DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-22-2007, 01:05 AM
somexone75's Avatar
somexone75 somexone75 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 156
Default Remote Hi-hat????

I was wondering what you guys would suggest for a remote hi hat stand since I hate having to cross over my snare hand so I can get a quick beat going on my hat since it limits my left hand on what I can reach with it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-22-2007, 02:37 AM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

Quote:
Originally Posted by somexone75 View Post
I was wondering what you guys would suggest for a remote hi hat stand since I hate having to cross over my snare hand so I can get a quick beat going on my hat since it limits my left hand on what I can reach with it.
I have information about remote hi-hat stands on Handidrummed. I actually need to update it. www.handidrummed.com/products/#remote

I personally like the Pearl, although the DW has interchangeable cables. The Pearl only comes with an 8', but the DW has various lengths you can buy.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-22-2007, 02:44 AM
somexone75's Avatar
somexone75 somexone75 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 156
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I have information about remote hi-hat stands on Handidrummed. I actually need to update it. www.handidrummed.com/products/#remote

I personally like the Pearl, although the DW has interchangeable cables. The Pearl only comes with an 8', but the DW has various lengths you can buy.
What kind of a difference have you noticed between the two?

You need to change the price on the website because I went looking around and only found it for at cheapest $219.95 and the DW one was going for $235 or maybe less, not 100% sure.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-22-2007, 04:33 AM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

Quote:
Originally Posted by somexone75 View Post
What kind of a difference have you noticed between the two?

You need to change the price on the website because I went looking around and only found it for at cheapest $219.95 and the DW one was going for $235 or maybe less, not 100% sure.
Well the Pearl is more adjustable because you can use different cams and adjust the footboard height. You might be able to adjust footboard height on the DW but I don't know. Feel wise, I haven't played the 9000 so I can't compare. I had a 5000 and at the time i found the Pearl to be a bit smoother.

The price I put was for the 8' which is standard. A few websites have different prices, some actually even more than what I listed, so I can't be 100% accurate. I may just take the prices off completely for that reason.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-22-2007, 04:41 AM
somexone75's Avatar
somexone75 somexone75 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 156
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

Anyone else try them out?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Wavelength's Avatar
Wavelength Wavelength is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,047
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

Have you tried playing open-handed, left hand on the hi-hat?
__________________
I play Kumu Drums. I also shoot videos.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-22-2007, 04:50 PM
xush's Avatar
xush xush is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 211
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

I have the Pearl, and a cheapo Peace unit.
Can't recommend the Peace.

The Pearl is great though, I've enjoyed gigging with it the past few years.
Really broadens your options for placement. I tried it on the right for a while, but found it was not good for double-sticking the hat. I've got it in the middle now and I love it there. Open-handed for both hands!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-22-2007, 05:32 PM
johnnyfivetimes johnnyfivetimes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 31
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

i have the dw 9000 with a 10 foot cable, bough it two months ago. feels good to me, you can only tell a slight difference in the response and action of a regular hi hat stand if you compare them side by side. i put mine on the right side of the kit as my main hi hat because i was tired of crossing my arms and it works great
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-22-2007, 06:54 PM
somexone75's Avatar
somexone75 somexone75 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 156
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

Anyone know the difference between the DW 9000 and the DW 9502LB?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-23-2007, 01:12 AM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

Quote:
Originally Posted by somexone75 View Post
Anyone know the difference between the DW 9000 and the DW 9502LB?
There is no difference. Musicians Friend (which I assume that's what you're looking at) lists both with two radically different prices, but DW's website only lists the 9502LB and all other sites only list that one for about $329.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-23-2007, 01:31 AM
somexone75's Avatar
somexone75 somexone75 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 156
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
There is no difference. Musicians Friend (which I assume that's what you're looking at) lists both with two radically different prices, but DW's website only lists the 9502LB and all other sites only list that one for about $329.
Thanks for the help Rob. I think I'll go with the DW setup due to the interchangeable cable giving me more room to tamper with it to make it do what I need it to do..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-23-2007, 04:32 AM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

