DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 11-23-2007, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member

Default Peace Kahuna jazz shell pack Bubinga drums

Well tomorrow these will be put on my credit card and be coming home with me. To cause a SERIOUS distraction or attempt to any possible mid life crises for my upcoming 50th birthday next year i've decided to treat myself to this fine jazz kit to prepare for this milestone moment ahead of time. First new kit purchase in over 25 years. Been told the only Peace Kahuna Series Bubinga jazz shell pack in Canada at the moment by the local Peace distributor and maybe in the States too possibly. Very exciting!

All Bubinga 9 ply wood shells:

!8"x16" bass drum and DA 143 bass drum riser
14"x14" floor tom
10"x8 tom with DA-158 CH cresent mount
5 1/2"x14" snare drum

Hardware:

1-TSS-610 tom tom stand {as pictured}

Have all the rest I need in hardware covered already.

Here's a pic supplied by the Canadian Peace distributor Noel at Heartbeat Percussion. This is what's coming home except for the cym. and HH. and SD stands. Going to be a blast!:
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 11-22-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Peace Kahuna jazz shell pack Bubinga drums

Stan, looks like we will be " mid-life crisising 50" together next year!

If this is preparation for the real event, I shudder to think what that will be??!!

the mind boggles at the possibilities.

I say, enjoy these beauties, you deserve it...and dont forget to post up the big Kahuna next year.

cheers

p.s. a buddy of mine plays Peace. awesome quality. The make drums for everybody else too. Theirs are just less expensive because they have huge production capabilities
Old 11-23-2007, 07:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Stan, looks like we will be " mid-life crisising 50" together next year!

If this is preparation for the real event, I shudder to think what that will be??!!

the mind boggles at the possibilities.

I say, enjoy these beauties, you deserve it...and dont forget to post up the big Kahuna next year.

cheers
Well that makes 2 of us then aydee.

Thanks and I tried to think of what would be the perfect thing to acknowledge this milestone event in my life in a positive way and this kit fell into my radar recently as the best possible candidate aybee.

Will post my own pics of the kit and more as I near the Big Kahuna LOL!.

P.S. Yes i've tried out and inspected several of the drums from the Paragon Series in advance of this purchase aydee. Excellent quality of drums made by Peace. These will be no acception in regards to their pro level top of the line series drums which these Bubingas are also.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Silver Member

the finish looks great but those offset lugs kill it. They do not belong on a sophisticated jazz kit like that!
Old 11-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member

what are you planning to use as a batter head on the 18" kick?
Old 11-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
what are you planning to use as a batter head on the 18" kick?
Good question. It comes with a Remo front resonant Ebony bass drum head and on the batter side is a Remo Ebony Powerstroke 3. I've already got a 18" clear Ambassador and a felt strip in the wings if the Powerstroke 3 does not suite my tastes but i'm going to give it a go first aydee. Will see.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
the finish looks great but those offset lugs kill it. They do not belong on a sophisticated jazz kit like that!
Yes Peace chose to do that on the all the various 9 ply Bubinga shell drums only for some reason maybe related to the wood shells itself. It's fine with me and I can live with it dom.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Silver Member

I would be more than able to live with it too. It is defiantly out of the ordinary! I am sure it will be a blast to play!
Old 11-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would be more than able to live with it too. It is defiantly out of the ordinary! I am sure it will be a blast to play!

Yes a bit different but i'm okay with it.

I'll post a full report down the road when I get to spend some quality time with them both at home and on gigs/recording sessions dom.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-23-2007, 04:12 PM
KARL MEMBER

Mhhh, I`m very interested and excited about their drums!
Congrats to that kit!! I just visited Peace`s website and looked around a bit, features, looks and quality seems to be great!

Let`s hear how you like them!
You definitly woke my interest about Peace drums!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Mhhh, I`m very interested and excited about their drums!
Congrats to that kit!! I just visited Peace`s website and looked around a bit, features, looks and quality seems to be great!

Let`s hear how you like them!
You definitly woke my interest about Peace drums!

