DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

Default Goin' back to Remo

Well, I've been experimenting with different heads for a while now. I particularly was interested in the Aquarians and Evans heads because I had heard a lot of good things about them. Well, I'm not going to bash any of the heads I've tried, because they've all had their merits. On the most recent head change, though, I went back to Remo coated Ambassadors, just for reference, mostly.

The first night, during sound check, the bass player says "Man, your toms sound incredible." I had to agree. They sounded killer through the PA and behind the kit.

And so it turns out, I'm back were I started. I can't say I'm never going to try a new head. But I'll always compare them to the Remo Coated Ambassadors.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Goin' back to Remo

That's the thing. I use Remo Ambassadors on my entire kit, bass drum included. I've never found a better head for my applications especially with regards to the sound. They sound really great. On the other hand, if I were using two-ply heads I wouldn't play Remo, I'd probably use Evans. This is due to the reported issues with two-ply Remo heads that have been highlighted many times on this forum. As far as single-ply goes, Remo Ambassadors are the King.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:38 PM

i have ambassadors on my toms and they sound great, id recommend them over coated emperors anyday

Old 11-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Pioneer Member

There's a reason it's probably the most recorded head around!
Old 11-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
There's a reason it's probably the most recorded head around!
Too right.

I just love the warmth they give when recorded.

And the classy look of them on my drums...

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 11-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

I'm running Evans coated G2's on my toms too and will probably go back to Remo either coated ambassadors or emperors. I like the G2's, the sound is just not quite what I am looking for, it's not bad, but just not like the emperors. Unfortanately it will probably take me 10 years to wear these out!! My wife doesn't understand the need for new drum heads, even though she needs a new shirt every week!!
Old 11-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I'll always compare them to the Remo Coated Ambassadors.
I do the same. CAs are a great reference point. I'm actually about to put CAs or CEs back on my kit. Currently I have Aquarian StudioX heads on my toms, and while I like the sound, they aren't picked up well by my OH mic and I don't have enough inputs to close mic the toms. I think the As or even the Es will solve that by bringing back some ring (presence).
Old 11-26-2007, 02:27 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Well, I've been experimenting with different heads for a while now. I particularly was interested in the Aquarians and Evans heads because I had heard a lot of good things about them. Well, I'm not going to bash any of the heads I've tried, because they've all had their merits. On the most recent head change, though, I went back to Remo coated Ambassadors, just for reference, mostly.

The first night, during sound check, the bass player says "Man, your toms sound incredible." I had to agree. They sounded killer through the PA and behind the kit.

And so it turns out, I'm back were I started. I can't say I'm never going to try a new head. But I'll always compare them to the Remo Coated Ambassadors.
IDDrummer, you have a keen ear. I too was in the experimenting mode and I tried some Evans heads. I used to have a Yamaha recording custom kit and played in a pretty high powered rock band. I used clear Emperors on my toms and they sounded great. So did clear Ambassadors, but they weren't as durable and I change heads as soon as I feel the sound quality has diminished at all. Coated versions didn't sound quite as good to me on this kit. I also used a coated Emperor on my supraphonic snare drum.

Anyway, I now have a Yamaha maple custom absolute kit and I play in a less agressive situation now, so I fitted the tom batters and snare with coated Ambassadors. They sound great on this kit. Gettting back to the Evans heads, I tried coated and clear G2's, a clear EMAD and a PC reverse dot on my snare. I liked them all, they were very consistent in sound, but as IDDrummer pointed out to me in a post, they sound slightly "boxy" to me compared to Remo's. The good thing is that I found some viable alternatives from Evans that I can trust, but the coated Ambassadors still sound the best to me. I still use the EMAD on my kick though. I use it mostly because I like the sound, plus I don't have to use any muffling at all in the kick drum and I like that. IDDrummer, I'd be curious to know what kick drum head you prefer and why?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrums21 View Post
IDDrummer, I'd be curious to know what kick drum head you prefer and why?
Right now I've got the Aquarian Super Kick I on there from my all-Aquarian experiment. It's not bad, but is a little more dead-sounding than the EMAD and isn't quite as loud. I think when this one wears out I'll probably go back to a clear EMAD. It seems to have a nice balance of smooth roundness and attack. Then again, maybe I'll go with the Powerstroke. It's not as round-sounding as the EMAD to me, but has better attack. Decisions, decisions....

The Aquarian is showing signs of fatigue, so I'll probably have to decide before long.

Good to hear from you, Clint. You still touring?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Right now I've got the Aquarian Super Kick I on there from my all-Aquarian experiment. It's not bad, but is a little more dead-sounding than the EMAD and isn't quite as loud. I think when this one wears out I'll probably go back to a clear EMAD. It seems to have a nice balance of smooth roundness and attack. Then again, maybe I'll go with the Powerstroke. It's not as round-sounding as the EMAD to me, but has better attack. Decisions, decisions....

The Aquarian is showing signs of fatigue, so I'll probably have to decide before long.

Good to hear from you, Clint. You still touring?
Nice to hear from you as well. Thanks for responding to my question about your bass drum head choice. The touring thing is pretty much done for the winter months. I'm playing a harder rock gig right now, filling in for an injured drummer, and I mashed my coated Ambassadors! I had to switch out to clear emps on the toms. They don't sound as open and clear, but it's a trade off I have to live with for now. Maybe it was just because I wasn't used to hitting as hard and over compensated...I don't know. If the sound bugs me enough, I'll probably go back to the Ambassadors again. I like the EMAD on my kick. I like the powerstroke too, but I have to place a small amount of muffling in the drum with the powerstroke and I don't with the EMAD. I'll probably stay with the EMAD, at least until there is something else worth trying out. Thanks again for your reply. Take care.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:34 AM

I use remo as well...

Snare= Ambassador
Toms= Pinstripe