DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-18-2006, 07:38 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by the skin man
I'm not saying he doesn't do stuff that other rock drummers don't do, because obviously he does far more than the average rock drummer and obviously he is creative in a way that makes a lot of musical sense. But I think Dave Weckl is a far better rock drummer than Neil Peart from what I've seen. If we could go back in time and stick Dave Weckl in Rush would the drumming have been as good? Who knows? But that's a very hypothetical question.
I didn't know that Dave Weckl was a rock drummer.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 10-18-2006, 08:31 AM
Pioneer Member

WHY PAY 30,000!! Man if I had that money, I'd buy 3 kits (Yamaha Maple Custom, Yamaha Birch Custom, Yamaha Beech Custom :D) and buy a shite load of cymbals. WOAH WAIT A MINUTE! I just saw that he's throwin in a free pair of sticks....that's a damn good deal...gimme a break!
Old 10-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Pioneer Member

Its a collectors edition....these things sell for that much. Its all about status, people will want to be part of it

As mentioned only 30 will be made and I guess not many of them will actually be played. That is a travesty in my eyes. If you pay that amount for a kit then you should at least get some pleasure out of it. Its not as if its going to seriously de-value the kit if you play it.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:16 PM
dib da drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer
WHY PAY 30,000!! Man if I had that money, I'd buy 3 kits (Yamaha Maple Custom, Yamaha Birch Custom, Yamaha Beech Custom :D) and buy a shite load of cymbals. WOAH WAIT A MINUTE! I just saw that he's throwin in a free pair of sticks....that's a damn good deal...gimme a break!
Yea, but there's only gonna be 30 of these kits in the world. Anybody can buy those Yamahas! Not so with these comemmorative DW's! Oh, I take it that you are a Yamaha
fan, huh? I personally prefer drums that are manufactured by the companies who "exclusively" make drums and drum accessories. DW, Tama, Ludwig, Pearl, to name a few. Yamaha makes ALL kinds of equipment. ie...stereos, speakers, keyboards, and other "non" percussive stuff. Not saying that Yamahas' line of percussion is "bad", I just
prefer the companies that concentrate "just" on drums, drum accessories and percussion equipment. Peace!
Old 10-19-2006, 12:08 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

So what's wrong with Yamaha drums again?
Old 10-19-2006, 01:41 AM

well, dib da, after you buy that 30g set,come back with a product review for us,will ya?all i can tell you is DW makes great drums, i've played a gretsch set i really liked at a drum store, but ended up buying a brand new 1993 yamaha maple custom,6 piece set, (which i still have after unloading my pearl set) and all i can say after playing many different venues with different musicians is, they've commented numerous times how good those drums sound. i love em'! and i got em' on sale for $2800 (minus cymbals.)
Old 10-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Senior Administrator

and with that let us remember -
  • that many posts were deleted from this thread because guys were bashing neil.
  • that neil is a great guy
  • that he may read this thread
  • that he is an incredible drummer and is quite capable of pulling some surprises out of his hat if he ever felt the need to prove himself - which he does not.
let's then celebrate him rather than compare him to other drummers in an unflattering or unfavourable way.

NO MORE BASHING NEIL PLEASE.

J

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 10-21-2006, 12:36 AM

[quote=mikeybbdrummin]Does anyone want to guess what the Rush/DW 30th anniversary commerative drum kit is going to be priced at? There is going to be only 30. Full acoustic kit and cymbals. I will guess first at $25,000.00. Next guess?[/QUO
neils drum tech told me$ 80,000 for the hole kit
Old 10-21-2006, 12:37 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Ah you went to the Neil Peart kit tour. That includes things like the cymbals and the electronics set up, adding a significant amount to the value. The actual shells and hardware are worth the $30,000.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:35 PM

I just want to add that "Test For Echo" is my favorite Rush song, because of Neil's playing in it. Lot's of great stuff in that song.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

If I had a couple of hundred G's lyin' around, i'd definately drop 30k on a NP 1 of 30 commerative kit!! that would be like , let say, in the sixty's you had bought a Buddy Rich - 1 of 30 duplicate kit. and still had it today, I'm sure it would be worth twice what you pay'd for it then.thats like the kit Tama made for MikePortnoy, for The cygnus & the seamonster show. I'm sure some one, somewhere would pay twice what thats worth. I know I would.And further more, who's to say that NP kit, with that custom finish, & brass hardware is'nt worth 30G's.DW thinks it is!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:09 PM

I think that kit actually has gold plated hardware. He used to do brass, but for the 30th anniversary kit they plated the hardware in gold. I'm assuming the 30 commemorative kits will also be gold plated. If so, I wonder just how much gold plated hardware contributes to the $30k price tag.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:27 AM
Silver Member

as of today @ noon, there's 19 kits sold, 11 left.get'em while there're hot! oh yeah, comes with cymbals.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:51 AM
Synthetik

I found a site www.kirschdrums.com that says he has had a lot of requests for that red tama artstar kit that Neil played. They say they have pretty much duplicated the color. So, getting a clone of the TAMA would likely cost around $3500. (minus gong drum)

I have a feeling many non-drummers (collectors) bought the anniversary kit as an investment.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:04 PM
fusssion

Only 2 reasons to purchase this kit:

1) Investment
2) Rush cover band (with A TON of money floating around!)
Old 11-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetik
I found a site www.kirschdrums.com that says he has had a lot of requests for that red tama artstar kit that Neil played. They say they have pretty much duplicated the color. So, getting a clone of the TAMA would likely cost around $3500. (minus gong drum)

I have a feeling many non-drummers (collectors) bought the anniversary kit as an investment.
Not to nitpick, but Neil played a Tama Superstar during the early 80's, before he switched to Ludwig... then DW. In 1980, the Superstar was the top-end kit and there was no Artstar yet.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:13 PM

Yah Of course! A drummer of that age and experiance is sure to have played every drum kit available. Being sponsered must be nice though. I have the yamaha maple custom, and thats an amazing kit in my standards. Plus its only 2-5 grand. With the money you save, you can buy tickets to see Rush in their next tour!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Ballard
Not to nitpick, but Neil played a Tama Superstar during the early 80's, before he switched to Ludwig... then DW. In 1980, the Superstar was the top-end kit and there was no Artstar yet.
He did briefly played (or at least advertised playing) an Artstar, at the end of his relationship with Tama.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle
He did briefly played (or at least advertised playing) an Artstar, at the end of his relationship with Tama.
Hmmm, I never saw nor heard of such an add. I'd like to see it.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Ballard
Hmmm, I never saw nor heard of such an add. I'd like to see it.
seeing is believing.

http://www.rusharchives.com/gear/neil.shtml

It is the picture on the lake. Used to have it on my wall.

Quite a few other links through google....
Old 11-07-2006, 12:30 AM
Silver Member

I will have to admit that i also thought that red tama kit from the "signals" tour ( that I seen from the 3rd row) was a superstar kit, as in my avatar, but i stand corrected.To me, Artstar kit allways had those lugs that connected. Maybe it just had Artstar shells with superstar lugs? In 1986, i bought a tama superster mahogony kit, the actual "Neil Peart" model. when the kit showed up, for some reason the 15" bass mnt tom came as a floor tom, and i never did anything about it.Then like an Idiot, I sold one of the bass drums cuz I needed the money. then in 1990 i sold the whole kit to friend so i could buy my now wife, a engagement ring ( what a dumb puss ) anyway the good news is, the set still sits in his basement office, untouched 17 yrs later.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:31 AM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebandit
I will have to admit that i also thought that red tama kit from the "signals" tour ( that I seen from the 3rd row) was a superstar kit, as in my avatar, but i stand corrected.To me, Artstar kit allways had those lugs that connected. Maybe it just had Artstar shells with superstar lugs? In 1986, i bought a tama superster mahogony kit, the actual "Neil Peart" model. when the kit showed up, for some reason the 15" bass mnt tom came as a floor tom, and i never did anything about it.Then like an Idiot, I sold one of the bass drums cuz I needed the money. then in 1990 i sold the whole kit to friend so i could buy my now wife, a engagement ring ( what a dumb puss ) anyway the good news is, the set still sits in his basement office, untouched 17 yrs later.
Wow! Great story timebandit. You're not a puss, man! You just found love(besides the drums), that's all! Nothin' wrong with that! But hearing about that set is cool! Is there any way that you can get the set back? Now THAT would be really cool! Thanks....Play on!
Old 11-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Silver Member

Well, like I said the kit still sits in my friends basement office.He did recently ask me if i wanted it back for the same amount I sold it to him for. $2000. I geuss for sentimental purposes it would be nice to have back. I only had the set for 4 yrs, he's had it for 17. & for 2-g's, I can get ahelluva kit, so for my money I think I'd go new. Besides, I told him if he ever had any seriuos offers to call me befor he sells it.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:10 AM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebandit
Well, like I said the kit still sits in my friends basement office.He did recently ask me if i wanted it back for the same amount I sold it to him for. $2000. I geuss for sentimental purposes it would be nice to have back. I only had the set for 4 yrs, he's had it for 17. & for 2-g's, I can get ahelluva kit, so for my money I think I'd go new. Besides, I told him if he ever had any seriuos offers to call me befor he sells it.
Wow, timebandit. I can understand goin' new, but I agree, that same price you sold it to him for is really fair. For the sentimental purpose alone, to me, is definitely worth it. Great kit there, man! Thanks for posting this! Cool...Play On!
Old 11-18-2006, 08:17 PM
michael drums

Hey Y'all. Anyone got the new DW R30 commemorative drumkit, yet? Or know of anyone who has? I'd love to hear how the kit is! May be too early to ask, but I'm really curious about this kit, and how it sounds. That is, of course, if anyone would play it that much to really get an accurate account of the sound quality. I guess someone will buy it to play it, but I would have one just to say I had one. Wouldn't wanna scratch it or damage it, IN ANY WAY. It's certaintly a collecters' item, to say the least. Thanks and Play On! ;-)
Old 11-21-2006, 06:00 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle View Post

That red kit was an Artstar prototype...........indeed, this is correct
Old 11-23-2006, 07:13 AM
michael drums

Hello! Anyone out there have a DW R30 commemerative kit? I posted 5 days ago to get a review of one, but have YET to get a response on this. Anybody care to chime in on this, please feel free. It's funny, there was SO MUCH talk and anticipation about this kit before it was available on October 30th. But there seems to be NO interest about it now. Maybe it's me making too much of it. Oh well. Thanks! Peace....Play On!
Old 11-23-2006, 11:11 PM
Guinness

That is an absolutely beautiful kit. If I was a millionare I would have been on the waiting list already. One heck of an investment as well.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:07 AM

maybe no one but neil here can afford to buy a kit...
Old 11-24-2006, 05:33 AM
Synthetik

The official R30 tour "death toll" from page 393 of "Roadshow" by Neil Peart:

257 pairs of drumsticks

one 20" cymbal

three 18" cymbals

six 16" cymbals

two china cymbals

fifteen drumheads
Old 11-24-2006, 07:13 AM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
That is an absolutely beautiful kit. If I was a millionare I would have been on the waiting list already. One heck of an investment as well.
Beautiful it is! Does it sound like it looks, though? That's what I'm tryin' to find out, if there's anyone out there who's got one. Or has, at least, played one. Maybe it's not to be played. I sure would be VERY hesitant to lay a lick on it. It may depreciate in value if it's played, huh? I don't quite have the fortune of those that wouldn't care either way. 30 grand's a pretty penny where I'm from. I'd stick with my Tama set to play, and keep this one in protective custody! Thanks Guinness and Play On!
Old 11-30-2006, 06:33 PM
michael drums

Does anybody know why no one has posted a review on the DW R30 comemmerative kit here on this NP thread yet? Is it "no-big-deal" about how this kit looks and sounds in real life? Is there no DrummerWorld member that has any knowledge of this kit from a personal perspective? Or am I just making WAY too much of this? Please, someone say something about the kit, ie...How does it look, sound, set up? Was it difficult trying to buy? Did Guitar Center perform good service in the purchase of it? Etc... I would appreciate ANY information about this new kit. Thanks...Play On! ;-)
Old 11-30-2006, 06:52 PM
fusssion

I don't know...but...

THis is supposed to be an exact replica....I highly doubt is. If I understand it right, Neil has VLT shells, does this? Plus, recently just got a GC Catalogue and the kit was the last thing on the back page and the logos on the toms doen't look right, and the "man in the star" is reversed from the Rush logo.......so.......
Old 12-01-2006, 07:18 PM
IDDrummer

Take a look at this fellow's pictures of one of the actual kits. You can see that they are VLT and the logos look correct to me. I haven't seen the GT catalogue, but it looks to me like the kits are as true a replica as you could get.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=20736
Old 12-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

Has anyone purchased the new Rush Replay X3 DVD?

Three concerts from long ago.

Neil is a great, great drummer. Being a somewhat new drummer, I didn't really pay attention to him in the past.

I really believe that back in the 80s and early 90s he played fantastic. Noticably better than now. He also showed more emotion behind the kit back then.

Portnoy is the new Peart. However, I believe that he lacks some of the technical skills that Peart has. Peart is neater and cleaner. However, I feel Portnoy has a bit more feel or groove. And I am not bashing Portnoy. I really enjoy his playing as well.

Either way, I highly recommend the new DVD set. Great stuff.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
Has anyone purchased the new Rush Replay X3 DVD?

Three concerts from long ago.

Neil is a great, great drummer. Being a somewhat new drummer, I didn't really pay attention to him in the past.

I really believe that back in the 80s and early 90s he played fantastic. Noticably better than now. He also showed more emotion behind the kit back then.

Portnoy is the new Peart. However, I believe that he lacks some of the technical skills that Peart has. Peart is neater and cleaner. However, I feel Portnoy has a bit more feel or groove. And I am not bashing Portnoy. I really enjoy his playing as well.

Either way, I highly recommend the new DVD set. Great stuff.
I have it. Its not bad for what it is. I had R30 and I have Rush in Rio. Rush in Rio is my favorite of all of them. You have to keep in find that Rush in Rio was I think in 2003 when Neil was 51 years old, compared to the early stuff being in his mid to late twenties. He started in Rush in 1975 at 23 years old. My guess is that after 30 years its hard to stay at the same physical level decade, after decade after decade.
Portnoy is not "New" though. He is great at what he does. He has odd times mastered. And when he plays he seems to do everything so effortlessly.

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Old 12-31-2006, 12:27 AM

Neil is one of the guys who got me wanting to start in the first place. he is amazing.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:08 PM

IMO, Neil Peart is the greatest drummer of all time, both on a technical level, as well as a creative level.

Also, he has influeneced more people than any other drummer in history.

Now, I will say that he has lost some of his "perfection" over the years, and his creativity is starting to dwindle. I honestly think hes more into the writing of books, and motorcycling than Rush itself. Hell, after 30+ years somethings gotta give.

Now, lets take the drummers that the "kids" all love today, such as Travis Barker, Chris Adler Etc. When they reach the age of Neil Peart "55", I wonder how good they will be?? Because at 55, Neil Peart can still kick ass, and has forgotten more than the Barkers and such will ever know.

Neil is the Proffessor, and is the reason I wanted to become a drummer.

Subdivisions has got to be the best song to play along with, ever!!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:55 AM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Hook View Post
IMO, Neil Peart is the greatest drummer of all time, both on a technical level, as well as a creative level.

Also, he has influeneced more people than any other drummer in history.

Now, I will say that he has lost some of his "perfection" over the years, and his creativity is starting to dwindle. I honestly think hes more into the writing of books, and motorcycling than Rush itself. Hell, after 30+ years somethings gotta give.

Now, lets take the drummers that the "kids" all love today, such as Travis Barker, Chris Adler Etc. When they reach the age of Neil Peart "55", I wonder how good they will be?? Because at 55, Neil Peart can still kick ass, and has forgotten more than the Barkers and such will ever know.

Neil is the Proffessor, and is the reason I wanted to become a drummer.

Subdivisions has got to be the best song to play along with, ever!!!!!!!!
Hey Dr. Hook. How are ya? Wow. I can really appreciate your passion for Neil Peart, as I am also a HUGE fan of his. But let me put it in perspective what you say here. A little more of a realistic take on NP:

1.) No. He's not the "greatest" of all time. Neither technically or creatively. Great as he is, that would certaintly be more describing Buddy Rich.

2.)No. He hasn't influenced more than Buddy or Bonham. Though he definitely has influenced many, many drummers. Me included.

3.)No. He hasn't lost "perfection" over the years. Don't confuse adaption with ability. And his creativity has changed, not lessened. I believe his family comes first, especially after what happened to him about 10 years ago(loss of his daughter and wife in less than a year). And his music is 2nd on his list of importance. It IS his bread and butter, ya know. His drumming and his song writing. As far as "somethings gotta give"... well... He still gives 100% of himself in whatever he is involved in. And soon you'll be seeing him in the movies, also. So stay tuned...

4.)Let's not compare Neil to the drummers of today. Adler and Barker are very accomplished in what they do with their style and ability. They are different in almost every way than NP. And, by the way, not that it's a big deal, but Neil Peart is 54 yrs. old, not 55. He'll turn 55 yrs. old on Sept. 12, 2007.

5.)Yes. Neil Peart has definitely earned the title "The Professor". Perfect name for his ability at drumming and writing.

6.)Yes. Subdivisions is a fantastic song. One of my all-time-favorite Rush songs. But to say it's the best song to play along with ever...well, you may get some to disagree with you on that.

Anyway, it sounds like your a true NP fan, so that would make ME a Dr. Hook fan. Thanks for your post about NP... Play On!

Last edited by michael drums; 01-20-2007 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:19 AM

Neil really inspired me. Along with Ginger Baker, and Bohman.. LOL first time I started to think about playing this instrument was OMG.... Dave Clark LOL

I really like how Neil plays and I really enjoy his teaching. Like the DVD's I have. I alway include some neil in my practice routines.

Mike