DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Silver Member

Default Anyone using no-legs?

....hi-hat and snare stands, that is. Mainly for the rack-users around here.

For the rack. I'm thinking about going that route. Even though nothing is really impeded (pedals, snare legs, hi-hats)...I am always looking for ways to make it more simple and organized behind the kit.

I'd love to hear some experiences with them.

Thanks.

Andy
Old 10-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Anyone using no-legs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
....hi-hat and snare stands, that is. Mainly for the rack-users around here.

For the rack. I'm thinking about going that route. Even though nothing is really impeded (pedals, snare legs, hi-hats)...I am always looking for ways to make it more simple and organized behind the kit.

I'd love to hear some experiences with them.

Thanks.

Andy
On page three of the thread about my kit, I show how I removed the legs from a hi-hat and removed one of the legs from a cymbal stand, then clamped the hi-hat to the cymbal stand. Instead of seven points of contact with the floor, I just have three, and I opened up space for a couple of foot percussion pedals.

I am always looking for ways to economize also. I don't like a forest of stands around my kit and I see a lot of people have a separate triple-braced boom stand for each item, adding weight and floor footprint.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

I've used 2 leggless hi-hat stands in the last 15 years. My first was a Gibraltar. Certainly, not my favorite hi-hat stand ever, but it did the job. Later, when situation dictated, I borrowed my buddy's Tama legless. Much better stand, Even though it's gotta be at least 10 years old also, good stuff. In using a rack, if you keep it bolted to your rack it adds substancial weight to the rack (which you will notice moving on and off stage,especially by yourself). And if you bolt it on "on stage", well, then it's just "another" thing you have to do. Also, they won't stand up very well on their own, even leaning against a wall. But they will open up floor space, and since I sometimes run a 3rd kick pedal and a foot controller for my loop station and a volume pedal (all left side), yeah, floor space gets tight.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

Sounds about par.

I figure if I really wanted to, I could get away using a couple PDP multi-clamps, two single post Gibraltar no-leg snare stands, and three of the Gibraltar SC-EA100 arms and be golden in covering two snares and the hi-hat stand...being that PDP (or Pearl for that matter) don't seem to offer this stuff.

Footprint isn't a big issue. I think a less-cluttered foot-work-space would be nice, so long as it's all stable. Either way, it seems to be pretty close to the same amount of "material" weight...just configured different.