DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #161  
Old 06-08-2006, 05:47 PM
jamsjr44's Avatar
jamsjr44 jamsjr44 is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 450
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by the skin man
Drummers like Dennis Chambers, Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Adam Nussbaum, Chad Wackerman and Jack DeJohnette completely and totally blow Neil Peart away. It doesn't matter if they're not rock drummers and he is. Neil Peart has to be one of the most overrated drummers of all time. I'd bet at least one in five drummers that graduates from the Berklee of music every year can do everything that Neil Peart can do including the odd time. The only difference is he's in huge band that's been huge for a long time and they're not.
Very intelligent post on your part and I'm quite sure all of those guys feel the same way, actually they all sit around saying how the blow Neil Peart away! I am a huge RUSH fan anything they have ever done I have it on tape, cd, video or dvd. At one time I thought he was by far the best drummer to ever been born but as I got older and more involved in drumming I realized that yes there were more technically skilled drummers, but I never ever tried to discount what he meant to drummers world wide and to rock musicians in general. Neil's influence is huge and maybe not from a technical standpoint, but he made a lot of guys pick up sticks and want to play and probably made others stop playing. He is probably just as well known as Buddy Rich is, to people who are not musicians. Meaning when people used to say who is the best drummer ever, they would answer "that guy who plays for that band RUSH, who has the lead singer with the irritating voice!"...LOL

And also RUSH is huge for a reason and he is huge part of that, they would not be RUSH with any of the guys you mentioned before him, because they would not have played the songs the way he did. Before you go discredit his playing, a lot of pro drummers became pro's because of his influence. He isn't overrated, he never went to drum magazines begging to be chosen best rock drummer in the years he was. And don't confuse being influential with being the best all it means is, he inspired guys to play and maybe not exactly his style but he made them want to play drums. I know for me personally after I heard Exit Stage Left, it made me take drumming more seriously than I ever had before. I'm not saying his drum solo on YYZ was ever the best solo, but it is by far the most popular.

One more thing any Berklee drummers think that their playing will ever be on 21-24 platinum selling albums, 2 instructional dvd's, at least 4 concert videos, thousands of live shows and be one of the most influential drummers of all time, since you can do anything he can?...LOL.

Also since you say Berklee drummers can do anything he can, the biggest question is CAN YOU DO 50% of what he can??
__________________
"Without the drummer music is just alot of noise!"

Last edited by jamsjr44; 06-08-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 06-08-2006, 08:45 PM
shuffle's Avatar
shuffle shuffle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 409
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard
Fact is, that the Neil Peart Page is the most visited gallery-page at Drummerworld every month for six years now.

Bernhard
I wonder how many monthly hits all those great Berklee graduates have on their web sites
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 06-09-2006, 12:22 AM
the skin man's Avatar
the skin man the skin man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 412
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Neil's influence is huge and maybe not from a technical standpoint, but he made a lot of guys pick up sticks and want to play and probably made others stop playing.
But that's different. How much he inspired other people to play and how well known he is are not the same things as how much ability he has. Those are two different ways of looking at a drummer.


Quote:
And also RUSH is huge for a reason and he is huge part of that, they would not be RUSH with any of the guys you mentioned before him, because they would not have played the songs the way he did.
I'm not saying he doesn't do stuff that other rock drummers don't do, because obviously he does far more than the average rock drummer and obviously he is creative in a way that makes a lot of musical sense. But I think Dave Weckl is a far better rock drummer than Neil Peart from what I've seen. If we could go back in time and stick Dave Weckl in Rush would the drumming have been as good? Who knows? But that's a very hypothetical question.


Quote:
Before you go discredit his playing, a lot of pro drummers became pro's because of his influence. He isn't overrated, he never went to drum magazines begging to be chosen best rock drummer in the years he was.
He is overrated because everyone says he has more ability than everyone else, which is not true. His real claim to fame is his fame itself.


Quote:
One more thing any Berklee drummers think that their playing will ever be on 21-24 platinum selling albums, 2 instructional dvd's, at least 4 concert videos, thousands of live shows and be one of the most influential drummers of all time, since you can do anything he can?...LOL.
That's because he is more well known than them, not because he has more ability. And is it really that many Rush albums? I have a bunch of them, but I don't remember there being quite that many.


