DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-06-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Help with hi hat+2 kicks

I did a search but didn't find anything.

Ok, so... I recently aqcuired a second kick drum for my Pearl Masters :) and new 9000's to go with it. I bought one of those Pearl hi hat to bass hoop clamps so that I could fold up the legs on my Iron Cobra hi hat stand and get it in next to the kick pedal. The clamp works great and it is actually pretty sturdy, but the stand is as close as I can get it to the kick drum without it touching the top hoop, and the 9000 foot board is still about 2" recessed from the hi hat foot board. Get what I'm saying? It's a little difficult to play, as I have to move my foot back so far to get to the hats and it is uncomfortable to play like that. Is there a hi hat stand with a more recessed foot board? How's the 9000 stand??? In case you don't quite grasp what I'm saying, I'll make my kit on DW kitbuilder how it is now... partially because I'm really bored and I always have fun on kitbuilder.

As you can see, the hi hat foot board is no where near alligned with the kick pedal. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Help with hi hat+2 kicks

Maybe try moving your bass drum to the left of the hi-hat pedal? Odd, but it might work.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:36 PM

Ive tried, but I like my toms were they are and that would mean I either have to move them or spread my legs too far. How do the other guys with double kicks do it?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

I used a legless Gibraltar and a legless Tama stand for years. I never liked the bass hoop clamp thang. I used a Gibraltar aux. tube/clamp SC-EA100 with a 90 degree clamp on the "open" side. I've seen some cats actually notch their bass drum hoops to get the footboards "more" even. In the end you might never get the pedals totally even. The double pedal is much more adaptable to placement than the double bass. And, small condolence to you current "problem" perhaps, but back in the 60's and 70's, double bass drummers didn't have hi-hats with swivel legs, detachable legs, two legs and legless options, they just spread their legs wider. I used a flat based hi-hat to tuck the legs "under" my left kick as much as I could, and that still put the hi-hat footboard more than a foot to the left of my left kick pedal.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Another option would be a remote, cable-pull hihat stand. I've also seen some Gibraltar stands that have a couple of inches of offset. Then you could put your pedal wherever you wanted.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:47 PM

I don't know if I want to go the remote route and I'm too afraid to cut notches in my hoop, so I'm gonna try a couple stands out and see if I can find one where the footboard is more recessed into the mass of the stand. There aren't many double kick sets on the forums, so I can't get a look at how other guys set them up. I'm sure there's gotta be a stand or some sort of trick to it by now. Thanks for the replies.