DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-20-2007, 05:50 PM
fusssion

Default That 80's Wet Sound ...

Hey all,
Not sure if this goes here, ....but ........I'm thinking it should go under "heads and sticks" but this may do here. Someone please move it if I messed up, and I apologize in advance.

I'm currently using my Ludwig Acrolite snare as my main...it just sounds so good! I have a nice Coated CS on it .....

However, I'm NOT currently using the Pacific birch 6x14 snare that comes with the kit and I was wondering.....Wouldn't it be cool to try and get a totally different sound out of the 6"?

I'm trying to get that really fat / wet sound out of it.....ala, Myron Grombacher, or the guy from golden earring (see attached videos). QUESTION: What head should I try? I was thinking maybe a clear pinstripe? In the "hell is for children" video, you can see MG using a clear head ........anyhow....THOUGHTS?! PLEASE!

here is Pat Benatar ...forward to Hell is for Children (2 songs on this clip) this clip is just to SEE the head he's using. The sound of the drums actually sucks bad in this video, even though the video is cool .........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y18er...eature=related

Here is Promises in the dark.....this is kind of the sound ....good view of a clear head also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uCuF...eature=related

This is Twilight Zone from Golden Earring....this is the sound I'm thinking about...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1sf2CzEq0w

You get the idea! :)
Old 11-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: That 80's Wet Sound ...

Try a CS Black dot head. I have an old 64' ludwig snare (wood) and have a CS black dot on it. We just played a bunch of old ELO tunes and the snare sounded great.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Gold Member

I'm not sure about snares, I know Hydraulics get the wettest tone out of toms.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:22 PM
fusssion

that's why I'm asking........that's the tricky part ..........

you cant' go too thick double ply or it will sound like a cardboard box...
Old 11-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Gold Member

Maybe a G1 clear? I really don't know, that wouldn't be very tough but it seems like it'd be wet
Old 11-20-2007, 06:39 PM

man, you want EBONY heads!

haha....just like those drummers in 80s hair metal bands with HUGE, terrible-sounding kits...

no but reallly, wouldn't an ebony head give you that really quick decay, and wet attack?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:20 PM

I'm not sure how practical it would be for a live application (especially if you hit hard), but that is a sound that we go for often at one of the local studios where I get hired. The easiest way we have discovered to get it is to tune my snare down quite far, then put a sheet of paper on the top head. By tuning it down, you get all the fatness, but it puts it into a range where there are a lot of ugly overtones. The paper not only controls those overtones, but also adds in all the crisp high end that went away when you tuned it down. I know it sounds whacky, but give it a try and see what you think. The only issue being that if I'm hitting hard the paper needs to be replaced a few times per session. Luckily it's easy to just throw another one on between takes.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjatkins View Post
I'm not sure how practical it would be for a live application (especially if you hit hard), but that is a sound that we go for often at one of the local studios where I get hired. The easiest way we have discovered to get it is to tune my snare down quite far, then put a sheet of paper on the top head. By tuning it down, you get all the fatness, but it puts it into a range where there are a lot of ugly overtones. The paper not only controls those overtones, but also adds in all the crisp high end that went away when you tuned it down. I know it sounds whacky, but give it a try and see what you think. The only issue being that if I'm hitting hard the paper needs to be replaced a few times per session. Luckily it's easy to just throw another one on between takes.
there's a better solution, put a 1 ply drumhead on top of the batter head of a snare drum, maybe cut the rim of that head down and if it moves too much fix it with a bit of tape in two or more sides

the trick is that you actually have to tune the snare drum quite high for this effect, but the added layer of mylar will dramatically dampen the sound and it will get very low, deep and wet sounding! And the best part is that you won't loose the response of a tight tuned snare drum, which would be a real problem if you tuned your snaredrum too low!

Try it, it WORKS!! :-)

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Bloom View Post
there's a better solution, put a 1 ply drumhead on top of the batter head of a snare drum, maybe cut the rim of that head down and if it moves too much fix it with a bit of tape in two or more sides

the trick is that you actually have to tune the snare drum quite high for this effect, but the added layer of mylar will dramatically dampen the sound and it will get very low, deep and wet sounding! And the best part is that you won't loose the response of a tight tuned snare drum, which would be a real problem if you tuned your snaredrum too low!

Try it, it WORKS!! :-)
In theory that would work - and ill have to try it...

BUT - where did you hear about it?
Its not something Ive heard of before, suprising cos it seems logical..

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 11-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
In theory that would work - and ill have to try it...

BUT - where did you hear about it?
Its not something Ive heard of before, suprising cos it seems logical..
a friend of mine, great drummer heard this from another drummer who has heard that from another drummer... lol

I was really really surprised, it works awsome! Such an easy solution and how come I've never thought about it?!

