DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 12-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Just Recieved...

...The Radiohead 'In Rainbows' Discbox.

This may sound like an odd post, but the sound quality of the vinyl is truly stunning. A pair of 45's for the main album and I seriously suggest all of those with an ear of any sort check the quality of the record (and the music) out. I've got tired ears (sound engineering all day, all week in fact) but even now it sounds absolutely phenomenal. The MP3 is a mere spectre of the actual vinyl.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Just Recieved...

WHERE WHERE WHERE WHERE WHERE WHERE WHERE WHERE WHERE DID YOU GET IT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 12-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

www.Radiohead.com

They're selling the last of the stock. Buy one now because they're not making any more after the warehouse runs out. Not cheap (about $80) but worth every penny, seriously. If you're ever over my way I'll break it out, but these vinyls are only going to be played on special occasions.

I got a beautiful display box, a book of abstract paintings, 2CD's (one of the album, one of bonus songs) and the two vinyls of the album (2 12" 45's) the fact that they're 45's means the speed is quicker and the bandwidth of the tracks is larger, resulting in really awesome sound quality. I can honestly say this is the only album that has ever made me want to buy a wonderfully better set of speakers. It really is that good.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:51 AM
Platinum Member

One of my good friends was telling me about this today. He said he had gotten the MP3s from their website, but the quality was so low he decided to wait until he can get the box set. I haven't heard the album yet, but knowing what they've done in the past, I can only imagine what it sounds like. Are they selling it in CD form, or just MP3 and vinyl? I have no record player :(
Old 12-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

The CD comes out on the 31st of December I believe.

The Discbox consists of CD's and Vinyl. Of the two, the Vinyl is the superior and I'm not just saying that. My Discbox has two CD's (eight extra songs that aren't on the download and artwork) and I'm not sure if the actual CD release will have the second disc. It's all rather confusing; but the MP3 download is still up until next Monday, so if you want to download the album then there's still a chance.

Funnily enough, one of their absolute best songs is on the second disc. 'Four Minute Warning' is absolutely incredible.

I need to change the needle on my turntable just for this record. I may have to 'borrow' my Dad's turntable, mine doesn't do it justice.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting. I wonder what they did differently in the mastering process between the CD and vinyl to make it sound that different. Perhaps they squashed the CD too much? You are making me really curious now. My wife is wanting to know what to get me for Christmas and that box set could be it... but I have a hard time justifying that much money on an album when I can put the same money towards a mic pre or something.

I don't have a record player either. My dad is offering me his old one from the 70s for me (I'm currently using his old Dynaco speakers), but it needs a needle and I know they are like $30 or $40. We bought a needle for it when I was like seventeen or so, but then it broke within a week or something ridiculous like that. He's got a real nice old record collection. Original Doors, Zep, etc. I have like five records... lol

edit:

I just talked to my wife about it over the phone. She's telling me to get the box set, that we can eventually get a record player. lol We'll have to see.

Last edited by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ; 12-08-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Well if you are going to get it, I suggest soon is probably the way. Once they've sold their current stock, there aren't going to be any more. That's it.

These records are just incredibly broad, everything about the sound is absolute audiophile quality, the vinyl itself is thick and dense, and the sound has fantastic depth and warmth. I don't know what it is, but I'm glad I bought the discbox. $80 is a lot for an album though, over here 40 for the set as it's sold is actually a good deal, but it probably doesn't translate as well. It's lucky that I have a turntable but I need a new needle as well. It's the single finest example of recorded sound I've ever heard and that includes Dark Side of the Moon. It really does sound that good.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

Speaking of DSOTM, my band mate put it in his car stereo for reference for me. We had previously listened to a mix of our song, and we noted the lack of low end. He only has tweeters in his car though, no midrange or subs. DSOTM sounded real good though, nice and full considering the speaker situation. He asked why I couldn't get our mix to sound more like that... and I was just like... "You're comparing me to that?!"
Old 12-09-2007, 02:26 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Well let's just say there's only one Alan Parsons...
Old 12-09-2007, 03:48 AM
Platinum Member

For real............