Quote:
Also since you say Berklee drummers can do anything he can, the biggest question is CAN YOU DO 50% of what he can?
No, I can't even come close to playing the way Neil Peart does. But I'm being totally honest when I say he is overrated. I've heard so many people say stuff like "Neil Peart is the greatest drummer of all time" and unless they say exactly what they mean by that, I really don't think that's an accurate statement. If anyone were to take an honest look at it, they would have to admit that there are many ways in which other drummers surpass him.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 06-09-2006, 12:28 AM
the skin man's Avatar
the skin man the skin man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 412
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
n00b post of the day award goes to you !
What does n00b mean?
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 06-09-2006, 01:35 AM
DogBreath's Avatar
DogBreath DogBreath is offline
Administrator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,243
Default Re: Neil Peart

Skin Man, you aren't really making any points. Neil Peart is as good as he is, no better and no worse. He is talented and popular. This thread is to talk about him, but you're talking about the fact that you disagree with some people's opinions about him. You think he's "over-rated"? Great, you made your point about your opinion. Move along if you have nothing to add. The purpose of this forum is to talk about drummers, not to just repeat that you don't think one is the best drummer ever. You could go from thread to thread saying that each drummer is over-rated and isn't the best drummer ever. How does that add to any discussion?

By the way, a n00b is someone who is "new" and says silly things that more experienced people wouldn't say.
__________________
.
My kit: Pacific wood, Evans oil, Zildjian bronze
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 06-09-2006, 02:07 AM
the skin man's Avatar
the skin man the skin man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 412
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Skin Man, you aren't really making any points. Neil Peart is as good as he is. You think he's "over-rated"? Great, you made your point about your opinion. Move along if you have nothing to add. The purpose of this forum is to talk about drummers, not to just repeat that you don't think one is the best drummer ever. You could go from thread to thread saying that each drummer is over-rated and isn't the best drummer ever. How does that add to any discussion?
And the other 164 posts on this thread have been made by people making points about their opinions. I think the real lesson here is don't say anything that might annoy the Neil Peart fans because they are very dedicated.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 06-09-2006, 02:21 AM
Class A Drummer's Avatar
Class A Drummer Class A Drummer is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,222
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by the skin man
Drummers like Dennis Chambers, Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Adam Nussbaum, Chad Wackerman and Jack DeJohnette completely and totally blow Neil Peart away. I'd bet at least one in five drummers that graduates from the Berklee of music every year can do everything that Neil Peart can do including the odd time. The only difference is he's in huge band that's been huge for a long time and they're not.
So what if they all blow him away? does that mean peart isnt very good? Drummers such as weckl and wackerman in most peoples eyes are much better than peart, but that doesnt mean they wud be better rock drummers than peart. I consider gadd to be the best in the world, but that does not mean i think he wud do a better job as a rock drummer. he is definitly over rated but not as much as you think.

*Edit- 1400 posts.
__________________
"If they tell you no pain no gain... shoot them." -Jim Chapin

Last edited by Class A Drummer; 06-09-2006 at 03:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 06-09-2006, 06:07 AM
Kernel Panic Kernel Panic is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9
Default Re: Neil Peart

Just like the Krupa's, and Rich's of yesterday influenced and inspired the drummers of today. The Ringo's, Peart's, and Bonham's will do the same for the drummers of tomorrow.

As for Geddy Lee's voice being irratating, I have some Patsy Cline on the turntable so you can fall to pieces. Hmm I think I some have Slim Whitman as well provided it won't cause your head to explode.. :D

But all kidding aside whoever is your favorite drummer or band, it all boils down to a matter of personal taste. I enjoy Rush just as much as the next Rush fan, but on the same note I could as well listen to The Beatles, Moby Grape, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, or The Grateful Dead. I have to admit I'm one of those folks who felt inspired to get serious about playing after viewing the Rush In Rio DVD.
__________________
Roland TD-12SBK V-Stage Expanded

Building the Perfect Beast
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 06-09-2006, 06:24 AM
DogBreath's Avatar
DogBreath DogBreath is offline
Administrator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,243
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by the skin man
And the other 164 posts on this thread have been made by people making points about their opinions. I think the real lesson here is don't say anything that might annoy the Neil Peart fans because they are very dedicated.
No one said that you couldn't state your opinion. Almost everything here is an opinion. Stating an opinion that differs from the majority is fine, as long as it is done in a mature and appropriate fashion and somehow adds to the discussion. Repeatedly calling someone over-rated just gets old quick.

I think the real lesson here is that when a forum administrator offers advice, you might want to consider taking it.
__________________
.
My kit: Pacific wood, Evans oil, Zildjian bronze
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 06-09-2006, 05:34 PM
jamsjr44's Avatar
jamsjr44 jamsjr44 is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 450
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by the skin man
And the other 164 posts on this thread have been made by people making points about their opinions. I think the real lesson here is don't say anything that might annoy the Neil Peart fans because they are very dedicated.
It doesn't annoy me to say that he is over-rated, I was just stating my opinion on why I think he isn't over-rated. But if you make a statement that saying every 1 out of 5 drummers from Berklee or any music school can do what he does, just sounds like you are discrediting his playing and that any drummer can be just as good, just because they went to music school. My ex-lead guitarist graduated from Berklee Music School and he would be the last to tell you, "that one in five of us guitarist that graduated from here, can play like Joe Satrianni" for example. Those words would never come out of his mouth.