Quote:
Originally Posted by somexone75 View Post
Thanks for the help Rob. I think I'll go with the DW setup due to the interchangeable cable giving me more room to tamper with it to make it do what I need it to do..
Remember though you need to buy the cable length of your choice. By default it comes with an 8 footer, but for your needs I'd probably go with a two footer.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-23-2007, 06:58 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Have you tried playing open-handed, left hand on the hi-hat?
For most people, that would be a huge undertaking, possibly not worth the hassle, but if you kept with it you would have ambidextrous skills.

If a person wants to keep playing ride and hats with their right hand and yet wants the advantages of open playing, a remote hat is the only way to do it (unless you flip the set around). This is a sensible approach that requires little re-learning.

I would like to see the setup when it's done. I haven't seen anybody play their primary hats like that.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-23-2007, 04:31 PM
somexone75's Avatar
somexone75 somexone75 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 156
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Remember though you need to buy the cable length of your choice. By default it comes with an 8 footer, but for your needs I'd probably go with a two footer.
Good point, but I don't think the two footer would work.

I'm trying to keep the pedal on the bottom left and have the hat next to the ride on my right.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-23-2007, 05:09 PM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

Quote:
Originally Posted by somexone75 View Post
Good point, but I don't think the two footer would work.

I'm trying to keep the pedal on the bottom left and have the hat next to the ride on my right.
Oh I didn't know you were putting it on that side. In that case the 8 footer is enough and I probably wouldn't go less than that.

Why are you putting it all the way over there though? Can't you put the snare more in front of you so just don't have to cross over as much? Putting it on the right side you lose the ability to use your left hand on the hi-hat, unless you're unable to do that comfortably anyway in which case it doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-23-2007, 05:41 PM
somexone75's Avatar
somexone75 somexone75 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 156
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Oh I didn't know you were putting it on that side. In that case the 8 footer is enough and I probably wouldn't go less than that.

Why are you putting it all the way over there though? Can't you put the snare more in front of you so just don't have to cross over as much? Putting it on the right side you lose the ability to use your left hand on the hi-hat, unless you're unable to do that comfortably anyway in which case it doesn't matter.
Good point. I have been trying to experiment with my snare placement, and it is looking like I'd need a second snare to my left to get the multi-hand flexibility on the cymbal accents with a continuous hat.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-23-2007, 05:53 PM
xush's Avatar
xush xush is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 211
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

see if you can try it out in the middle- at least for a trial run.
It has opened a world of possibilities to me- it's at least worth a try. I love having it in the center, it's fully accessible with both hands, but you never have to cross over.

Bill Bruford seems partial to it too...

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-23-2007, 06:39 PM
somexone75's Avatar
somexone75 somexone75 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 156
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

Quote:
Originally Posted by xush View Post
see if you can try it out in the middle- at least for a trial run.
It has opened a world of possibilities to me- it's at least worth a try. I love having it in the center, it's fully accessible with both hands, but you never have to cross over.

Bill Bruford seems partial to it too...

I love the idea, but I do a lot of tom runs and that would just be a little too much effort to do.

Any other ideas?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-23-2007, 08:06 PM
xush's Avatar
xush xush is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 211
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

I set mine up with the snare and toms in front of me and bring the hat in as close as I can get it, overhanging the toms. I think there are others with this approach also-
the hat is usually no further away than the standard position on the left.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-23-2007, 08:17 PM
somexone75's Avatar
somexone75 somexone75 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 156
Default Re: Remote Hi-hat????

Quote:
Originally Posted by xush View Post
I set mine up with the snare and toms in front of me and bring the hat in as close as I can get it, overhanging the toms. I think there are others with this approach also-
the hat is usually no further away than the standard position on the left.
I think I'll just keep playing around with the setup to get it where it feels good.

Thanks again guys.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com