DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-29-2007, 05:25 AM
Mystic

Default Powerstroke 3 or 4 on toms?

Hey guys I was curious about what heads to get for my toms between powerstroke 3 and 4 because I have pinstripes and they sound a little too dull for me. I'm kind of looking for something a little warmer with not too much resonance. I am also having a little trouble with my powerstroke 3 bass drum head sitting flush on my bass drum. There is a little gap between the hoop and the aluminum rim. I have tried tightening it really tight with no success and I tried reseting it on the shell twice and I called musiciansfriend where I got them from and all they had to say was to just leave it if it sounds fine and it will be fine. But anyway open to all opinions and if anyone knows tell me how the powerstroke 4 or the aquarian superkick 2 heads sound on the bass drum. Oh by the way I have a 2 22" poplar pearl export bass drum shells.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Powerstroke 3 or 4 on toms?

I used P3's on my toms and loved them. 15, 16, 18 inchers. Never tried the P4, but I'm not such a big fan of 2 ply muffled heads. Like the Pinstripe. Worked great on my acrylic shells, because they were so "live" to begin with, but not everyone wants "resonance". The P3 is an Ambassador with a build in ritchie ring, the P4 a Emperor with the same built in ritchie ring. If Pins ain't your deal, the P4 won't work either. Back the "other" way, and go with the P3 or just the "tried and true" Emperor for batter. As for the kick drum gap, if the drum sounds good, what's the problem. It's probably the head slightly off. When you re-head the drum, if the same thing happens, then you've probably got hoop or drum shell issues (probably hoop). But again, if it sounds good. If the heads not wrinkled. We are dealing with Pearl Exports, so a gap doesn't suprise me.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Big_Philly

P4's are very heavily damped, more damped than pinstripes probably.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:05 PM
Mystic

hmm well I'm just worried about the P3 having too much resonance because my stock pearl protones were single ply and they rang absolutely way too much but the pinstripe almost gives me what I want but not quite maybe I should order 1 of each for my 12" tom and see which one I like more. I was also wondering if a P4 batter P3 reso combo would sound nice. ty guys for the feedback it is greatly appreciated oh ya and the stock heads that came on my set fit fine on it
Old 11-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
hmm well I'm just worried about the P3 having too much resonance because my stock pearl protones were single ply and they rang absolutely way too much but the pinstripe almost gives me what I want but not quite maybe I should order 1 of each for my 12" tom and see which one I like more. I was also wondering if a P4 batter P3 reso combo would sound nice. ty guys for the feedback it is greatly appreciated oh ya and the stock heads that came on my set fit fine on it
The P4-P3 combination would work well for a bassdrum but might be too muffles for a tom. The P3 is essentially an ambassador, but with a ring on the inside to stop vibrations of a higher mode than the fundamental mode of the head. Have a look at this picture, it is of the vibrating modes of a string, but similar things happen in a drum head. If there is damping applied to the edge of the head the higher modes (or harmonics) of the head will be damped more heavily than it's fundamental pitch.

EDIT:

The fundamental mode of a drum head looks like this:

The third mode, or second harmonic, looks more like this:

Placing damping near the edge of a drum head will cause the most damping on modes with higher amplitudes near the edge of the drum.

(source)

Last edited by Big_Philly; 11-30-2007 at 12:43 PM. Reason: found some pretty animations :)
Old 11-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Mystic

oh alright thx and how about the bass drum combinations are u saying I should use a 2 ply on the batter and a single ply on the resonance? so like a sk 2 and a regulator or ps4 and ps3 cuse atm I do have the ps3 on the batter and stock on the reso and its sounds pretty good with no muffling but if you know what I meen it gets way too much vibration so it sounds like a very resonate humm so it doesnt really thump if you can kinda of see what I'm saying like it hums more than I get out of the initial attack and I did try a body pillow and muffled it way too much but I want a combo that requires no muffling as danny carey would do it so if you know of a no muffle combo or if the ps4 ps3 combo is it plz tell me thx again for your time.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Big_Philly

I think the P4 batter and P3 reso will give quite a lot more attack. A port hole also helps in the amount of attack you get out of your bassdrum.
What I have now is a clear powersonic batter head and a stock resonant head that is constructed very similar to a Powerstroke 3. Works fine, I usually don't use the additional muffling pillow-thingy provided with the powersonic since I like a boomy, cannon-ish bass.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:00 AM
Mystic

damn.... I spent $50 on ps3' for no reason now :( oh well I'll just keep ps4's in mind next drum replacement and I think for toms I will do the ps3/ps3 combo cuse I seem to get from this info that the ps 4 is more dampened than a pinstripe and those are too dampened for me but thx I will try ps4 on bass next time oh and by the way can anyone tell me why they are discontinuing the export series? cuse I just got it last year and now it's like wtf you know cause I feel like I got ripped off and now they have their new series comin out but I do like the set so I just feel like they found a better way to make drums 1 year after I spend my whole budget on the export hahaha
Old 12-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
damn.... I spent $50 on ps3' for no reason now :(
Not necessarily. You can still use it as your resonant head, nothing wrong with clear reso's on a bassdrum :)
Old 12-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Mystic

hmm but it will look really funny cause I put the falam patches on my heads and it's a little weary looking where I'm hitting them just from normal wear, will that have an effect on the sound either? Atm I have a stock pearl head with a custom port hole on the res sides, is there a big difference in ps 3 and the stock pearl cuse they are both single ply