There is one other thing you forget that Neil does, he composes songs, writes just about all the bands lyrics, does just about every piece of percussion himself when playing live while keeping outstanding time. I mean some of his drumming may not be as techinically challenging to a more advanced drummer, but to be able to pull it off live managing that many different aspects is incredible. I have seen RUSH perform at least 22 times live and I have never left there saying "Neil just wasn't on tonight!" I leave their shows still saying "after all these years when I thought he couldn't get any better he does." And remember RUSH is just main job he can play different styles of music check out either one of his Burning For Buddy CD's where all the great drummers play with the Buddy RIch Band. In fact all drummers should have both of those CD's in their collection.

It's like Travis Barker I'm not a big fan and thought he was getting too much hype, but I also like to think of myself as an open minded person, so I listened to more blink 182 stuff and came away saying, I'm still not a blink 182 fan, but I respect his playing much more than I did before. I don't know if he will ever be a Weckl or Smith or Couliatta but I also know that he deserves most of the accolades he gets for his playing.
__________________
"Without the drummer music is just alot of noise!"
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 06-10-2006, 12:01 AM
the skin man's Avatar
the skin man the skin man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 412
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
But if you make a statement that saying every 1 out of 5 drummers from Berklee or any music school can do what he does, just sounds like you are discrediting his playing and that any drummer can be just as good, just because they went to music school.
When I say 1 out of 5, that is just a very vague general impression. I'm no expert, and I don't claim to know with any certainty. What I do seem to notice is that jazz drummers routinely do stuff of greater technical virtuosity and these are drummers that aren't even well known among other jazz drummers. I wouldn't be a bit surprized that if some audition were held for a Rush cover band in which the drummer was required to replicate Peart's playing, huge numbers would just nail it cold. And if it were 1 in 5, then 4 times as many wouldn't nail it than would. Maybe one area where people would have a tough time would be the solos. I don't think this URL has been posted on this thread yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfNpA...rch=neil+peart

If it was, my mistake. Obviously, there's a bunch of impressive things happening there and I don't think it makes sense to say that being able to do that is just a basic of requirement of being a trained drummer.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 06-10-2006, 04:28 AM
playplayplay playplayplay is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: St. Catharines,On Canada
Posts: 60
Default Re: Neil Peart

Ok all you Niel basher's stand back... I have the most respect for that man. Niel as I know him. I come from his home town and have breathed the same air and went to the same high school, my own dad claim's to have gone to school as him. So comming from me as I know it he would spend hours upon hours in the garage making what now seems only other peoples opinion but this man is a real drummer, he feel's and breathes the music he play's to and make's few mistakes, a real born to be drummer, when most of us only dream to play as good or equal, this only happens to few people in life and he made drumming much more interesting to everybody. for this alone he deserves not to be judged. Thanks to Niel, Buddy, and all the greats. we all have somthing to strive for but keep in mind drumming is different for every one of us and learn to appreciate the beauty of the art itself, thanks Niel! for all your inspiration. Hope we can all jam one day soon, peace!
__________________
Sleep on drums, when you wake up you dont need to go anywhere!
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 06-12-2006, 09:28 PM
LinearDrummer's Avatar
LinearDrummer LinearDrummer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 930
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg
that's fine if a drummer can cop all of neil's licks in a rush cover band...they have a pattern set out for them. but neil COMPOSED those parts(and most lyrics, other percussion parts,etc.) himself...that's called creativity,my friend.
SO TRU!
How easy it is to forget that mastering someone's licks is good but does one have the technique and creativity to take a blank sheet and compose and master those parts on their own....

For the life of me I NEVER thought I'd see the day where words like sloppy and over-rated would be used to describe Neal's playing...

Goin to all those concerts back in the day and seeing the effect this man had on the audience is undescribable...The Forum would light up and you would see thousands of people air-drumming the licks of Tom Sawyer and YYZ etc...

Of course his licks can be executed - the bar has been raised....but please remember hes one of the reasons the bar has been raised...
__________________
My babies -
Big Yamaha - Baby Roland - Lil Rodgers
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 06-12-2006, 10:17 PM
crdn crdn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4
Default Re: Neil Peart

Rush is one of those bands that you either love or hate because of the high vocals not because of the drummer. I think everyone would agree that Neil Peart is an amazing musician and has inspired tons of newbies into developing their craft. There are very few in the world today that would disagree with that statement I'm sure.

