DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-03-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Jazz bass drum pedal

I need a new pedal for jazz. I know about a lot of the pedals out there, but are there any specific ones that feel totally natural? I like the feeling when I'm the one playing 16th notes not the pedal you know?
Old 11-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Jazz bas drum pedal

I would say Iron cobras and possibly the Flying Dragon.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
I would say Iron cobras and possibly the Flying Dragon.
Flying Dragon sounds like a good investment
Old 11-03-2007, 06:50 PM

Also you could try out the Vater Vintage Bomber bass drum beater, it's really cool and has a nice feel for jazz.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Pioneer Member

Forgot, possibly a speed king?
Old 11-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting you should bring this up because out of curiousity been looking to see what's best suited for the type of feel I like from a bass drum pedal in a jazz setting out of what's currently available on the market.

I personnaly like the old Gretsch floating action pedal or the Camco version of it the best. Have one i'll never sell. You have to go the used route to find one now.

Going to check out a promising candidate today a Yamaha FP-7210 model single chain drive pedal. Lightweight and very well built and smooth. Let you know what I think.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

I love it

Jazz isn't for drummers to play anymore.

ITS JUST A LIST OF REQUIREMENTS!!
Old 11-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post

Going to check out a promising candidate today a Yamaha FP-7210 model single chain drive pedal. Lightweight and very well built and smooth. Let you know what I think.

I picked up the Yamaha FP-7210 pedal. Very nice lightweight pedal. I've always liked simple in design yet well built and light in weight bass drum pedals in a jazz setting. One thing I like about this Yamaha pedal not seen on the older discontinued models I have is the locking spurs on the pedal. Nice touch on wood floors and such like on the trio gig i'm doing this weekend. Get to try it out with my custom made 16" bass drum tonight and let you know what I think bballdrummer34.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballdrummer34 View Post
I like the feeling when I'm the one playing 16th notes not the pedal you know?
Certainly some pedals might look like speed metal is their forte, but it's up to the drummer to make them all work. No pedal in and of itself is going to make anything happen attached to the hoop of a kick drum. So get your feet on as many pedals as you can. Only you can figure out what's best "for you". I've played all the usual suspects, and the Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive got my money.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Interesting you should bring this up because out of curiousity been looking to see what's best suited for the type of feel I like from a bass drum pedal in a jazz setting out of what's currently available on the market.

I personnaly like the old Gretsch floating action pedal or the Camco version of it the best. Have one i'll never sell. You have to go the used route to find one now.

I've just got a Tama pedal from the 80's that has the same cam shape as the gretsch floating action pedal.The used route can be a real goldmine , I got mine on ebay for $8.50. I've seen those gretsch pedals there as well as the Camco pedals.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Won't need to wait till tonight to give my assessment of the Yamaha FP7210 bass drum pedal since I tried it out with the home studio kit. Set the beater angle and spring tension to match up with my 35 year old Gretsch floating action bass drum pedal and it's right on the money feel/reaction wise for this jazz player. Totally smooth and silent and responsive and has the right "feel" i've grown attached to over the years and is around the same light weight as the old classic and dual locking spurs to boot.

Very impressed and great quality of product Yamaha!.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-03-2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Won't need to wait till tonight to give my assessment of the Yamaha FP7210 bass drum pedal since I tried it out with the home studio kit. Set the beater angle and spring tension to match up with my 35 year old Gretsch floating action bass drum pedal and it's right on the money feel/reaction wise for this jazz player. Totally smooth and silent and responsive and has the right "feel" i've grown attached to over the years and is around the same light weight as the old classic and dual locking spurs to boot.

I'm gonna check that out.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Certainly some pedals might look like speed metal is their forte, but it's up to the drummer to make them all work. No pedal in and of itself is going to make anything happen attached to the hoop of a kick drum. So get your feet on as many pedals as you can. Only you can figure out what's best "for you". I've played all the usual suspects, and the Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive got my money.
I know what you mean but like when I use the DW pedals I feel like i'm not doing the work. I get joy out of doing the work. That's what I meant. Flying dragon you like though?
Old 11-03-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:

Ahh, I know what you're talking about. But, that reminds me of this pearl I have right now that crapped out on my last night. I was very unhappy. In other words, cheap. I'm lookings to spend the money on this one. I thought those would appeal to me, but they also don't have the adjustment options you know?
Old 11-03-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
I love it

Jazz isn't for drummers to play anymore.

ITS JUST A LIST OF REQUIREMENTS!!
What do you mean? I would like to be comfortable on my drumset. I wouldn't just use it for jazz but anything. I specified because I figured people would know what I was looking for, a smooth quiet pedal.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ahh, I know what you're talking about. But, that reminds me of this pearl I have right now that crapped out on my last night. I was very unhappy. In other words, cheap. I'm lookings to spend the money on this one. I thought those would appeal to me, but they also don't have the adjustment options you know?

I did alot of research on quality combined with simplicity and the Yamaha was the top dog for what I was after based on design and componants/quality of product. Others I checked out which will remain nameless were not up to the quality of the Yamaha pedal no question IMO. Excellent product at a very good price of $70 combined with a very good level of performance avoiding the usual cheap attributes i've seen in other products around this price point. Yamaha certainly delivered the goods for the bass drum pedal I was after today. Good luck with your own hunt.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I know what you mean but like when I use the DW pedals I feel like i'm not doing the work. I get joy out of doing the work. That's what I meant. Flying dragon you like though?
I've owned DW 5000 in both the double and single pedal configurations, the single being a DW 5000A3, and the Yamaha FDDD beat out the DW in my month long toe-to-toe challange, so I sold the DW on eBay and bought a second Yamaha. I've always liked direct drive pedals. Having "grown up" with a Speed King, then getting a Ghost and a Tama HP55 King Beat, yeah, the Yamaha hit the nail on the head for me.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Jazz bass drum pedal

Ya i've got to say again how impressed I am with the quality of Yamaha hardware in particular my latest find the FP-7210 bass drum pedal. It was a dream at the gig tonight and the first new pedal i've owned since I can remember when that felt just right that did not require any break in period to get used to. Light,smooth,responsive and built with a level of quality and craftmanship well past it's price point I paid IMO. Very impressed!.

And oh ya the dual spurs made my 16" bass drum feel like it was rock on the stage. Solid and no movement period.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-05-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Jazz bass drum pedal

Quote:
Ya i've got to say again how impressed I am with the quality of Yamaha hardware in particular my latest find the FP-7210 bass drum pedal. It was a dream at the gig tonight and the first new pedal i've owned since I can remember when that felt just right that did not require any break in period to get used to. Light,smooth,responsive and built with a level of quality and craftmanship well past it's price point I paid IMO. Very impressed!.

And oh ya the dual spurs made my 16" bass drum feel like it was rock on the stage. Solid and no movement period.
Yea my yamaha treated me well last night. I think I have the model before that one.