DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-22-2007, 01:05 AM

Default Remote Hi-hat????

I was wondering what you guys would suggest for a remote hi hat stand since I hate having to cross over my snare hand so I can get a quick beat going on my hat since it limits my left hand on what I can reach with it.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:37 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

Quote:
Originally Posted by somexone75 View Post
I was wondering what you guys would suggest for a remote hi hat stand since I hate having to cross over my snare hand so I can get a quick beat going on my hat since it limits my left hand on what I can reach with it.
I have information about remote hi-hat stands on Handidrummed. I actually need to update it. www.handidrummed.com/products/#remote

I personally like the Pearl, although the DW has interchangeable cables. The Pearl only comes with an 8', but the DW has various lengths you can buy.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I have information about remote hi-hat stands on Handidrummed. I actually need to update it. www.handidrummed.com/products/#remote

I personally like the Pearl, although the DW has interchangeable cables. The Pearl only comes with an 8', but the DW has various lengths you can buy.
What kind of a difference have you noticed between the two?

You need to change the price on the website because I went looking around and only found it for at cheapest $219.95 and the DW one was going for $235 or maybe less, not 100% sure.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:33 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
What kind of a difference have you noticed between the two?

You need to change the price on the website because I went looking around and only found it for at cheapest $219.95 and the DW one was going for $235 or maybe less, not 100% sure.
Well the Pearl is more adjustable because you can use different cams and adjust the footboard height. You might be able to adjust footboard height on the DW but I don't know. Feel wise, I haven't played the 9000 so I can't compare. I had a 5000 and at the time i found the Pearl to be a bit smoother.

The price I put was for the 8' which is standard. A few websites have different prices, some actually even more than what I listed, so I can't be 100% accurate. I may just take the prices off completely for that reason.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:41 AM

Anyone else try them out?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

Have you tried playing open-handed, left hand on the hi-hat?
Old 11-22-2007, 04:50 PM

I have the Pearl, and a cheapo Peace unit.
Can't recommend the Peace.

The Pearl is great though, I've enjoyed gigging with it the past few years.
Really broadens your options for placement. I tried it on the right for a while, but found it was not good for double-sticking the hat. I've got it in the middle now and I love it there. Open-handed for both hands!
Old 11-22-2007, 05:32 PM

i have the dw 9000 with a 10 foot cable, bough it two months ago. feels good to me, you can only tell a slight difference in the response and action of a regular hi hat stand if you compare them side by side. i put mine on the right side of the kit as my main hi hat because i was tired of crossing my arms and it works great
Old 11-22-2007, 06:54 PM

Anyone know the difference between the DW 9000 and the DW 9502LB?
Old 11-23-2007, 01:12 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Anyone know the difference between the DW 9000 and the DW 9502LB?
There is no difference. Musicians Friend (which I assume that's what you're looking at) lists both with two radically different prices, but DW's website only lists the 9502LB and all other sites only list that one for about $329.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
There is no difference. Musicians Friend (which I assume that's what you're looking at) lists both with two radically different prices, but DW's website only lists the 9502LB and all other sites only list that one for about $329.
Thanks for the help Rob. I think I'll go with the DW setup due to the interchangeable cable giving me more room to tamper with it to make it do what I need it to do..
Old 11-23-2007, 04:32 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Thanks for the help Rob. I think I'll go with the DW setup due to the interchangeable cable giving me more room to tamper with it to make it do what I need it to do..
Remember though you need to buy the cable length of your choice. By default it comes with an 8 footer, but for your needs I'd probably go with a two footer.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Have you tried playing open-handed, left hand on the hi-hat?
For most people, that would be a huge undertaking, possibly not worth the hassle, but if you kept with it you would have ambidextrous skills.

If a person wants to keep playing ride and hats with their right hand and yet wants the advantages of open playing, a remote hat is the only way to do it (unless you flip the set around). This is a sensible approach that requires little re-learning.

I would like to see the setup when it's done. I haven't seen anybody play their primary hats like that.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Remember though you need to buy the cable length of your choice. By default it comes with an 8 footer, but for your needs I'd probably go with a two footer.
Good point, but I don't think the two footer would work.

I'm trying to keep the pedal on the bottom left and have the hat next to the ride on my right.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:09 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Good point, but I don't think the two footer would work.

I'm trying to keep the pedal on the bottom left and have the hat next to the ride on my right.
Oh I didn't know you were putting it on that side. In that case the 8 footer is enough and I probably wouldn't go less than that.

Why are you putting it all the way over there though? Can't you put the snare more in front of you so just don't have to cross over as much? Putting it on the right side you lose the ability to use your left hand on the hi-hat, unless you're unable to do that comfortably anyway in which case it doesn't matter.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Oh I didn't know you were putting it on that side. In that case the 8 footer is enough and I probably wouldn't go less than that.

Why are you putting it all the way over there though? Can't you put the snare more in front of you so just don't have to cross over as much? Putting it on the right side you lose the ability to use your left hand on the hi-hat, unless you're unable to do that comfortably anyway in which case it doesn't matter.
Good point. I have been trying to experiment with my snare placement, and it is looking like I'd need a second snare to my left to get the multi-hand flexibility on the cymbal accents with a continuous hat.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:53 PM

see if you can try it out in the middle- at least for a trial run.
It has opened a world of possibilities to me- it's at least worth a try. I love having it in the center, it's fully accessible with both hands, but you never have to cross over.

Bill Bruford seems partial to it too...

Old 11-23-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xush View Post
see if you can try it out in the middle- at least for a trial run.
It has opened a world of possibilities to me- it's at least worth a try. I love having it in the center, it's fully accessible with both hands, but you never have to cross over.

Bill Bruford seems partial to it too...

I love the idea, but I do a lot of tom runs and that would just be a little too much effort to do.

Any other ideas?
Old 11-23-2007, 08:06 PM

I set mine up with the snare and toms in front of me and bring the hat in as close as I can get it, overhanging the toms. I think there are others with this approach also-
the hat is usually no further away than the standard position on the left.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xush View Post
I set mine up with the snare and toms in front of me and bring the hat in as close as I can get it, overhanging the toms. I think there are others with this approach also-
the hat is usually no further away than the standard position on the left.
I think I'll just keep playing around with the setup to get it where it feels good.

Thanks again guys.