DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 11-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Default My dear old jazz friends

I just posted this in Drum Gear and thought to add to my personal equipment section too. If the mods feel fit they can remove the other thread in the Drum Gear section

Well a few have asked what I use for drums and I have a few pics of my old small jazz set I use for regular gigs to share. Not the best pics but you get the idea. Not pictured a 14"x18" matching bass drum that I got with the original French made Orange set I purchased used back in 1981.

Pictured is my 14"x16" custom made bass drum with an Indonesian mahogany shell and custom made maple hoops made by Canadian drum legend Claude Ranger. 5 1/2"x 13" custom made snare again made by Claude Ranger out of a old Camco 13" cut down tom shell with all chrome over brass 1958 Gretsch hardware. The snare was Claude's personal snare used in performance and recordings in the late 80's early 90's sold to me by Claude around 1993. Both amazing instruments made by a master jazz musician and woodworker. The cute little 16" bass drum was made for me by Claude for a tour travelling with my kit in small planes up in Canada around 1990.

Next the French made Orange drums made out of African Teak probaby made in the very early 70's by my best research. A 8"x12" tom and a 14"x14" floor tom are featured in the pic. A 14" x18" matching bass drum compliments this kit on certain gigs and recording projects. The Orange drums were relaquered and had some bearing work repair work done in 1990 by again Claude Ranger.

Amazing jazz kit and old dear musical friends who have many stories to tell. Note too in the one pic the early sixties Ludwig felt lined clip on bass drum hoop dampener on the 14"x16" bass drum I found in a old music shop in my hometown of Victoria way back when.
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-17-2007, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My dear old jazz friends

Wow.

Very similar to my own kit, but yours is of higher pedigree.

Interesting how your sixteen is mounted though, does it resonate fuly, and does it stay in one place while being played?

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 11-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

i love that little kick drum. Looks like so much fun to play to me :D

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 11-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I really dig that little kit. I want a kit like that myself, except maybe an 18" bass drum rather than a 16" the 16" seems a little small even for me. How do you find the six lugs on the snare? I've always envisioned difficulties with that amount of lugs, but I'm willing to be told otherwise.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
Wow.

Very similar to my own kit, but yours is of higher pedigree.

Interesting how your sixteen is mounted though, does it resonate fuly, and does it stay in one place while being played?

Yes fijjibo that bass drum produces a surprisingly full deep solid sound for a small drum and the hard beater hits it relatively high on the head producing a good strong attack something Claude turned me onto with small bass drums and hard felt or wood beaters that REALLY works. The old Ludwig felt dampener just barely touches the batter head to take out a slight bit of ring which can be adjusted as needed per room or recording with a screw on the unit. Other than that the drum is wide open. Sounds very similar to Elvin's and Jack's open non-muffled 18" bass drums used in recordings. Clear ambassador on the front and a coated ambassador on the beater side for reference.

This thing is as solid as a rock on stage. On the front it has a vintage and do I mean "sharp" dual low profile spurlock plate that lock it down even on a wooden stage. The Yamaha bass drum pedal I use with this drum pictured has dual locking spurs which helps too.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I really dig that little kit. I want a kit like that myself, except maybe an 18" bass drum rather than a 16" the 16" seems a little small even for me. How do you find the six lugs on the snare? I've always envisioned difficulties with that amount of lugs, but I'm willing to be told otherwise.
Never had any problems with that snare in regards to tuning or staying in tune and such since 93 Mediocrefunkybeat. Sharp,crisp and warm snare drum.

You would be very surprised with the sound the 16" bass drum produces too.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkdrummer1 View Post
i love that little kick drum. Looks like so much fun to play to me :D
Well it's sure a conversion piece and conversation starter when out in public punkdrummer.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-17-2007, 11:50 PM
Pioneer Member

That seriously, is totally awesome. Never seen one quite like that.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
That seriously, is totally awesome. Never seen one quite like that.

Claude made only a few of these small bass drums Class A Drummer. A fellow Vancouver jazz drummer has the matching bass drum,floor and tom to the snare I have and a good buddy of mine a bass player in town I play with has a entire black color kit with a 14"x16" bass drum including another custom Claude made matching wood black finish snare drum. Love going to reh. to play those too. Claude really had a gift with making full resonant sounding small kits inspired after the early Tony and Elvin sound and he really dug the sound of what by his design a 16" bass drum could produce.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

I guess you're fairly tall because I'm 5'5 so even with such a tiny bass drum the height makes it looks like it's smaller than the floor tom. Beautiful drums. Any pics with the cymbals?
Old 11-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Thats make 2 beautiful kis, Stan. The gems keep emerging ,,,,,,,,,,,WOW!!!

I love em. Would love to hear how they sound
Old 11-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
I guess you're fairly tall because I'm 5'5 so even with such a tiny bass drum the height makes it looks like it's smaller than the floor tom. Beautiful drums. Any pics with the cymbals?
I'm just about 6 ft youenjoy00myself and i've always liked to sit high which certainly accentuates matters when using this small bass drum showing it's true size.

No pics with the Agops just thought to take a few quick pics of just the drums to pass along since a few had asked me about them.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Thats make 2 beautiful kis, Stan. The gems keep emerging ,,,,,,,,,,,WOW!!!

I love em. Would love to hear how they sound
Thanks. Yes first the Canwoods now these Aydee. Now your getting to see the whole old drum stash.

I've done a fair wack of recording with these but have nothing in a format to offer here at present. Will see if I can get something up to listen to.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan