are. I'm 6"5 size 13 feet, its impossible and yes i have tried ALOT!
Old 12-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

nothing is impossible man..especially if you tell yourself it is. i told myself bass was impossible cause it hurt my fingers..lol but now i fill in for bass with some bands...so put your mind to it and you'll get it...

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 12-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

All the advice that's already been given is helpful but remember that is possible to learn the heel-toe method without your heel actually on the footboard. Your heel can be back towards the heel plate, but you just have to train yourself to perform the heel motion with your leg and the toe motion with your ankle. The heel doesn't actually do the heel stroke of the two strokes, it's the whole leg coming down towards the pedal, with your foot parallel to the ground, that does the heel stroke.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebreed View Post
It was tim waterson and he was using axis longboards. Trust me theres no way i can do these technique on my pedals how they are. I'm 6"5 size 13 feet, its impossible and yes i have tried ALOT!

Whoever it was demonstrated that even with feet as big as yours it doesn't matter. You can have your foot half on the pedal and half off and still apply the heel toe technique. I really need to find this so you can see it. I remember now that the guy was wearing mud boots just to prove his point.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

hatebreed
Senior Member Join Date: Apr 2006

Longboards!

I really want some axis longboards so i can do flatfoot, swivel and heel toe technqiue but i have no way near enough cash to buy some. So do you think it would be possible to build some longboards to fit onto my tama iron cobras? Cheers for the help!

This is a relatively easy mod. You can order a 'heel block' from Axis, make your own foot plate and 'long-board' foot board. Axis will sell you the heel block as a replacement part. Hooking up the chain/straps shouldn't be a problem. Make your foot board as long as you want.

... and yes, to do heel-toe proper, your heel needs to make the first stroke, otherwise your just executing andvanced toe fired double strokes.
Attached Images