DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-23-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Glenn Kotche

Hi All,

Iím a big fan of Glennís playing (both solo and with Wilco & Loose Fur). I searched the forum and didnít see that he had a thread of his own for others to discuss so thought Iíd start one. The guy is an amazingly solid player with Wilco, he lets the songs mature on their own within the framework of the band and allows for Wilcoís lyrics to breath. His solo stuff is simply amazing. Iíve also had the privilege of seeing him live and love the way he approaches our instrument. On a somewhat subjective note I live in the Chicago area and have never heard anything but great things about him as a person too.

Also check out:

http://glennkotche.com/

http://www.wilcoworld.net/
Old 10-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Glenn Kotche

I think Glenn is a cool drummer too!

I dig the stuf on the MD fest DVD. I haven't heard other stuff, but I do plan to check it out.
His last MD article was cool.

My 5 yr old drummer son has made me watch Monkey Chant about 5 million times...not really 'made', but there comes a point when you want to watch something else on the DVD haha!
He goes down to his little kit in the basement and does some of the Monkey Chant rhythms, and I showed him to do the hand/oot patern on the floor tom/bass drum, and he's gotten pretty good at it.
Of course he also loves Neil Peart and made me play the Rio solo a million times too.
Then he goes and plays that stuff, and gets up off the seat and turns around like he's got a kit behind him...it's kinda bizzare to watch a 4-5 year old doing that stuff...even though he used to wake us up doing singing drum beats in his crib....
Old 12-09-2008, 09:46 PM

Default Glen Kotche

Hey guys and gals dont know if your familiar with this guy. But i love his tone and the tunes he plays, saw him last nite and sounded great. He drums for the Chicago based rock group WILCO (awsome band) if you dont know him you should check him out.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Glen Kotche

Yes, Glenn is great, I love his playing. I think one of his greatest attributes is that when playing with Wilco he plays only what the songs call for. If you haven't seen his solo work check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkmGSABX1Sg
Old 01-07-2009, 09:25 PM

I've seen a little of his solo work and it is very impressive, but I am getting more and more into Wilco and the whole band is genius. Anyone who has not checked out Yankee Hotel Foxtrot should really listen. They have almost like a Neil Young/more expiramental sound and it turns out amazing, and Kotche is amazing on it.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 PM

Hey ZZ,

Glad to hear you've gotten into Wilco and Glenn's playing. You should try to check them out live if/when you get a chance. They're a great live band. Check these links out from last year, they'll give you a great feel for Glenn's playing (with Wilco) and how the band plays live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCWBS...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMVEX3Cqk-A
Old 01-20-2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzdrummer View Post
I've seen a little of his solo work and it is very impressive, but I am getting more and more into Wilco and the whole band is genius. Anyone who has not checked out Yankee Hotel Foxtrot should really listen. They have almost like a Neil Young/more expiramental sound and it turns out amazing, and Kotche is amazing on it.
Yeah i saw Wilco open up for Neil Young In detroit, it was incredible, and yankee hotel Foxtrot is my favorite album, just the tone of glenn's drums makes my crazy.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:09 AM

Wilco is amazing live! True musicianship. Yankee is great. Though I must say that I prefer A Ghost is Born and Sky Blue Sky, mainly due to the addition of Nels and Mikail and the subtraction of Jay. I would definitely agree that Glen's work on Yankee is absolutely remarkable. If you haven't already, check out Sky Blue Sky. He has some sweet licks on that album and his approach seems to be getting even more refined, tasteful, and for lack of a better word...badass. His attention to coloristic and textural elements is truly unparalleled. Also, I was able to pick his brain a bit at the Knoxille show a few days ago and I was surprised with how genuinely nice he is. Nels also told me that the new album would be out in June, which is pretty great considering Im seeing them in Cincinatti on June 12th and was able to see them on the day that Ashes of American Flags was released. What are the odds?
Old 04-23-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry_ghost View Post
Wilco is amazing live! True musicianship. Yankee is great. Though I must say that I prefer A Ghost is Born and Sky Blue Sky, mainly due to the addition of Nels and Mikail and the subtraction of Jay. I would definitely agree that Glen's work on Yankee is absolutely remarkable. If you haven't already, check out Sky Blue Sky. He has some sweet licks on that album and his approach seems to be getting even more refined, tasteful, and for lack of a better word...badass. His attention to coloristic and textural elements is truly unparalleled. Also, I was able to pick his brain a bit at the Knoxille show a few days ago and I was surprised with how genuinely nice he is. Nels also told me that the new album would be out in June, which is pretty great considering Im seeing them in Cincinatti on June 12th and was able to see them on the day that Ashes of American Flags was released. What are the odds?
I also love Sky Blue Sky, it is way different, more organic? I guess thats the word. But I love his style on that, some truely great cuts on that album. I bought it off iTunes and it says there is a bonus track, so I don't know if it is on other versions of the album, but it is called Let's Not Get Carried Away and it is an awesome song. Just classsic, BA rock n' roll, he plays a solo which is great, but throughout the whole song he is completly on point. Represents the whole album, awesome song.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:14 PM

Glenn is one of my favourites, and next to Ringo, probably my strongest influence. I really appreciate the way he tries to go beyond being "just a timekeeper" and explore the musicality of drums, but only where it's appropriate for the song. Another egoless drummer, and a very, very gracious man.

Check out this link for an interview with him on NPR's Sound Opinions:
http://www.soundopinions.org/archive...ml#guestkotche

The Beatles will always be special to me, because I learned to play bass as a 12- and 13-year-old by listening to my dad's records and playing along. But right now, I'd have to say Wilco is my favourite band. That music does something to me that I can't explain. I could go on and on and on (pun intended), but I won't.

Anyone interested in checking out more of Glenn's style should check out the DVDs I Am Trying To Break Your Heart and Wilco's new live DVD Ashes of American Flags.

Also well worth listening to are Loose Fur's two albums (but especially the second one, "Born Again In The USA"). That's the side-project featuring Jeff Tweedy (leader of Wilco), Jim O'Rourke (who produced Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost Is Born), and Glenn.

http://www.glennkotche.com
Old 04-15-2010, 05:17 PM

Default Glenn Kotche/Tom Waits

I've been trying to find other "outside the box" drummers such as Glenn Kotche. I came across a video of him performing his song Monkey Chant and was intrigued by all the prepared percussion he uses. His kit obviously costs a bit of money, but I'm starting to make my own percussion out of found objects like he does. Tom Waits is another artist who's records feature a wide array of found instruments. A few he uses he got from percussion instrument maker Tom Nunn. I'm sure there are a ton of others who do this. Does anyone have any other drummers in mind?

Last edited by JonaWilder; 04-15-2010 at 10:36 PM.