DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 05-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member

Default Quick Snare Advice?

I was just testing out some snares today and found myself in a bit of a pickle. I recently thought I was going to get a 6.5x14 Ludwig hammered bronze, but I think that option is falling through. Ideally, I'm trying to find a nice dry, articulate snare for jazz work and general playing.

I was playing around on a few today and wouldn't mind some feedback from everyone:

1. GMS Freddie Holliday Signature snare: aluminum shell, 5.5x14, nice sound and look, but overpriced ($765).

2. Sonor Delite Brass, 5x14: nice sound, excellent hoops and holds its tuning very well, but I do have a Tama Stewart Copeland Signature snare, which is 5x14 chrome over brass, and I'm afraid that the Sonor, though great quality, would be redundant. (Some advice I got from a drumming friend who plays in the local scene here was: "Shelve the Tama Copeland as a nice keepsake and USE the Sonor!")

3. Sonor Delite Maple, 4.25x14: pretty good sounding snare, used by JoJo Mayer at a recent clinic. I'm told that Sonor Delite snare quality is amazing: excellent tuning, clean sound, etc. Like the GMS, though, bit pricey: over $650.

4. Yamaha David Garibaldi Signature snare, 3.5x14, brass: great sound, die-cast hoops, excellent crispness, and also could fit a Stanton Moore style fatness if tuned low (Stanton uses a 4x14 Dunnett, so shell size is similar). More affordable than the GMS and Sonors.

5. Pearl Masterworks snare, 5.5x14, with tube lugs/die-cast hoops: I would do either 2 inner plies African mahogany and 4 outer plies maple OR 4 inner mahogany and 2 outer maple. Would cost $500.

6. GMS Acrylic 5.5x14: Surprisingly good sounding drum, which I think I could use in several contexts. Only problem is, again, GMS is too pricey: $500. Pork Pie acrylic snares are under $300, comparatively.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 05-15-2008, 04:10 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Quick Snare Advice?

Some of those are pretty pricey indeed Robert. Other than my 3 that i'm very happy with myself for acoustic jazz I played an excellent snare drum with a supplied kit at a Big Band reh. last Sunday and I really dug the sound of. It was a 5 1/2"x14" Taye maple shell natural maple finish drum. Really great sound for jazz playing and I would guess much cheaper than some you recently checked out. Could have been an older drum from the Ray Ayotte period that i'm sure still show up on the used market off and on without the need to sell a kidney...

Just some thoughts on the subject...

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 05-15-2008, 05:46 AM
Platinum Member

Stan,

You're right--I know they're all awful pricey, save the Pork Pie acrylic stuff. The only thing is offset the cost is the knowledge that this snare should last a lifetime--or at least a long time.

I'm looking into some more affordable options. I've been considering Pearl Free Floating snares (brass or maple) for a while, and most of those are just under $300. And I've heard usually nothing but good things about them.

The snares that really disappoint me are the GMS for some reason. I like a lot of things about them, but I've noticed what I consider some small flaws here and there in their finished product. Overall, I think it is outrageous that they charge typically over $500 for most of their snares. Pork Pies and Spauns are just as good, yet are a bit more affordable. That Freddie Holliday snare, for example, is $765, but you can get Black Beauties, Tamas, etc., that are just as good but for far much less.

How much are the Peace Bubinga snares? I'm in the US and cannot seem to find dealers that sell them. What are your three that you use for jazz? I'd love to hear your recommendations.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
Stan,

You're right--I know they're all awful pricey, save the Pork Pie acrylic stuff. The only thing is offset the cost is the knowledge that this snare should last a lifetime--or at least a long time.

I'm looking into some more affordable options. I've been considering Pearl Free Floating snares (brass or maple) for a while, and most of those are just under $300. And I've heard usually nothing but good things about them.

The snares that really disappoint me are the GMS for some reason. I like a lot of things about them, but I've noticed what I consider some small flaws here and there in their finished product. Overall, I think it is outrageous that they charge typically over $500 for most of their snares. Pork Pies and Spauns are just as good, yet are a bit more affordable. That Freddie Holliday snare, for example, is $765, but you can get Black Beauties, Tamas, etc., that are just as good but for far much less.

How much are the Peace Bubinga snares? I'm in the US and cannot seem to find dealers that sell them. What are your three that you use for jazz? I'd love to hear your recommendations.

The 3 that I use Robert are:

- Peace Kahuna 9 ply bubinga 5 1/2"x14 Nut Brown finish snare drum
- Canwood early 80's natural maple finish Canadian rock maple 7"x14" snare drum
- Custom maple shell drum made by and used for recordings and concerts and sold to me personally by Canadian jazz drum legend Claude Ranger. Cut down 13" Camco maple tom shell to 5 1/2" featuring all chrome over brass Gretsch 1958 hardware including the strainer and snare butt, die cast hoops etc.... All custom work on this drum including the bearing edges and staining'laquering done by Claude in his wood working days in the early 90's. My treasured snare to always remember the brilliance that was Claude on drums.

Not sure the price/availability of the Peace Kahuna 5 1/2"x14" bubinga snare at present but it is a standard item with the larger Peace Kahuna bubinga kits which are more readily available than my custom smaller jazz sizes. Just have to check around on that. Amazing sounding snare drum in person IMO!

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 05-15-2008, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member

Wow, that Claude snare sounds not only amazing but inspiring. A real work of art: something that sounds good and also carries with it personal history and artistry. Very nice.

I like the description of your Canwood. I'm actually getting, as a gift from a friend, a custom Pork Pie 7x14 maple snare, so I'm looking forward to using and experimenting with this snare. But that won't happen for a while--long lead times for building at PP these days.

Your discussion of the bubinga snare makes me want to grab a Tama SC Bubinga snare and try it out in my playing--that's the closest I could find locally.

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
Wow, that Claude snare sounds not only amazing but inspiring. A real work of art: something that sounds good and also carries with it personal history and artistry. Very nice.

I like the description of your Canwood. I'm actually getting, as a gift from a friend, a custom Pork Pie 7x14 maple snare, so I'm looking forward to using and experimenting with this snare. But that won't happen for a while--long lead times for building at PP these days.

Your discussion of the bubinga snare makes me want to grab a Tama SC Bubinga snare and try it out in my playing--that's the closest I could find locally.

Thanks!

The Claude drum is my biggest reasure indeed Robert. He also refinished/laquered and put new bearing edges my old Africa teak French made Orange jazz size drums from the late 60's early 70's {?} i've had for some 30 odd years. He also made me a 16" bass drum out of Indonesian mahogany, even steam bent the maple hoops for it himself. I've used this for travelling on small planes for out of town concerts. Sounds great!

Just keep checking around and see what "treasures " might come your way Robert and maybe at a "bargain" price. The Canwood is yes indeed a real trip too and sounds fantastic in a jazz setting for a 7" deep 14" maple shell snare drum.

Good luck!

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 05-15-2008, 06:58 AM
Steamer
This message has been deleted by Steamer.