DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 11-13-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Ideas

Hey Ive been playing drums for about two years now and lately ive gotten away from it because of school. I've decided that music and drumming is what I see my self doing as I get older and when I try to come up with ideas for the drumset I feel like its plain and just too simple and isn't appealing. I wondering if theres anything I an do to remedy this and come up with appealing grooves.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Ideas

Well, for starters you can pick up some drum books/DVD's or you can go to the "Drum Clinic" section of Drummerworld.com and check out some of the videos there.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:58 AM
fourstringdrums

Pick up Ted Reed's Syncopation and George Lawrence Stone's Stick Control book. I'm just getting into stick control myself but there are a lot of ways you can use both books to add things to your playing. But what I do is just watch other drummers, it doesn't matter who it is. Take ideas that you see others do and run with them. Also incorporating rudiments into your playing more is a big help.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Really, in time it will come to you. Although i dont know your age, you most likley started a few years after i started (age 6 or 7 for me i think) so your skill after two years of playing should be farther than mine was after two years.

If that is the case, truthfully, all you gotta do is practice. It took me almost 5 years of playing before i was really comfortable making up my own grooves, jamming, and soloing.

Books and teachers help, but one huge thing is just practice and experimenting with different ideas.

Also, listen to ALOT of music. If you dont already, I would say Rush and Led Zeppelin is some of the best to listen to. But dont limit yourself to just that, listen to all kinds of music from Rock, to jazz, to fusion, latin stuff, and everything. I would even suggest listening to some music you dont like. All of it should influence your style and eventually solve your problem.

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:37 AM

Hey if you want some sick grooves check out a cool video on drummerworld.com under vinnie colaiuta called vinnie, steve gadd, and dave wekl..... also check out a song called 50 ways to leave your lover... its got a cool groove to it!!!!!! repply back if you wanna...
Old 11-13-2007, 03:44 AM
Silver Member

Watch every video on drummerworld, then watch them again with a different ear. :)

Last edited by Tuxido; 11-13-2007 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:58 AM
Platinum Member

If music is what you want to do, go for it! But you will have to be involved in music 24/7. Listen to a lot of music and get different perspectives on music. Take a music theory class in school and maybe join up and start a band.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Also, listen to ALOT of music.
I agree... dig into it my friend. There is more inspriation out there than you can imagine.