Being a Rush fan for years and after seeing them live several times I continue to stand in awe as I watch and listen. The same way I do when I watch the Buddy Rich videos on this site. I guess what I'm saying is there are many greats why limit ourselves to picking just one?
__________________


Gretsch Catalina's
Sabians
SD9 Drivers
Evans G1 Coated
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 06-14-2006, 09:56 AM
mikeybbdrummin mikeybbdrummin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 403
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by the skin man
Drummers like Dennis Chambers, Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Adam Nussbaum, Chad Wackerman and Jack DeJohnette completely and totally blow Neil Peart away. It doesn't matter if they're not rock drummers and he is. Neil Peart has to be one of the most overrated drummers of all time. I'd bet at least one in five drummers that graduates from the Berklee of music every year can do everything that Neil Peart can do including the odd time. The only difference is he's in huge band that's been huge for a long time and they're not.
In what way are you talking about? Speed? Jazz? There are guys, Grant Collins, Bozzio, Thomas Lang and Bobby Rock to name a few that probably have greater four way independence than most of who you mentioned. What does that mean? Do they blow away everyone you mentioned? No. They are all good at what they do.
Neil is my second favorite drummer after Gregg Bissonette. Some like Gregg and some may not be fans. I think in a Jazz setting Gregg has more experience and would be a better candidate in that situation over Neil but I dont like him any less because of it. Neil may not do it for you, but to say he is overrated, you have to remember that drummers wanted to be Neil, just as much as drummers want to be Dennis, Dave and Vinnie.
__________________

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 06-15-2006, 04:56 AM
the skin man's Avatar
the skin man the skin man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 412
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
In what way are you talking about?
I'd say just about every aspect of drumming, but maybe Jack DeJohnette and Adam Nussbaum may not be as good when it comes to some aspects of rock. Here's another thing: it might be the case if you took everything that Neil Peart has done and subtract the stuff with odd time, double bass, the solos, and the times when he's really pushing his chops to the limit, then the vast majority of his playing would remain and we would be left with is stuff that we would expect every drummer who has finished music school to be able to do - not something expected of an amazingly talented individual. Of course, that doesn't mean they would have the creativity or overall musical sense to come up with it in the first place. Feel free to jump on me if you think I'm wrong, but I do get the sense that that is probably the case.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 06-15-2006, 06:03 AM
mikeybbdrummin mikeybbdrummin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 403
Default Re: Neil Peart

[quote=the skin man]I'd say just about every aspect of drumming, but maybe Jack DeJohnette and Adam Nussbaum may not be as good when it comes to some aspects of rock. Here's another thing: it might be the case if you took everything that Neil Peart has done and subtract the stuff with odd time, double bass, the solos, and the times when he's really pushing his chops to the limit, then the vast majority of his playing would remain and we would be left with is stuff that we would expect every drummer who has finished music school to be able to do - not something expected of an amazingly talented individual. Of course, that doesn't mean they would have the creativity or overall musical sense to come up with it in the first place. Feel free to jump on me if you think I'm wrong, but I do get the sense that that is probably the case.[/quote

READ what you just said. You just said in Neils playing he has alot that makes him different than the average drummer. But take it away and he is basic. Thats like saying
take away everything that made Buddy, Buddy and hes just another drummer. That could be true, but why discredit anyone for what makes them, them. With all the drummers out their, if you have to, you should compare rock to rock, jazz to jazz or funk to funk. Just because drummer A is skilled in one or more styles than drummer B does not mean that drummer B is not a good drummer.
__________________

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 06-15-2006, 06:16 AM
the skin man's Avatar
the skin man the skin man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 412
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
You just said in Neils playing he has alot that makes him different than the average drummer. But take it away and he is basic.
What I meant was, a huge amount of it is basic, and that is not necessarily true of many other drummers. Less of their playing is basic. But in general, I think you do make a good point given that all sorts of great players often play things that are basic, because that is what the music requires. Obviously it would be silly to say that Buddy Rich was over-rated because at one moment during one tune he was playing something that was common or easy.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 06-15-2006, 06:44 AM
mikeybbdrummin mikeybbdrummin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 403
Default Re: Neil Peart

[quote=the skin man]What I meant was, a huge amount of it is basic, and that is not necessarily true of many other drummers. Less of their playing is basic. But in general, I think you do make a good point given that all sorts of great players often play things that are basic, because that is what the music requires. Obviously it would be silly to say that Buddy Rich was over-rated because at one moment during one tune he was playing something that was common or easy.[/quo

I guess it depends on what you listen to. It sounds like you think that the more you play in a song, the better you are. Again, just because a drummer plays more than another does not mean he is better. In fact if you put a Neil type player in a Puddle of Mud (for example) type of band it just would not sound right. And vice versa.
So to me that would make him a drummer just not right for the job.
__________________