Although I would call it - (as Jojo Mayer usually says) a low tech solution for a high tech problem :-)

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
a friend of mine, great drummer heard this from another drummer who has heard that from another drummer... lol

I was really really surprised, it works awsome! Such an easy solution and how come I've never thought about it?!

Although I would call it - (as Jojo Mayer usually says) a low tech solution for a high tech problem :-)
You and Jojo...
haha

Dont tell anyone, but Im insanely jealous of the fact that he has taught you stuff...
lol

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 11-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

80s drum sound = lots of reverb, and record your drum parts while beating the cymbal parts on your thigh... then come back and record the cymbals by themselves.

:)
Old 11-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

That and learn to use a gate...
Old 11-21-2007, 02:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Basically, a Ritchie ring, which grew up to become the Powerstroke 3.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
That and learn to use a gate...
Ah yes, but make sure you leave it open long enough on the snare so it sounds like it's in a cave that suddenly terminates with lush padding.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Experimentation is just that. Coated Ambassador, Controlled Sound, Powerstroke 3 and Emperior heads are all very commonly used on snare drums (I'm a Remo guy). Chasing recorded sound, good luck. Too much "expensive" equipment involved. And asking your "secondary" snare to do the job seems hardly fair. Besides, I would think a Pacific birch already does sound completely different from a Ludwig Acrolite.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Here's how I would get my 80s wet sound

Name:  AAAAApOYRKcAAAAAAFb1iQ.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  7.1 KB

Or, just do whatever Raymond Bloom says, period!
Old 11-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
Ah yes, but make sure you leave it open long enough on the snare so it sounds like it's in a cave that suddenly terminates with lush padding.
Yeah, the release in the important factor.

Jesus I hate gates.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Here's how I would get my 80s wet sound

Attachment 15337

Or, just do whatever Raymond Bloom says, period!
Thats a great idea Aydee but not practical for studio work.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:54 PM

Hey guys.... i don't know if u can help me out..... i might be selling a kit that i have... and i want to know how much it is.... if you can help me than would u please write back and then i will give u the details on the set...... so write back if u can help me figure out how much its worth..

- thanks!!
Old 11-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachwhite24 View Post
Hey guys.... i don't know if u can help me out..... i might be selling a kit that i have... and i want to know how much it is.... if you can help me than would u please write back and then i will give u the details on the set...... so write back if u can help me figure out how much its worth..

- thanks!!
wrong place for this post, bud. Look up the classifieds thread in the search bar and post it up there.
It would also be nice if you deleted it here.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Jesus I hate gates.
Me too. I reinforced the feeling last night when I tried putting a gate on my snare and OH tracks to mask the snare buzzing in the beginning of the song when the guitar is playing. It was much easier to just lower the volume on those tracks during the beginning of the song than trying to find a good setting on the gates that didn't actually kill the natural attack of the drums... the gates were giving me something that sounded like way too much compression.

I didn't worry about the snare buzz throughout the song because you can't notice it. It was just in the beginning when the guitar amp was causing it, it sounded a bit out of place. I really like the noise in the background which is why I have been so adamant about using mics over going direct in recent recordings. Now I just need to convince my guitarist to let me mic the amp instead of going direct with the Pod.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:43 AM
Platinum Member

This is what I found which bring back my 80s memories...

Aquarian Studio-X clear with powerdot.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 11-23-2007, 04:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Jesus I hate gates.
GATES ARE AWESOME DUNCAN!
Old 11-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

I've gotten the best unmiked fat/wet sound from a snare tuned lower than I would normally tune. Raymond has valid points about playability, but in my experience, when you want that fat wet sound, you are in a musical situation that doesn't require (or even tolerate) JoJo-type playing. You just want a fat backbeat.

I've found you have to be very careful to keep the drum from sounding like a cardboard box at a distance. The best way is to tune the reso head very low, where it is as low pitched as possible. Match the batter head to the reso head's pitch. Then very gradually bring them up together until you get to the pitch you want, but don't come up too far! You want the drum, with snares off, to resonate as long as possible. It should sound more like a tom than a timbale. Then, when you apply the snares, the sustain will be naturally shortened without sounding dried out and cardboard-like. It will sound way different than you are used to, but from a distance it will be the closest you can get to that processed 80's sound. Sounds good miked, too.

Head type matters some, but isn't critical. I've achieved this sound with coated ambassadors, emperors, etc.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
GATES ARE AWESOME DUNCAN!
I take it my separation tip worked then?

I don't like using them personally, but then again I'm a traditionalist who likes an overall sound from the kit rather than individual drums within it.