DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-02-2007, 03:15 AM

Default EC2s or Powerstroke...or other?

after looking into the hydraulics for my toms, they sound to dull, and i realize that even though i said extremely muffled, it wouldn't sound good on any recording. so, i was thinking about the EC2s or Powerstroke 3 or 4 (help with choosing please). i also am not sure if i should get coated or clear. lastly, is there a way will i will not have to spend money on new resonant heads and still get the sound i desire (somewhat muffled, good for punk drumming)? thanks.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:27 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: EC2s or Powerstroke...or other?

This question has been asked a million times and I'm sure it will never end for us drummers. For me after drumming for over 32yrs I have hit & played them all many times. And I always end up back home with the Remo's. The clear ambassadors are the king of the toms for me. The coated ambassador is the one for the snare. And the powerstroke 3 or 4 is the boom on my 26" kick. The Remo's stay in tune longer and last much longer. Yes the coating wears off the first time you take them out of the box but if you notice the master drummers that use them, they let them age and let the coating wear off. This is because they sound better with age and use. Evans makes a nice line of heads. They have that new modern sound and feel. So this question will never be answered due in part because its based on opinions of many. Lets just be thankfully we have choice. Because with out competition there would not be very much quality out there.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Mystic

I say Ps3 on batter and reso for toms, snare I really don't know much about snare heads yet, bass drum Ps4 on batter Ps3 on reso that is great combo especially for recording
Old 12-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Pioneer Member

Coated heads will give you a bit warmer tone and the clears will be a little brighter. What kind of drums are these going on and what wood are they made of, that needs to be known to help .
Old 12-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwill View Post
This question has been asked a million times and I'm sure it will never end for us drummers. For me after drumming for over 32yrs I have hit & played them all many times. And I always end up back home with the Remo's. The clear ambassadors are the king of the toms for me. The coated ambassador is the one for the snare. And the powerstroke 3 or 4 is the boom on my 26" kick. The Remo's stay in tune longer and last much longer. Yes the coating wears off the first time you take them out of the box but if you notice the master drummers that use them, they let them age and let the coating wear off. This is because they sound better with age and use. Evans makes a nice line of heads. They have that new modern sound and feel. So this question will never be answered due in part because its based on opinions of many. Lets just be thankfully we have choice. Because with out competition there would not be very much quality out there.

Well said!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw