DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

Default training sticks

i always hear about people using weighted sticks or pillows for training. but i came up with an idea yeasterday dunno if anyones done it yet. i was practicing as per usual and ive let my sticks get ridiculously thin towards the end,so i figured id grab a new pair and man rebound! i always forget how much wittled down sticks eat up your rebound by flexing. has someone? or why doesnt some one? invent flexible sticks for training so your really have to force out every stroke and really concentrate on your control.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: training sticks

The colored aluminum sticks (advertised in MD, Drum! etc..) kinda do that.
You have to work them, and they will build up your wrist muscles since they are pretty heavy.
The shop I go to had some of those on display for a while. I don't know if anyone bought them...I haven't seen them around lately.

You could also try some double butt sticks.

When you first use them, it's kind hard to get the rebound (especially on a pad), but once you get the hang of those sticks it's rebound city!

I started using the double butts (again) for one of my groups (songs don't call for, or need a 'pingy' ride sound at all), and besides the durability in the area that hits the cymbal, I can do buzz rolls on my 13" tom that sound as smooth as on a snare.

Sounds crazy, but I'm not BSing you.

Pro-Mark, and Regal make nice DB sticks, and I think Vater might still offer the Morgan Rose model (but he's changed his sig model now).

Zildjians, kinda broke easy on me for some reason, but they feel good too.

In order of heft, and diameter, I'd say
Fattest to thinner:

Vater's Morgan Rose

Zildjian's Absolute Rock

Regal's Power Rock (used by Alex Van Halen--even though he had his Sig stick at the time. You can see/hear them on the "Right Here, Right Now" DVD).

Pro-Mark's Rock Knocker

If the shops you go to have any of those, check 'em out and see what you think.

Even if you didn't change from your regular sticks, I think they would be good for warming up, and working your rebounds.

These are also great for a real big, fat sound on your toms, and ride without a lot effort.

If you play your hats with the side of the stick, and not the tip, that sound won't change, and most of the time people play crashes with the shaft as well, so really, the only cymbal sound change is that the ride sound is more pronounced, and the bell is a lot clearer, and really cuts though. Which can be a good thing (or not).
Old 10-27-2007, 04:44 AM
Silver Member

yeah ive heard of the metal training sticks, man up to 28 ounces lol those things would be monsters. double butt? are those the non tapered sticks?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, double butt sticks are the kind that don't have any taper or tip.

Most companies offer them, but they don't really advertise them.
They have them in their catalog of offered sticks though.

Sometimes shops have some 'just in case' someone may actually ask for them.

My drumshop guy ordered some of the Zildjian DB sticks, and the guy asked "somebody actually uses those" ? haha.

Zildjians model is nice, but a few did break on me in the hand area for some reason. I wasn't holding them tighter or anything...must be just the grain of that batch.

I go between the Regal Power Rock, and the Pro-Mark Rock Knocker.
Both hold up great. The Regal is slightly bigger in diameter than the Pro-Mark.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Pioneer Member

But be aware of the fact that this way you will ONLY gain power!

speed is a matter of endurance and endurance can not be achieved with resistance exercises, for example look at marathonists, they don't have much muscle mass yet they have great endurance.

I had a dialog with Jojo Mayer about this thing and here's his answer:
''Here's my 10 cents on this one:

Personally, I never practiced on pillows. Intuitively it felt not right. It's too much strain on your body to build facilities that way...we are musicians...not athletes.

Pillow practice will train your muscles against resistance and change the balance of the muscles towards slow twitching muscles as opposed to fast twitching muscles...you will build power, yes... Speed ,no. You were right about this (marathon/sprinter)

I guess the bottom line is that by practicing on pillows you will obtain a style of playing "throug" the drums as opposed to "out" of the drums. When you practice on pillows you will sound like playing on pillows behind the drumset too!

Dennis, Blackwell or Donati: dry staccato sound. Listen to Omar Hakim, Steve Smith, Morello or Weckl: open singing sound...

All these players have great control, speed and power.....so I guess go for the sound!''

my new d'n'b set-up!