Karl
Thanks Karl. Yes i'm pretty excited about this kit. I've checked out the quality of other Peace drums in their other high end Paragon line in person and was very impressed with the general level of quality and sound. Peace by the way is one of the only drum companies in the world making a ALL Bubinga 9 "ply type" shell and this was one of the key factors that drew me to this purchase especially considering they offered a jazz shell pack kit to boot. I like the idea of having the 10" tom too since this will be a new voice to have to play with in a jazz setting.

Will post personal pics and more comments Karl as I get to spend some time with them.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-23-2007, 07:33 PM

Steamer,

Just a beautiful GORGEROUS kit!! Congrats and good luck with it.

Best!!

75SLING
Old 11-24-2007, 05:52 AM

wow. I didn't know peace made anything as interesting as this. This really changes my mind about them. I need to check 'em out.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:05 AM

That's a sweet, sweet kit!
Old 11-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry for being late getting back guys and thanks for the kind comments. It's been a long day. Picked up the kit then came home and assembled a few of the drums then had to run to a session then pick up some new heads I knew I needed to maximize MY sound out of these amazing sounding drums. Spent the rest of the eveing completing the assembly process and tuning them up.

Here's the rundown of the heads that make these Bubinga drums sing a very sweet song indeed. Clear ambassador on the bottom and coated ambassador on the top of the 10" tom. Came with a remo pinstripe {man do I hate pinstripes} and a no name clear bottom head. Difference astounding. Same deal with head selection on 14" floor clear ambassador bottom and coated ambassador top. Again came with a remo pinstripe and no name clear bottom head. Again difference changing heads night and day. Had to experiment with the bass drum with various different heads which was time consuming. Tried and did not like the clear remo powerstroke 3 on either side. Great for rock i'm sure but not for jazz IMO. Settled on my old favorite 18" bass drum selection combo a coated ambassador on the front and a clear ambassador with a felt strip on the batter side. 18" bass drum perfection yet again for a certain round but with a strong attack and dynamic response jazz sound. The snare came with good quality remo heads out of the box with a coated ambassador and clear snare side head.

It's getting late so i'll make my general first impression brief. I've got them very close to a nice tuning I like and these drums are KILLER. The snare is just plain scary in dynamic response and crispness. The tom,floor and bass are out of this world again in clarity and dynamic response with a wide range of lows and highs in each drum. The whole kit just sings and can be beautiful sounding played very soft or very crisp,percussive and warm and LOUD if played hard.

More later when time allows since it's going to be a busy weekend so I won't get to spend further quality time to get to know them till early next week. So far sound wise i'm truly impressed and oh yes they look stunning too.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-24-2007, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Thats great, Stan, I had a feeling that you had made a very very smart choice with these drums.

I'm glad you confirmed it.

Surprised you did'nt like the PS 3, though I'm sure the Ambassadors with the felt strip give you what you need. Either way, sounds like you are real happy with the sound.

Post some sound files when you can.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:35 AM

Hi Steamer !, Congrates with your new Kit .
You'll have many years and ears of happy Satisfied playing with this kit.
Im very new to the drummers world forum and this sounds like a great place to share and gain some insight into the many aspects of the drummers world.
So here go's
I recently made a choice to get a Costom Bubinga Bass drum made 24"/ 18" TAMA. I waited as you do for 3 months and __________________ it finally arrived! BEAUTIFULL
I told the shop drum tech "do nota totcha or I breaka your..........." (He didnt touch) its funny how people listen when you threatin them (only joking) Well we unpacked it, put a pedal on it tuned it, planted ONE big PHAT note and even the guys outside doing furniture removal came into the shop sayin what the F......was that.Even the drum tech guy's eyes rolled back looking almost unconcious.........he says "Ive gotta get me one of dees."
Ever scince Ive had it there is a whole new dynamic to the kit, by the way is a free floating Sleishman drum kit ,rock maple shells square sizes 8/8 10/10 12/12 14/14 18/17 snare conga block layered paduk (iron wood) 13/6.5
The original Bass drum was 20/18 still is great for funk........anything over 115 bpm as it remains tight and punchy BUT AS FOR THE GOLIATH BUBINGA i reckon the sound punches into the future and the past all at one time MAN what a SONIC BOOM bottom end.
I ve been putting in some serious practice to adjust my playing style, The added bubinga bass drum brings out the primal Man. Know Wonder John Bonham played like he did ,those big diamention drums place you in a very powerfull energy pocket (you feel like you are the groove)
One thing Ive notice is the gunshoot recoil on the batter head "thats hard to get use to " I thought!. so ,as you do!!! drummers experiment hmmmmmm where do we start .Well without boring you to tears I finished up with 1/2 inch holes around the outer reso head 150mm apart ( you can slowly tell when there is enough air displacment to stop the bounce back effect also the little wholes around the OUTside of the reso head don't take that great Sonic Thunder out of the shell or the resonation out of the front head ) I ended up with 7 1/2 inch holes .
This great for my style as when i get lazzzzie I rest my beater on the batter head and without the holes there certainly was no chance of a quik napp on the beater head ,Man it virbrated back through the beater!.
So I play with added zing and primevil Warrior ug ug as most drummers do!??? I love Bubinga .I would certainly invest in some Hyperdrive toms have you tryed these yet?

