DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 11-04-2007, 02:43 AM
Platinum Member

Default Paiste Traditionals 20" Medium Ride-- my new baby

I was pretty amazed today at Sam Music. I was looking into the new ride I've been saving up for-- something darker, with a nice crash, and versatile-- and I stumble upon this piece. I have to say I found what I was looking for. Apparently someone up there has it right and all the cards fell into place. I already have an extra stand, it's a used pie, and I have enough money for the discounted price. So I went for it and I'm highly satisfied.

The pictures- they really don't do justice. A little dust/stick marking but the aged look suits her well.

I think the AAX's are a little jealous. Definitely balances out the bright rock sound. I would describe its sound as darker than your average cymbal, somewhat dry with a shorter decay, atleast put next to my other pies. It's also relatively thin in weight.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Paiste Traditionals 20" Medium Ride-- my new baby

Nice!

The 20" Medium and the 22" Medium Light are my favorites of the Traditionals rides.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Just about one of the best rides money can buy. Paiste make beautiful cymbals in all their series, congratulations.

How are you finding the stick definition? I have to really coax it out of my 20" Dark Dry.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Just about one of the best rides money can buy. Paiste make beautiful cymbals in all their series, congratulations.

How are you finding the stick definition? I have to really coax it out of my 20" Dark Dry.
Actually I find the stick definition to have nice presence. It's definitely different from my AA Dry Ride where's it all "ping", but the wash and stick definition really balance out nicely for a darker, jazzier sound. This is definitely my new favorite cymbal, and I'm impressed with PAiSTe.

Also, I had to try this- giant hi-hats.

Another thing I've enjoyed with this new cymbal is experimenting with moongel slices. Two or more placed on the bow of the top side eliminates ALL wash for a completely dead tone. Not a good thing but interesting. However sticking one or two on the underside of the bell dries out the tone substantially for a really nice "tah" stick sound, something I might use.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Silver Member

Great looking cymbal!! I was wondering if the traditionals are along the same line as the signature line as far as sound goes. Looks like you got a great deal!!
Old 11-05-2007, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Gotta love new bronze. Always nice to find a ride that your ear likes.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumr0 View Post
Great looking cymbal!! I was wondering if the traditionals are along the same line as the signature line as far as sound goes. Looks like you got a great deal!!
I sure did- $140 USD for this baby. The signature and Traditionals lines do use the same bronze alloy according the PAiSTe website but the traditionals favor a darker sound. The way I see it Traditionals are to Signature as K is to A as HH is to AA etc. I actually chose this ride over a HHX manhattan jazz ride and some K rides, mostly because of a thinner weight and to me a more attractive sound and more controllable crash. Of course it helped that it was discounted.

I believe that the previous owner (who I don't know unfortunately) cleaned away the large "PAiSTe" print logo from the underside, because from pictures I've seen of traditionals, there's supposed to be one there. Not that I mind that much I guess. Makes it blend better with my Sabians.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:26 PM

Default your new baby

congratulation ... you got one of the best.
and an engraved one, too. ;-)

believe me, i know what i'm talking about ... i've the same. :-))
Old 11-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: your new baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmarkus View Post
congratulation ... you got one of the best.
and an engraved one, too. ;-)

believe me, i know what i'm talking about ... i've the same. :-))
I love your collection of cymbals. This particular one sounds great, as I'm sure you know.

I love the way that PAiSTe seems to regard their higher-end lines, almost as if they've created the ultimate cymbal. It only makes it harder for me to believe that I was actually able to buy this one, and get a great deal on it.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:50 AM
Pioneer Member

My teacher is a paiste endorse so hes got a ton and whenever I go sit in at his jazz gigs I play on the traditionals and man do they sound great. Beautiful cymbal man.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Gold Member

$140? that's a darn steal for that one.. congrats! I play signatures myself and it's tough to beat that Paiste sound =)
Old 11-08-2007, 01:18 AM
Silver Member

Envious of $170 for such a quality cymbal!!
I'm looking at getting the medium light or the medium traditionals ride and in the UK they're around 200 and on cymbalcellar it's a good $300 plus postage.
Such a good buy, hope it does you well.

Tom