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 06-15-2006, 07:07 AM
the skin man's Avatar
the skin man the skin man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 412
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
It sounds like you think that the more you play in a song, the better you are.
No, in fact, I think that it what makes some drummers really good: they know when to keep things simple or they are able to do something that is different, but still simple. My point is that a huge amount of what Neil Peart does is basic or at least basic for someone who has gone to music school and when he does do stuff that is not basic, it is not something that is totally beyond the reach of large number of other professional drummers. Maybe I shouldn't type this stuff because DogBreath is going to start barking at me again, but my point is not that he is not a great drummer. I think he is a great drummer. But when people place him on some higher plane, write things like "NEIL PEART IS GOD", or say that he is the greatest player in the entire history of the instrument, then they really are distorting the history of the drums and the current state of affairs in drumming. For what it's worth, I don't think anyone said that on this thread: "he is the greatest drummer of all time". But I have heard many people say that and I'm surprized that so many do.
Reply With Quote
  #181  
Old 06-15-2006, 07:37 AM
mikeybbdrummin mikeybbdrummin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 403
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by the skin man
No, in fact, I think that it what makes some drummers really good: they know when to keep things simple or they are able to do something that is different, but still simple. My point is that a huge amount of what Neil Peart does is basic or at least basic for someone who has gone to music school and when he does do stuff that is not basic, it is not something that is totally beyond the reach of large number of other professional drummers. Maybe I shouldn't type this stuff because DogBreath is going to start barking at me again, but my point is not that he is not a great drummer. I think he is a great drummer. But when people place him on some higher plane, write things like "NEIL PEART IS GOD", or say that he is the greatest player in the entire history of the instrument, then they really are distorting the history of the drums and the current state of affairs in drumming. For what it's worth, I don't think anyone said that on this thread: "he is the greatest drummer of all time". But I have heard many people say that and I'm surprized that so many do.
First off let me say I am not saying you are wrong in your opinion. Im trying to understand where you are coming from. Neil was popular in the mid to late 70's and was doing different, interesting and challenging stuff before anybody knew who Weckle, Coliauta or Chambers was. Just because they may have surpassed him in one way shape or form does not mean his is not good at what he does. And if you ask alot of people that you would call better than Neil, I bet Neil was part of their influence while learning to play. And "God", "Greatest ever" and that is all a matter of opinion.
I will always say that Bissonette is my "favorite" because to me, to say he is the best that ever walked the planet is a slap in the face to every incredible drummer out there.
I have stated that many drummers have faster feet, hands and more extreme four way independance than Gregg but thats not the most important thing.
__________________

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 06-15-2006, 07:58 AM
the skin man's Avatar
the skin man the skin man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 412
Default Re: Neil Peart

Maybe I should change what I said in the first thing I posted. I said I thought 1 in 5 Berklee grads could do everything that Neil Peart could do. I wouldn't be a bit surprized if that many really can play all the stuff that he plays, but I also wouldn't be a bit surprized if they aren't nearly as good at actually coming up with the stuff in the first place. So in that sense they can't do all that he can do because coming up with it in the first place is something that he does. I don't know much about the history of drumming, but again, I'm skeptical when people say that he did stuff in the ' 70's that nobody had done before. A fair amount of what I've heard doesn't sound all that more amazing than things big band drummers did a long time before and didn't Billy Cobham do a bunch of similiar amazing stuff in the ' 70's? Again, big band jazz and what Billy Cobham was doing are not rock, so there is a difference. And I like I said, I can't claim to know a huge amount about the history and development of all that stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 06-15-2006, 08:26 AM
mikeybbdrummin mikeybbdrummin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 403
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by the skin man
Maybe I should change what I said in the first thing I posted. I said I thought 1 in 5 Berklee grads could do everything that Neil Peart could do. I wouldn't be a bit surprized if that many really can play all the stuff that he plays, but I also wouldn't be a bit surprized if they aren't nearly as good at actually coming up with the stuff in the first place. So in that sense they can't do all that he can do because coming up with it in the first place is something that he does. I don't know much about the history of drumming, but again, I'm skeptical when people say that he did stuff in the ' 70's that nobody had done before. A fair amount of what I've heard doesn't sound all that more amazing than things big band drummers did a long time before and didn't Billy Cobham do a bunch of similiar amazing stuff in the ' 70's? Again, big band jazz and what Billy Cobham was doing are not rock, so there is a difference. And I like I said, I can't claim to know a huge amount about the history and development of all that stuff.
Like I said earlier. Compare style w/style. You can't compare Bellson to Grohl. So why compare Big band w/ progressive rock or rock. Cobham did some very cool stuff in the 70. He was was one of the first guys to do a double bass shuffle through a song. But then many years later Alex Van Halen did the same w/ Hot for Teacher. Would you tell any hard, hard rock double bass wizard hes not good because he does not, or can not, play jazz or big band? I think Im going in circles w/this. There are drummers that can do it all. And some that cant, but are Amazing at the style they prefer. If Vinnie or Weckle cant hold a candle to a speed metal drummer ( not my favorite ) would you look down on them?
__________________

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 06-15-2006, 09:18 AM
the skin man's Avatar
the skin man the skin man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 412
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Compare style w/style.
I think to a certain degree you're right on that one. So when people say "Neil Peart is the greatest rock drummer of all time" that has a lot more plausibility than the idea that he is the greatest drummer of all time. What if someone stuck the brain of Chad Wackerman in the body of Neil Peart and had him play in Rush? People might say that the drumming became more complex, but they might also say it didn't fit as well. And there are similiar things in jazz. For example, for example a lot of people say that Dave Weckl's swing feel is the weakest aspect of his playing.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 06-15-2006, 10:04 AM
mikeybbdrummin mikeybbdrummin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 403
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by the skin man
I think to a certain degree you're right on that one. So when people say "Neil Peart is the greatest rock drummer of all time" that has a lot more plausibility than the idea that he is the greatest drummer of all time. What if someone stuck the brain of Chad Wackerman in the body of Neil Peart and had him play in Rush? People might say that the drumming became more complex, but they might also say it didn't fit as well. And there are similiar things in jazz. For example, for example a lot of people say that Dave Weckl's swing feel is the weakest aspect of his playing.
True on the Wackerman idea. But you need to keep in mind the OTHER people in the band. You dont want to play just because you can. In Spirit of Radio the intro Alex does a riff over and over while Neil and Geddy match each other note for note. They play together for the benefit of the song not the benefit of their instrument. To play complex drums you need ( or should ) to play in a complex band so its not all about you.
__________________

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 06-15-2006, 08:22 PM
the skin man's Avatar
the skin man the skin man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 412
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
If Vinnie or Weckle cant hold a candle to a speed metal drummer ( not my favorite ) would you look down on them?
I've heard some thrash drummers do some really impressive things with speed and power and precision and I sure wouldn't look down on any other drummer if they were unable to match it if they were good in lots of other ways. I wonder if that's why so many people keep on looking at the Joey Jordinson page on this site - he's like some kind of athlete in that way - I'm not sure, I haven't listened to him. I'd bet Weckl could do all that stuff though. For him it's probably like "well, I just wanted to be able to play with a certain amount of accuracy, with a certain amount of speed, I just wanted to have it in case I need it." That's what he said once in a clinic I saw. Basically, he said he doesn't need all that speed all that often and he demonstrated a bunch of really amazing stuff that didn't hardly use any speed at all and just sounded great, but he likes to have it knowing he can play with a huge amount of speed if he needs to.
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 06-16-2006, 02:25 AM
mikeybbdrummin mikeybbdrummin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 403
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by the skin man
I've heard some thrash drummers do some really impressive things with speed and power and precision and I sure wouldn't look down on any other drummer if they were unable to match it if they were good in lots of other ways. I wonder if that's why so many people keep on looking at the Joey Jordinson page on this site - he's like some kind of athlete in that way - I'm not sure, I haven't listened to him. I'd bet Weckl could do all that stuff though. For him it's probably like "well, I just wanted to be able to play with a certain amount of accuracy, with a certain amount of speed, I just wanted to have it in case I need it." That's what he said once in a clinic I saw. Basically, he said he doesn't need all that speed all that often and he demonstrated a bunch of really amazing stuff that didn't hardly use any speed at all and just sounded great, but he likes to have it knowing he can play with a huge amount of speed if he needs to.
I dont know if Weckle can or not. Those guys have very fast feet and even faster hands. All that speed stuff is a whole other animal.
The way you see Neil is the way alot of people see Lars Ulrich. Im not a Lars fan, but people talk alot of crap about him now. 15 to 20 years ago Lars was at the top of his game and was one of the top guys if not the top guy looked at in his style. Now guys have passed him in ability, technique or whatever. And it seems as though he does not get the credit for his playing ability that made us know who he is in the first place. As w/Neil, Im sure the guys that are considered better than Lars were influenced by him.
__________________

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 06-17-2006, 04:09 AM
billy's Avatar
billy billy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hollywood Calif
Posts: 49
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath
I've been a fan of opera my whole life. One of my favorites is The Marriage of Figaro (Le Nozze di Figaro). Iíve listened to it so many times over the years on tape that I know almost every note by heart. One year for my birthday, my girlfriend bought tickets for us to see The Marriage of Figaro at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion is Los Angeles. We were young, and not rich, and we were probably the only couple there who didn't drive up in a luxury car. The place was beautiful, and the seats were great. The lights dimmed, the music started, and I was transported.



The opening scene takes place in the bedroom that will be shared by Figaro and Sussana after their wedding. Figaro is on his knees measuring the space that will be occupied by the nuptial bed. He calls out the numbers "Cinque... dieci.... venti... trenta!" exactly as I had heard them hundreds of times before, and I felt a thrill seeing the expression on his face while the familiar words were called out.



On and on the evening went, all the words exactly as I knew they would be, but now living things; all of the notes perfectly played by the orchestra. When the curtain fell for the last time the crowd was on its feet. This classic piece of musical theater had been executed faultlessly by a group of talented artists who realized that perfection is sometimes best expressed through perfect reproduction.



When I saw Rush in concert many years ago, the songs were performed with amazing precision. I was astounded at how closely the music matched the memories I had of all of times I had listened to the albums and heard the singles on the radio. Many bands riff and vamp. Many bands actually suck live and only achieve greatness through digital manipulation and post-production editing. Lightening, it is said, cannot strike the same place twice. Rush can strike home, with laser-like accuracy, over and over. Not all art is made better through riffing and improv. Some art is perfect just the way it is. I am thankful that Neil Peart has the ability to play my thoughts and memories just the way they are in my mind and heart.
WOW....WISH I COULD WRITE THAT WELL (RIGHT ON)
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 06-23-2006, 06:41 PM
mikeybbdrummin mikeybbdrummin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 403
Default Re: Neil Peart

Many bands actually suck live and only achieve greatness through digital manipulation and post-production editing. Lightening, it is said, cannot strike the same place twice. Rush can strike home, with laser-like accuracy, over and over.



Very true. I dont understant why its bad to have an incredible memory to play all their intricate parts exact year after year. I have only seen them live twice and it would suck to start to air drum Neils parts along w/him and have him play something else. Alot of us drummers have memorized his parts so why shouldnt he?
__________________

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 06-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Darmikalus's Avatar
Darmikalus Darmikalus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 193
Default Re: Neil Peart

neil is an incredible drummer, especially for what he does, the new RUSH replay DVD just got out, i bought it and i loved every second of it... on the "show of hands" dvd he kept at least 35000 people clapping along to him....thats the dream isnt it? thats what every drummer wants to do? neil has lived the dream of every drummer to come before him or after him. granted neil isnt the best funk, or jazz or latin drummer, but he arguably MADE modern rock drumming for years. SOO many greats have been inspired by him, and continue to be inspired. even now at the age of 57 hes making new grooves and new licks that i, or alot of people cant even fathom playing. yet he has always been very humble about it, i read the things he writes up on his website (www.neilpeart.net) and he described going to see roy hanes in concert, with freddie gruber, and greg bissonette, and he honestly said he was humbled to be nest to so many great drummers. even after beign a fore-running star of the Art of drumming for 30 years, he still gets inspired when he sees new drummers, and is practising latin grooves, and such, and i dont doubt that rush's next album will have some amazing licks, and cool grooves many of us will be trying to learn. if you listen to the old stuff with the crazy time signatures and massive fills, and exotic percussion, youll see how meticulously orchestrated all of it is, if you listen to his new stuff, youll heat great foot coordination, and some double bass fills he wouldnt of dremaed of 25 years ago...
rant over...
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 06-23-2006, 07:40 PM
smoggrocks smoggrocks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: nyc
Posts: 97
Default Re: Neil Peart

oof. too many pages to take in...


the thing i admire most about neil is his dedication to the craft, and his decision to go back and take lessons. i think that says a lot about someone's humility and sensibility.

i was a rush fanatic way before i even started playing drums. i found their music exciting and distinctive, and i loved that the drums were so integral to the music and so upfront. definitely did my share of airdrumming to a lot of their tunes.

while i enjoyed their live performances [must've seen them at least 25 times], in retrospect, i think they, ehhh... rushed everything. they weren't sloppy, just too rapid-fire. maybe it was the adrenaline.

i completely lost interest in the band after moving pictures. i thought the music was dull and one-dimensional and too smooth and processed-sounding. i hated that geddy changed his singing. i always liked that rush was one of those bands you either loved or hated -- that's a good position to be in!

as for neil's playing... i think it's great in the context of rush. i think sometimes he intellectualizes his playing too much; i'd like to see him just go to town. but i think that's his personality: a little anal, very intelligent, very calculating. with drums, sometimes you need to put passion before intellect, and take some chances.

as for his overall mastery of the drums, i don't think he is as developed as many other players out there. he does his thing, which is great; but there's a lot he can't do, and he admits it. obviously, he can't really play jazz [burning for buddy, anyone?], but he's neil peart, so no one's expecting him to.

i will always admire him for what he contributed to one of the most successful rock bands in history. i love that he made the drummer important. and i appreciate that he lays the 'dumb drummer' stereotype to rest.

but i don't think i'd look to him as the guy that embodies what drumming is about.
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 06-24-2006, 12:39 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

DogBreath, I wish I'd seen your post sooner. I'm a fan of the Marriage of Figaro ever since I had to learn some of the repetoire a few years ago when I was taking classical singing lessons. Some of the music is just phenomenal. My singing teacher took me specially into the head office at the Royal Academy of Music to see the table on which Mozart wrote the entire opera. It's a beautiful table, with a layer of glass over the top; because somebody had decided to put their cup of tea on it! I felt like I was stepping back and I could imagine Mozart writing the opera by candlelight.

