DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-02-2007, 12:21 AM

Default drum heads...please help

i know everyone puts up questions on what drum heads they should get, but it would be really helpful to answer one more. =) i basically just want to change my batter heads and am concerned with my toms mainly (snare and bass suggestions wouldn't hurt though). i am into punk drumming and despise overtones lol. so if there's anything out there that can get me a very muffled sound without having to use extra devices (i already have min-EMADS, and the stickiness wore off very fast =\), that would be awesome. i was considering remo ebony pinstripe heads? not sure if that would be good. any suggestions would be great. thank you.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:58 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: drum heads...please help

I believe Ebony adds resonant tone, so regular pinstripes would fit the bill, but even then, they're not considered to be "very" muffled. You will still have some resonance, just a very round tone.

The first head that came to my were Evans Hydraulics. Those are two ply oil filled heads and should give you the tone you're after.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:53 AM

thank you very much. =) i'll definitely look into the evans hydraulics.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:09 PM

Or powerstroke 4 ? 2 ply heads with a muffle ring
Old 12-02-2007, 08:18 PM

sounds good, but i think i'm actually gonna go with EC2 heads, this way they are good, balance wise, when i add in the rest of my band. what do you think?
Old 12-03-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby frank View Post
sounds good, but i think i'm actually gonna go with EC2 heads, this way they are good, balance wise, when i add in the rest of my band. what do you think?
I have the clear EC2 heads and the rack toms sound excellent, although the floor tom was very hard to tune, but maybe thats just me.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Pioneer Member

I would say Coated Pinstripes for a deep muffled tone, Coated Powerstroke for a pretty much dead sound, EC2 Coated (they are really just textured not coated) for something similar to Pinstripes, Hydraulics for something weird altogether. I just wonder why so much muffling is needed though. When music is played, most drum resonance blends in anyway. If the drum is dead you will end up having to hit it harder to compensate, therefore end up going through more sticks and heads. Another hint is look at what you have for resonant heads. Get coated ambassadors or coated g1s for the bottoms and your tone will warm up.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Mystic

I'd honestly go with Powerstroke3's on all of the toms and reso but if you want no overtone go with a 2-ply head.... anywho I used to be like you and want no overtone and then as I progressed I realized that the overtone wasnt bad at all and it increases volume and as long as your actually playing they will sound fine I admit if you just tap a 1-ply head it usually sounds like crap but it changes when you actually play on them which I didn't know how to do in my early days but the Powerstroke3 will give you volume slight muffling because it does have an inner ring and it gets a very warm tone especially good if you like low end sounds.