Well chow4now thanks for listening ear & Blessings on your drumming ventures Groove All De Time GADT

GADT
Old 11-24-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I agree, not cool .
Old 11-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Stan the Man...Maybe I should plan for my older than middle age, 60th in may. Oh yeah, I just bought the Gretsch. That is gorgeous for sure. Up in Canada keep them warm.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thats great, Stan, I had a feeling that you had made a very very smart choice with these drums.

I'm glad you confirmed it.

Surprised you did'nt like the PS 3, though I'm sure the Ambassadors with the felt strip give you what you need. Either way, sounds like you are real happy with the sound.

Post some sound files when you can.
Yes aydee these certainly lived up to my hopes.

No worries on the powerstroke 3 aydee as i'm sure it's a fine head it's just that I have a very particular sound in mind in the way I like to hear a responsive clean attack of the note with a hard beater and a very wide dynamic response regarding the bass drum too. Clear or coated ambassador always seems to deliver that certain something I like to hear on a bass drum batter head.

Sound files later down the road aydee.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-24-2007, 05:29 PM
KARL MEMBER

Oh yeah, I`m really looking forward to some sound files Stan! :-)
By the way, how much did you pay for it? And is it available with a 12x8" tom?

thanks,

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Stan the Man...Maybe I should plan for my older than middle age, 60th in may. Oh yeah, I just bought the Gretsch. That is gorgeous for sure. Up in Canada keep them warm.
Well it was a idea I had to celebrate at milestone in my life and i'm glad I did Gruntersdad. Always a good excuse to buy more drum related stuff LOL!.

Yes you would not wan't to temperture shock these exotic shells to much because the 9 ply Bubinga wood is very hard and heavy. And yes it's Canada and it's starting to get cold now.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rritter View Post
I agree, not cool .
One look at the Bubinga drums in the flesh and a few strokes with a pair of sticks will kill any cosmetic concerns over offset lugs trust me.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Oh yeah, I`m really looking forward to some sound files Stan! :-)
By the way, how much did you pay for it? And is it available with a 12x8" tom?

thanks,

Karl

Got a very good deal Karl.

They make a 12"x9" tom too.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADT View Post
Hi Steamer !, Congrates with your new Kit .
You'll have many years and ears of happy Satisfied playing with this kit.
Im very new to the drummers world forum and this sounds like a great place to share and gain some insight into the many aspects of the drummers world.
So here go's
I recently made a choice to get a Costom Bubinga Bass drum made 24"/ 18" TAMA. I waited as you do for 3 months and __________________ it finally arrived! BEAUTIFULL
I told the shop drum tech "do nota totcha or I breaka your..........." (He didnt touch) its funny how people listen when you threatin them (only joking) Well we unpacked it, put a pedal on it tuned it, planted ONE big PHAT note and even the guys outside doing furniture removal came into the shop sayin what the F......was that.Even the drum tech guy's eyes rolled back looking almost unconcious.........he says "Ive gotta get me one of dees."
Ever scince Ive had it there is a whole new dynamic to the kit, by the way is a free floating Sleishman drum kit ,rock maple shells square sizes 8/8 10/10 12/12 14/14 18/17 snare conga block layered paduk (iron wood) 13/6.5
The original Bass drum was 20/18 still is great for funk........anything over 115 bpm as it remains tight and punchy BUT AS FOR THE GOLIATH BUBINGA i reckon the sound punches into the future and the past all at one time MAN what a SONIC BOOM bottom end.
I ve been putting in some serious practice to adjust my playing style, The added bubinga bass drum brings out the primal Man. Know Wonder John Bonham played like he did ,those big diamention drums place you in a very powerfull energy pocket (you feel like you are the groove)
One thing Ive notice is the gunshoot recoil on the batter head "thats hard to get use to " I thought!. so ,as you do!!! drummers experiment hmmmmmm where do we start .Well without boring you to tears I finished up with 1/2 inch holes around the outer reso head 150mm apart ( you can slowly tell when there is enough air displacment to stop the bounce back effect also the little wholes around the OUTside of the reso head don't take that great Sonic Thunder out of the shell or the resonation out of the front head ) I ended up with 7 1/2 inch holes .
This great for my style as when i get lazzzzie I rest my beater on the batter head and without the holes there certainly was no chance of a quik napp on the beater head ,Man it virbrated back through the beater!.
So I play with added zing and primevil Warrior ug ug as most drummers do!??? I love Bubinga .I would certainly invest in some Hyperdrive toms have you tryed these yet?

Well chow4now thanks for listening ear & Blessings on your drumming ventures Groove All De Time GADT

Thanks GADT.

Yes this 9 ply Bubinga 18" x16" bass drum has the most amazing low fundamental pitch for a small drum i've heard so I know of what you speak about the full strong character of this wood. I imagine a bigger Bubinga shell bass drum to yes indeed be a REAL room shaker!.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Used the snare on a original jazz recording project today followed by a gig tonight. This is one SUPERB instrument indeed. I've heard and played my fair share of great sounding snare drums over the years but I have to say this is one of the best i've heard in a jazz setting hands down. Crisp with a sharp hard clean attack yet dark, mellow,warm and musical sounding all rolled into one combined with an incredibly responsive dynamic range without a hint of choke in the mix. Great stuff Peace.

Still working on the fine tuning of the rest of the kit at home and getting the new heads seated just right. Very close to the definitive sound I believe they can deliver with just a few more tweaks and im done.

Great sounding jazz kit that's going to get center stage for gigs,projects and such from this point on. Well Peace was certainly on the money with this design and choice of wooden shells. 9 ply all African Bubinga hardwood shells certainly deliver the goods IMO in small sizes actually this choice of wood makes for drums that sound much bigger and fuller in character than what one would think and expect from such small size drums.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Gold Member

Steamer,
Major congrats on the new kit! I don't know what all the fuss is over the offset lugs, no biggie to me. So what beater do you use on the bass drum? If you use a wood beater, do you use any sort of patch on the batter? I love coated Ambassadors on the toms. Have fun on that splendid kit!

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 11-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
Steamer,
Major congrats on the new kit! I don't know what all the fuss is over the offset lugs, no biggie to me. So what beater do you use on the bass drum? If you use a wood beater, do you use any sort of patch on the batter? I love coated Ambassadors on the toms. Have fun on that splendid kit!
Thanks Mendozart. Yup it's a beauty,beautiful wood to look at and to listen to. I could care care less about the offset lugs. Never realy thought about till a few pointed it out here and certainly means nothing to me. Hey i've always been a rebel going against the grain anyway. Like I said earlier once you've seen and heard them in the flesh all thoughts of offset lugs will be the last thing on your mind believe me.

Just using a hard wool beater that came with my Yamaha BD pedal hitting higher up from center on a clear ambassador with a felt strip running along the bottom of the head. I ended up not using the supplied Peace riser as I like the sound I've used for over 30 years having a hard wool beater hitting up from center on a 18" bass drum. Like the combination of attack and a more resonant full tone in regards to a 18" drum using this approach. Very solid and full sounding. Blame Elvin Jones and Tony Williams they started it with 18" bass drums long before such things as risers for small kicks were created. Elvin used a wood beater with this approach and the drum was wide open with no dampening at all. Later Canadian jazz legend Claude Ranger reminded me and confirmed yet again the musical effect in a jazz setting of having a hard wool beater hit up from center on 16" and 18" bass drums.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

very nice kit. Love it. Just a question, and I know this might sound rude, so you don't have to anwser it if you want, but how much does one of those cats cost, seeing that peace is known for superb prices?

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 11-26-2007, 02:20 AM

Beatiful kit! Congrats!

I second the rude question about cost :D :D :D
to be twicely rude- I'll take that riser off your hands if you don't want it :)
Old 11-26-2007, 03:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
Beatiful kit! Congrats!

I second the rude question about cost :D :D :D
to be twicely rude- I'll take that riser off your hands if you don't want it :)
Boy you guys play hardball. I'll say again I came apon a good deal on this superb Peace Bubinga kit and leave it at that.

Might pass along the riser to a buddy back east for a Christmas present if not i'll let you know Jazz if it's up for grabs.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-26-2007, 03:55 AM
Platinum Member

........I kind of like the offset tom......... breaks symmetry in a nice way.......
Old 11-26-2007, 04:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
........I kind of like the offset tom......... breaks symmetry in a nice way.......
Time for a poll aydee LOL!.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-26-2007, 04:37 AM
Platinum Member

Congrats on 50! Congrats on the kit! and we want PICTURES ;-)
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 11-26-2007, 04:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
Congrats on 50! Congrats on the kit! and we want PICTURES ;-)

Thanks and soon. Working on it mandelbaum.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-26-2007, 12:46 PM

Hi Steamer,

I may have missed in the posts but I was trying to get some info on the DA 143 bass drum riser you mentioned but I'm not finding anything on the web. Do you have a website to which you can point me?

Thanks, again.

75sling
Old 11-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75sling View Post
Hi Steamer,

I may have missed in the posts but I was trying to get some info on the DA 143 bass drum riser you mentioned but I'm not finding anything on the web. Do you have a website to which you can point me?

Thanks, again.

75sling
Hi 75sling,

I did a search and it's not listed anywhere on the Peace website {looks like they need to update} but it is featured in the new 2007-08 Peace cataloque I was given on page 70. Best to contact the nearest Peace dealer to order one up since it is a standard available production item.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

Well I wait for a friend to help me out with some pics i'll post some further comments related to the kit. First off the snare drum features some high quality die cast hoops really tightening up the sound very nicely,superb instrument. Actually all the hardware and lug housings are of a fine good quality in general including the TT stand and holder,FT brackets and memory clamps,legs and TT cresent mount and such. The bass drum hoops are the the only not completely Bubinga related ply structure wood wise noted on the drums. Both sides of the 18" hoops feature some stunning beautiful Bubinga plys well the center plys of each hoop appearing to be maple. Very good quality BD hoops and laquer finish. The shells as noted are all Bubinga wood in ply makeup as easily noted with the heads off during a early shell inspection of the drums. I noticed that the badge on each drum has in inscription that each shell in this series was made by hand in Taiwan. Sure shows in the degree of time put into the shells and the bearing edges and probably in reference to the hands on quality inspection of the finished shells. The laquer finish on each drum competes with what many would consider the best in the business IMO. Excellent level of quality in general regarding these Peace Bubinga shell drums.

The more I play this kit the more i'm in love with the SOUND of these fine drums. Certainly one on a short list of the best kits i've ever heard certainly for a jazz setting. And no i'm not an endorser just a VERY satisfied recent owner of these wonderful drums

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 11-27-2007 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

Okay people here's the money shots as they say of my new Peace Kahuna Bubinga jazz shell pack all set and ready to go now with a few of my Agops thrown into the mix to complete this fine combo:
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 11-22-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

looking good to go, Stan! Let us know how they gig.