DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-24-2007, 01:24 AM

Default In-ear monitors? Please help

Hi guys,

I am using a Roland V drum set -up in my band set up, and I am using a click track for our live performances (Down- tempo, trip hop)

I want to buy a set of cool in ear monitors, maybe even just use the one, an keep one ear free, but i need them to be powerful (Loud) and so that the click is very prominent.

Can somebody name a set of in-ear monitors that would be suitable? I have heard that Shure make good ones, can somebody tell me the name?

My bands link is here btw: as You see a click is essential for this kind of live performance

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=167544366

I would be most grateful and look forward to your replies, and I have always found you very helpful :-)
Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Re: In-ear monitors? Please help

shure IEM models

I use the #2 and 3 models, and have found them to be sufficient for V-drum/click monitoring without breaking the bank. I usually only use one side of the IEM while performing.
One nice thing about using V's is that you don't really need a headphone amp; you could run your click straight into the line-in on your module, and just plug your IEMs into the module's headphone jack. One less piece of outboard gear to worry about...

cool band- I think we share some influences.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:08 AM

Thank you very much for the detailed reply! ! Appreciated :-)

Hey cool sounds also! I see we share a significant amount of interests....You cant beat the cocteaus :-)

Can I ask, Im torn between the 2 's and 3's...however for some reason the 2's are maybe calling me more...What do you think I should go for? As a drummer what are different between them?

At the moment the headphones just dont cut it, and sometimes I feel with headphones Im loosing the click....I take it with these in ear monitors, the click is more powerful and loud?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljoey View Post
I want to buy a set of cool in ear monitors, maybe even just use the one, an keep one ear free, but i need them to be powerful (Loud) and so that the click is very prominent.
You better be careful with the volume with in-ears. You can damage you ear drums very quickly with such a loud device. Inners are designed to muffle sound.... so therefore you don't need alot of volume.

Also, the search function works very well. When looking into devices such as in-ears its always good to read all of the threads that you can find regarding them. Reason being, you will come across information that you never previously thought of.

#1 - http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...light=monitors

#2 - http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...light=monitors

#3 - http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...light=monitors

#4 - http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...light=monitors

#5 - http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...light=monitors

#6 - http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...light=monitors

#7 - http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...light=monitors

#8 - http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...light=monitors

#9 - http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...light=monitors

All I did was type in ear monitors in the search function and I came up with 9 threads regarding them. Check them out buddy, it is a world of information and knowledge.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:20 AM

thank you that guy, I should have done that, but thank you for posting them, thats a great help ;-)
Old 10-24-2007, 02:53 AM

Ok Ive read a lot on those posts some very useful information indeed.

Can somebody point me in the right direction to a shure seller, who makes custom ear fittings? I think this is very important as I want max isolation to protect my ears.

Thank you :-)
Old 10-24-2007, 05:22 AM
Guinness

I actually just switched to in-ear monitors about a month ago. I purchased the Carvin PM1000 set up and had a little problem with it the first gig. The transmitter and receiver work just fine, but they threw in a pair of crappy Koss ear buds that retail for about $15 (nothing more than cheap I-pod buds) I play strictly acoustic live and had a lot of problems with the bass drum and bass guitar distorting badly. After doing some research I decided to purchase a pair of Shure E-3 ear monitors. They run about $150, but you get what you pay for. I received them last Tuesday and miked everything at band practice last week and the difference was amazing. The isolation was uncanny and everything was clean and dynamic. I read a lot of negative reviews about the E2 ear monitors although I have never been able to try them. I can't say that I was able to find one derogatory statement about the E3s, which is why I ponied up the cash and spent the extra $100. I must say that I am happy with the purchase. Good luck choosing some.

ps. I hear that Ultimate Ears makes a nice ear monitor as well.

Scott
Old 10-26-2007, 04:08 PM

our bassist, guitarist, and I all use the E2s. I have a set of E3's, but prefer the E2s. The E3s just don't seem to fit as comfortably, and the difference in sound quality is not that noticeable to me. Not sure what the common complaints about the E2 referred to would be, but we haven't had any trouble with ours. I suppose the bass response isn't what you'd consider 'audiophile-quality,' but they definitely get the job done without costing an arm and a leg.

We haven't been using the custom-molded earpieces either- we like to be able to monitor the stage ambiance by popping one side out every now and then, and have found that even the standard foam or rubber pieces work fine for reducing noise levels. Unless your band is superloud, you may very well be OK with the standard foam inserts.

Westone also makes a nice line of IEMs, I had forgotten to mention those. I used them at a performance at last year's winter NAMM, and was quite pleased.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Guinness

Most of the negative comments that I viewed came directly form the Musicians Friend user reviews. The negative out-weighed the positive ones by over half it seemed. Most of the gripe was over the fit and inability to achieve isolation.

The Westone products had excellent reviews across the board. I read were they actually used to handle most of the manufacturing for Shure until Shure decided to take the operations overseas. They were a little bit more than I had budgeted for (I was already over budgeted with the E3's), but I will definitely consider them when an upgrade is due.

That's the problem with these hobbies. You are never done buying new toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xush View Post
our bassist, guitarist, and I all use the E2s. I have a set of E3's, but prefer the E2s. The E3s just don't seem to fit as comfortably, and the difference in sound quality is not that noticeable to me. Not sure what the common complaints about the E2 referred to would be, but we haven't had any trouble with ours. I suppose the bass response isn't what you'd consider 'audiophile-quality,' but they definitely get the job done without costing an arm and a leg.

We haven't been using the custom-molded earpieces either- we like to be able to monitor the stage ambiance by popping one side out every now and then, and have found that even the standard foam or rubber pieces work fine for reducing noise levels. Unless your band is superloud, you may very well be OK with the standard foam inserts.

Westone also makes a nice line of IEMs, I had forgotten to mention those. I used them at a performance at last year's winter NAMM, and was quite pleased.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
That's the problem with these hobbies. You are never done buying new toys.
that's what the manufacturers are counting on! :-0

You want some serious gear lust? Run some IEMs thru the AVIOM monitoring systems-
yikes!!! I've been jonesing for that setup since last year's NAMM.
wow- that thing is NICE! Now I see they have a rackmount version. Dang it! G.A.S strikes again...

http://www.aviom.com/adspProducta16i...pro16&ln=a16II
Old 10-27-2007, 02:38 AM
da cheese walks

question...how easy is it to throw in ear monitors through a P.A...?and would your average soundguy be able to do it???

ive always had problems with monitors...and i hate the little monitors that sit in front of the stage and which all point up at the band, except you....ive also had a soundguy throw a huge amp beside my head,blaring into my head, when i told him i couldnt hear the monitors, and i think that contributed to the horrible hearing loss im suffering, as i played that venue about 20 times before i just couldnt do i t anymore....

in ear monitors would be good...would make sense...but as i say...im in ireland...most soundguys here barely know how to brush their own teeth....would it be too confusing for tehm?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da cheese walks View Post
question...how easy is it to throw in ear monitors through a P.A...?and would your average soundguy be able to do it???
It's pretty simple if you use a headphone amp- just have the soundman send you a line-out from the main mix. It's best if you can get a separate mix of exactly what you want, but that should be pretty much what he's putting in your wedge/stage monitor anyway, so you just have that audio signal patched to your headphone amp- then you can control the main level.
You do have to rely on the soundman for your MIX though, but it's no different than getting the mix right in your wedge monitor.
Hope that makes sense, I've only had one cup of coffee this morning...