I think, to say the least, you would have found that interesting. The music is just so rich and diverse, the story, witty and comedic and the characters deep and mischevious. There's such humour in the work and such virtuoisity. In performance (except for mine) and in creation.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 06-24-2006, 03:55 AM
mikeybbdrummin mikeybbdrummin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 403
Default Re: Neil Peart

I just went to Rush.com and previewed their new dvd/cd Replayx3. Three previously released dvd (vhs at the time) concerts. One 60 min, 70 min and 90 min. It looks like you can order it w/R30. I think under 60 bucks is pretty good. Anybody have it yet?
__________________

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 06-24-2006, 04:17 AM
IDDrummer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybbdrummin
I just went to Rush.com and previewed their new dvd/cd Replayx3. Three previously released dvd (vhs at the time) concerts. One 60 min, 70 min and 90 min. It looks like you can order it w/R30. I think under 60 bucks is pretty good. Anybody have it yet?
yep!

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...highlight=rush
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 06-24-2006, 03:56 PM
King Crimson's Avatar
King Crimson King Crimson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 82
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybbdrummin
I just went to Rush.com and previewed their new dvd/cd Replayx3. Three previously released dvd (vhs at the time) concerts. One 60 min, 70 min and 90 min. It looks like you can order it w/R30. I think under 60 bucks is pretty good. Anybody have it yet?
I got last tuesday. Good stuff. I really like "Hold Your Fire" and it has "Turn The Page" live!

The CD has some good stuff on it. But the videos are great.
__________________
What if the hokey pokey is all that its about?
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 07-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Drumzealot Drumzealot is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham to the moon
Dont get me wrong i do have mad respect for Peart, hes a very talented Drummer. I'm just not into RUSH, mainly because of Geddy Lee
I know this is an older thread but…
When I was 12 years old I could recite every lyric to every Rush song that existed. I could play most of the drums parts, most of the guitar parts and some of the bass parts. I LOVED Rush. But then I grew-up.
Personally, I agree with this and with Stu. I respect Peart and enjoy just about everything he does with Rush but find myself feeling bored with the total lack of spontaneity and “soul”. Plus the music over all, I loved it when I was an adolescent but out grew it in early high school when my interests shifted from chops and grandeur to groove, improvisation and taste.
And those lyrics…just a few days ago I put on Grace Under Pressure and had to laugh…

Memory banks unloading
Bytes break into bits
Unit One's in trouble and it's scared out of its wits

OMG…we MUST go help Unit One!!! Red Alter! Quick, Jones ready the rescue pod, Smitty prepare the rescue suits, Karzowsky, we’ll need three rescue blasters. This in NOT a drill. I repeat, this is NOT a drill.

Seems pretty cheez-ball to me.
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 07-04-2006, 02:57 AM
the skin man's Avatar
the skin man the skin man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 412
Default Re: Neil Peart

I've gone back and listened to some of the older stuff, and it's true that nobody can deny that it's really good drumming. It's stuff where he's doing a bunch more than the average drummer would do, but it still fits really well with everything else that's going on. So it doesn't sound like he's overplaying, although maybe in another context doing that much would be overplaying.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 07-05-2006, 02:53 AM
Drum Monkey Drum Monkey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 112
Default Re: Neil Peart

Definitely my biggest drumming influence! Love his style, the way he plays, everything!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdn
I think everyone would agree that Neil Peart is an amazing musician and has inspired tons of newbies into developing their craft.
Newbies? Not everyone who is inspired by Neil is a newbie. There are professionals, amateurs as well as beginners.

-DM
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 07-05-2006, 04:27 AM
Drum Monkey Drum Monkey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 112
Default Re: Neil Peart

It's not overplaying because it fits the music. He has and excellent bassist and guitarist to work with!

-DM
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 07-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Jeff Almeyda's Avatar
Jeff Almeyda Jeff Almeyda is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,273
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer
Also the lyrics... i heard that peart writes the lyrics for most songs, dont know if that's totally true or not, but the lyrcis just don't make any sense to me. Look at "spirit of the radio" for example when geddy sings "echo of the sound of salesmen"..............what the hell does that mean? .
It's a take-off on the song "The Sounds of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel

Sound of Silence final verse goes: "And the words of the prophets were written on the subway halls, tenement halls echo with the Sound of Silence."

Spirit of Radio" And the words of the profits were written on the studio walls , concert halls echo with the sound of salesman."

Makes a little more sense now, huh? Especially when you read the rest of the song's lyrics about the true "spirit of radio".

BTW, I know this post was a few months ago but I didn't see the answer anywhere.
__________________
Either you have a purpose behind your expression... or you don't.
JoJo Mayer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com