DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Erik Lund

Default Mark Sanders

I got to see Mark perform live several times in London when I was there back in '01 (right after 9/11...was supposed to leave from Boston on 9/12...obviously got delayed...and bringing my drums through the airport security was a nightmare but ANYWAY)

He constantly amazed me with his playing - both taste and technique - and the sounds he got! He was doing some "extended techniques" on the drums - but so quick and precise and totally with the music (all free... "of course!" says the peanut gallery) and when he needed to get rumblin' - he simply destroyed the drums. So loud and downright scary at times.

And a hell of a guy! Me and my friend Nat Catchpole hung out with him at the pub afterwards and we talked about all sorts of stuff - from the meaning of what we play to Soft Machine.

Hangin' around the Youtube parts of the Interweb, I am finding more and more great clips of musicians - so here's one more. Check out the way Mark develops his ideas - from the very beginning till he stops at the end for the bass solo. This man is a giant.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZQmHS1gyh...elated&search=
Old 10-07-2007, 02:57 AM
Erik Lund

Default Re: Mark Sanders

*sigh*

Guess no one else is seein' what I'm seein'...

There's about 10 clinics in what he's doing on just that one clip.

I wish I could find something on youtube when he really goes off...
Old 10-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

Checked it out Erik, hated the music sorry just not my thing but at least I'm trying!! But the drums.....wow, Mr Sanders can certainly play! Keep educating me??
Old 10-23-2007, 12:55 AM
Pioneer Member

That's some damn good playing I have to say I love how developes his idea becoming more and more and intense, really answering to Brotzmann's playing, then drops it then explores into a similar idea, brings it back up then totally lets go for the bass solo, like you said - but unfortunately I'm no expert on free jazz and that was my amateur take on it.

Can you give me some recommended listening? I'm really interested in getting into some of this stuff.

I'm trying to get some of Coltrane's more free stuff (I ordered Sun Ship a while back which isn't quite free but is menna be when he's going in that direction, plus its with the classic quartet - should be getting it soon), but I want to hear some true free jazz...
Old 11-05-2007, 07:42 AM
Erik Lund

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursticks View Post
That's some damn good playing I have to say I love how developes his idea becoming more and more and intense, really answering to Brotzmann's playing, then drops it then explores into a similar idea, brings it back up then totally lets go for the bass solo, like you said - but unfortunately I'm no expert on free jazz and that was my amateur take on it.

Can you give me some recommended listening? I'm really interested in getting into some of this stuff.

I'm trying to get some of Coltrane's more free stuff (I ordered Sun Ship a while back which isn't quite free but is menna be when he's going in that direction, plus its with the classic quartet - should be getting it soon), but I want to hear some true free jazz...

No need to be an expert, man. Most of the people at shows I went to/played weren't musicians or necessarily "experts" but just enjoyed how the music affected them/made them feel. Your amateur take was great.

If you want to hear some inspired Mark Sanders, check out Evan Parker's "The Two Seasons". It's hard to come by, might be out of print, but maybe you can download it somewhere. I haven't checked... Evan Parker is without a doubt the most technically gifted saxophonist I've ever heard. He came out of the Euro free scene in the 60's - when the Europeans were trying to answer Coltrane's music with their own. He's on Brotzmann's seminal "Machine Gun" which is a tour de force of "free jazz" with a young lineup that would all become monsters of the scene. I don't know if I'd start with Machine Gun - but maybe - if you're feeling adventurous.

I was just listening to Nels Cline and Gregg Bendian (another AMAZING drummer) on "Interstellar Space Revisited - The Music of John Coltrane" - where they do Trane and Ali's duo album "Interstellar Space". Both of these albums are amazing (Get both, but start with Trane's) and what Nels does on the guitar is a great tribute to that album. People asked the question: "Do we need a tribute album for Interstellar Space?" but they play the music in their own way and make it their own. Great stuff. I'll make a Free Jazz Drumming thread - if there isn't one already.

But I'd say pick up Trane's box set "Complete Quartet Recordings" on Impulse! - It's probably around $100 but it's a great way to see Trane's development into the outer stuff - and almost helps your ear develope along the way. BTW, "Amen" on Sun Ship is one of my absolute favorite tracks ever.