DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-03-2007, 06:39 PM
bballdrummer34's Avatar
bballdrummer34 bballdrummer34 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 411
Default Jazz bass drum pedal

I need a new pedal for jazz. I know about a lot of the pedals out there, but are there any specific ones that feel totally natural? I like the feeling when I'm the one playing 16th notes not the pedal you know?
__________________
Praise HIM with LOUD Cymbals
Psalms 150:5
http://www.myspace.com/jaysawyer
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Class A Drummer's Avatar
Class A Drummer Class A Drummer is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,218
Default Re: Jazz bas drum pedal

I would say Iron cobras and possibly the Flying Dragon.
__________________
"If they tell you no pain no gain... shoot them." -Jim Chapin
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-03-2007, 06:43 PM
bballdrummer34's Avatar
bballdrummer34 bballdrummer34 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 411
Default Re: Jazz bas drum pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
I would say Iron cobras and possibly the Flying Dragon.
Flying Dragon sounds like a good investment
__________________
Praise HIM with LOUD Cymbals
Psalms 150:5
http://www.myspace.com/jaysawyer
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Joe P Joe P is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Posts: 440
Default Re: Jazz bas drum pedal

Also you could try out the Vater Vintage Bomber bass drum beater, it's really cool and has a nice feel for jazz.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Class A Drummer's Avatar
Class A Drummer Class A Drummer is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,218
Default Re: Jazz bas drum pedal

Forgot, possibly a speed king?
__________________
"If they tell you no pain no gain... shoot them." -Jim Chapin
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Steamer's Avatar
Steamer Steamer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,755
Default Re: Jazz bas drum pedal

Interesting you should bring this up because out of curiousity been looking to see what's best suited for the type of feel I like from a bass drum pedal in a jazz setting out of what's currently available on the market.

I personnaly like the old Gretsch floating action pedal or the Camco version of it the best. Have one i'll never sell. You have to go the used route to find one now.

Going to check out a promising candidate today a Yamaha FP-7210 model single chain drive pedal. Lightweight and very well built and smooth. Let you know what I think.
__________________
Stan

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Michael G's Avatar
Michael G Michael G is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunbury, PA
Posts: 956
Default Re: Jazz bas drum pedal

I love it

Jazz isn't for drummers to play anymore.


ITS JUST A LIST OF REQUIREMENTS!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Steamer's Avatar
Steamer Steamer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,755
Default Re: Jazz bas drum pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post

Going to check out a promising candidate today a Yamaha FP-7210 model single chain drive pedal. Lightweight and very well built and smooth. Let you know what I think.

I picked up the Yamaha FP-7210 pedal. Very nice lightweight pedal. I've always liked simple in design yet well built and light in weight bass drum pedals in a jazz setting. One thing I like about this Yamaha pedal not seen on the older discontinued models I have is the locking spurs on the pedal. Nice touch on wood floors and such like on the trio gig i'm doing this weekend. Get to try it out with my custom made 16" bass drum tonight and let you know what I think bballdrummer34.
__________________
Stan

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-03-2007, 08:27 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,110
Default Re: Jazz bas drum pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballdrummer34 View Post
I like the feeling when I'm the one playing 16th notes not the pedal you know?
Certainly some pedals might look like speed metal is their forte, but it's up to the drummer to make them all work. No pedal in and of itself is going to make anything happen attached to the hoop of a kick drum. So get your feet on as many pedals as you can. Only you can figure out what's best "for you". I've played all the usual suspects, and the Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive got my money.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Geoff Tipps's Avatar
Geoff Tipps Geoff Tipps is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 100
Default Re: Jazz bas drum pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Interesting you should bring this up because out of curiousity been looking to see what's best suited for the type of feel I like from a bass drum pedal in a jazz setting out of what's currently available on the market.

I personnaly like the old Gretsch floating action pedal or the Camco version of it the best. Have one i'll never sell. You have to go the used route to find one now.

Going to check out a promising candidate today a Yamaha FP-7210 model single chain drive pedal. Lightweight and very well built and smooth. Let you know what I think.
I've just got a Tama pedal from the 80's that has the same cam shape as the gretsch floating action pedal.The used route can be a real goldmine , I got mine on ebay for $8.50. I've seen those gretsch pedals there as well as the Camco pedals.
__________________
i heart unicorns ex oh ex oh.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Steamer's Avatar
Steamer Steamer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,755
Default Re: Jazz bas drum pedal

Won't need to wait till tonight to give my assessment of the Yamaha FP7210 bass drum pedal since I tried it out with the home studio kit. Set the beater angle and spring tension to match up with my 35 year old Gretsch floating action bass drum pedal and it's right on the money feel/reaction wise for this jazz player. Totally smooth and silent and responsive and has the right "feel" i've grown attached to over the years and is around the same light weight as the old classic and dual locking spurs to boot.

Very impressed and great quality of product Yamaha!.
__________________
Stan

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-03-2007, 11:16 PM
bballdrummer34's Avatar
bballdrummer34 bballdrummer34 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 411
Default Re: Jazz bas drum pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Won't need to wait till tonight to give my assessment of the Yamaha FP7210 bass drum pedal since I tried it out with the home studio kit. Set the beater angle and spring tension to match up with my 35 year old Gretsch floating action bass drum pedal and it's right on the money feel/reaction wise for this jazz player. Totally smooth and silent and responsive and has the right "feel" i've grown attached to over the years and is around the same light weight as the old classic and dual locking spurs to boot.

Very impressed and great quality of product Yamaha!.
I'm gonna check that out.
__________________
Praise HIM with LOUD Cymbals
Psalms 150:5
http://www.myspace.com/jaysawyer
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-03-2007, 11:18 PM
bballdrummer34's Avatar
bballdrummer34 bballdrummer34 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 411
Default Re: Jazz bas drum pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Certainly some pedals might look like speed metal is their forte, but it's up to the drummer to make them all work. No pedal in and of itself is going to make anything happen attached to the hoop of a kick drum. So get your feet on as many pedals as you can. Only you can figure out what's best "for you". I've played all the usual suspects, and the Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive got my money.
I know what you mean but like when I use the DW pedals I feel like i'm not doing the work. I get joy out of doing the work. That's what I meant. Flying dragon you like though?
__________________
Praise HIM with LOUD Cymbals
Psalms 150:5
http://www.myspace.com/jaysawyer
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-03-2007, 11:24 PM
bballdrummer34's Avatar
bballdrummer34 bballdrummer34 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 411
Default Re: Jazz bas drum pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Won't need to wait till tonight to give my assessment of the Yamaha FP7210 bass drum pedal since I tried it out with the home studio kit. Set the beater angle and spring tension to match up with my 35 year old Gretsch floating action bass drum pedal and it's right on the money feel/reaction wise for this jazz player. Totally smooth and silent and responsive and has the right "feel" i've grown attached to over the years and is around the same light weight as the old classic and dual locking spurs to boot.

Very impressed and great quality of product Yamaha!.
Ahh, I know what you're talking about. But, that reminds me of this pearl I have right now that crapped out on my last night. I was very unhappy. In other words, cheap. I'm lookings to spend the money on this one. I thought those would appeal to me, but they also don't have the adjustment options you know?
__________________
Praise HIM with LOUD Cymbals
Psalms 150:5
http://www.myspace.com/jaysawyer
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-03-2007, 11:26 PM
bballdrummer34's Avatar
bballdrummer34 bballdrummer34 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 411
Default Re: Jazz bas drum pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
I love it

Jazz isn't for drummers to play anymore.


ITS JUST A LIST OF REQUIREMENTS!!
What do you mean? I would like to be comfortable on my drumset. I wouldn't just use it for jazz but anything. I specified because I figured people would know what I was looking for, a smooth quiet pedal.
__________________
Praise HIM with LOUD Cymbals
Psalms 150:5
http://www.myspace.com/jaysawyer
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Steamer's Avatar
Steamer Steamer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,755
Default Re: Jazz bas drum pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballdrummer34 View Post
Ahh, I know what you're talking about. But, that reminds me of this pearl I have right now that crapped out on my last night. I was very unhappy. In other words, cheap. I'm lookings to spend the money on this one. I thought those would appeal to me, but they also don't have the adjustment options you know?

I did alot of research on quality combined with simplicity and the Yamaha was the top dog for what I was after based on design and componants/quality of product. Others I checked out which will remain nameless were not up to the quality of the Yamaha pedal no question IMO. Excellent product at a very good price of $70 combined with a very good level of performance avoiding the usual cheap attributes i've seen in other products around this price point. Yamaha certainly delivered the goods for the bass drum pedal I was after today. Good luck with your own hunt.
__________________
Stan

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-04-2007, 06:34 AM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,110
Default Re: Jazz bas drum pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballdrummer34 View Post
I know what you mean but like when I use the DW pedals I feel like i'm not doing the work. I get joy out of doing the work. That's what I meant. Flying dragon you like though?
I've owned DW 5000 in both the double and single pedal configurations, the single being a DW 5000A3, and the Yamaha FDDD beat out the DW in my month long toe-to-toe challange, so I sold the DW on eBay and bought a second Yamaha. I've always liked direct drive pedals. Having "grown up" with a Speed King, then getting a Ghost and a Tama HP55 King Beat, yeah, the Yamaha hit the nail on the head for me.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Steamer's Avatar
Steamer Steamer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,755
Default Re: Jazz bass drum pedal

Ya i've got to say again how impressed I am with the quality of Yamaha hardware in particular my latest find the FP-7210 bass drum pedal. It was a dream at the gig tonight and the first new pedal i've owned since I can remember when that felt just right that did not require any break in period to get used to. Light,smooth,responsive and built with a level of quality and craftmanship well past it's price point I paid IMO. Very impressed!.

And oh ya the dual spurs made my 16" bass drum feel like it was rock on the stage. Solid and no movement period.
__________________
Stan

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-05-2007, 12:22 AM
bballdrummer34's Avatar
bballdrummer34 bballdrummer34 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 411
Default Re: Jazz bass drum pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Ya i've got to say again how impressed I am with the quality of Yamaha hardware in particular my latest find the FP-7210 bass drum pedal. It was a dream at the gig tonight and the first new pedal i've owned since I can remember when that felt just right that did not require any break in period to get used to. Light,smooth,responsive and built with a level of quality and craftmanship well past it's price point I paid IMO. Very impressed!.

And oh ya the dual spurs made my 16" bass drum feel like it was rock on the stage. Solid and no movement period.
Yea my yamaha treated me well last night. I think I have the model before that one.
__________________
Praise HIM with LOUD Cymbals
Psalms 150:5
http://www.myspace.com/jaysawyer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com