DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 10-22-2007, 09:04 AM

Default Le Soprano Pro Maple

I came accross a Le Soprano Pro Maple 5 pce kit in a drum store today. These kits are totally hand made in Italy. I can get this kit for a pretty good price. What is the general opinion of this brand. I have had my Premier kit for 30 yrs and it is still in vg condition, but I have decided to upgrade to a new upper level kit. Check out the link.
http://www.lesoprano.it/drumset/promaple_en.html
Old 10-22-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Le Soprano Pro Maple

no doubt great sound great handmade artigians but very expensive how much does it it cost in australia? in italy is about 2000 euros that is something like 3000 usa bugs
less espensive but also good is tamburo formula or tamburo original similar construction...
Old 10-22-2007, 05:03 PM

I can get it for just over $3000 Australian. I think the rrp is around $5000.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:12 PM

5000 bugs? too expensive turn for a dw one at this point
http://shop.acusticanapoli.com/home....d_Articoli=526
look this sample
Old 10-22-2007, 05:31 PM

I can get it for tick over $3000 Aussie which is about $2600 USD.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:59 AM

My experience with Le Soprano is limited to a brief play with two snare drums from the company's Prima Original line. I was amazed by these drums' quality of construction: you can see that these are made with passion and skill. The sound of the snares was also impressive: big, bold sound with killer crack yet sensitive.

My advice is to try to compare 2 or 3 toms from the Pro Maple kit against something else in the shop in the same price range, then let your ears do their work. There are lots of options available in this price range. Let us know what you decide and good hunting.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:59 PM

I had a play on the kit, and it sounds fantastic. I had a friend of mine who plays the Prima Original model(top of the line) Soprano, to try them out as well. He was very inpressed with them especially for the money. I have decided to snap them up. Another reason I like them is the fact that Le Soprano drums are a bit different.They have some character. I mean everyone plays Pearl etc. Most people have not even heard of Le Soprano.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:53 PM

I will probably be picking up my new Le Soprano Pro Maple kit later today. I will post up a few pics of them after I have set them up. I am pretty excited.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Gold Member

You won't be sorry!

bna79: I'm sorry but DW is overpriced. =) Especially compared to a masterpiece of craftsmanship like this lol
Old 11-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Nice, can't wait to see pics of it
Old 11-24-2007, 12:19 PM

I took a couple of pics today, but they don't do it justice. Looks heaps nicer in the flesh. Sounds awesome
[IMG][/IMG]
[/IMG]

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
I like the way you can slide the toms in and out on the bass drum.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:34 PM

Simply beautiful!

A couple of years ago Modern Drummer tested a Le Soprano stave set, and as far as I can remember they found it absolutely outstanding (actually, I have been reading MD for years, but I do not remember many other kits which received such a high consideration).
Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 PM

I had been thinking of getting a new kit for a few months. My 1970 Premier kit is still in great condition and sounds really good, but I decided after 30yrs, it was time for a new kit. There are lots of good kits around for the money I wanted to spend, but I could not make up my mind. Once I saw this Soprano, I new straight away, that was the one for me. It really is a beautifully made kit, which sounds awesome. I also like the fact that Le Soprano drum kits are a bit unique. I only know of 2 other Soprano kits in my city, and top class drummers play both of them.
I will be gigging with them for the first time next Sunday, and I have kept them a secret from the rest of the band. I think they will be impressed.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Bloomer View Post
I will be gigging with them for the first time next Sunday, and I have kept them a secret from the rest of the band. I think they will be impressed.
The rest of the band were very impressed, as has everyone else who has seen and heard them since.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:14 PM

Hi,

I usually don't post here, just read ;)

But I happen to find this topic (google) about the pro maple.
I own a pro maple little over two years now.
It is just an awesome looking and sounding kit. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

here's mine:

Old 08-16-2008, 02:39 PM

I absolutely love my Le Soprano Pro Maple Kit. I am amazed that more drummers don't play them , because every other drummer and musicians in general are blown away by the sound and build quality, when they see and hear mine. They are one of the best kept secrets in the drumming world. I myself had not even heard of them 3 years ago.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I am amazed that more drummers don't play them , because every other drummer and musicians in general are blown away by the sound and build quality, when they see and hear mine. They are one of the best kept secrets in the drumming world.
Well, consider that:
  • Le Soprano is a small custom brand;
  • Le Soprano is based in Italy and their primary market is Italy, which is a relatively small country;
  • a small company like Le Soprano can probably not offer endorsements to top players.
Another reason is probably the price: do not forget that the beautiful set you own is not the top of the line of Le Soprano, but, at least in Italy, is anyway very expensive (their top of the line is the Prima Original, which is probably the most impressive stave set you can find worldwide: all drums use a free floating system and are composed by two shells ...). Like another not very well known Italian brand, i.e. Tamburo, Le Soprano started with stave drums (Tamburo in 1984, Le Soprano in the nineties I think), which are expensive and not all drummers like. I do not know why Le Soprano started to build classical ply shells like yours, but I know that for Tamburo this was a necessity in order to survive (stave kits were by far too expensive for the majority of the Italian non professional drummers).

Let me add something which does not have anything to do with your drums but that could be of some interest for you: I came back right today from the town where Le Soprano drums are built, i.e. Bergamo (actually they are based outside Bergamo, but really not very far), so let me post a picture of this town I took a few days ago: beauty is everywhere in Bergamo, and maybe this can help to understand why your kit is so beautiful!

(if you want more pictures, just send me a personal e-mail - view my profile)
Attached Images

Last edited by sacco; 08-17-2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Wrong quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:43 PM

I agree, the Le Soprano Prima Original kits are something to behold. I was lucky enough to play one of these kits about 2 years ago. For the money though, the Pro Maple series has awesome sound and quality.
The manager of the drum shop (in Australia) where I bought my kit, recently went on a tour through the little Italian factory that makes them.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:03 PM

I agree,
with both of you.
(I also see my photos are off line)

I'm on my holiday in italy soon, and will try to pay a visit to Le Soprano.
Their Prima Original are quite something. The build of those shells are really impressive.

Though Tamburo uses a stave build, they do not round the shells afterwards, making it a much more economic construction.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paQ View Post
Though Tamburo uses a stave build, they do not round the shells afterwards, making it a much more economic construction.
Effectively, there is a Tamburo set, the Opera, which has poliedric shells, but the top of the line, i.e. the Original, has rounded stave shells. Unfortunately, they are quite expensive and almost disappeared, even if they still are on their catalogue. The first picture hereafter is taken from their catalogue, the second one is my 4.25" x 14" Original maple snare (maybe some day I will post my entire Tamburo set).

Sorry for the post, I know this thread is about the wonderful Le Soprano drums and not Tamburo, but I think that Le Sprano would never have appeared without Tamburo, which was the first Italian company which produced stave drums (since 1984).
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2008, 10:11 PM

noted ;)

I'm curious if Marco of Le Soprano is able to show in real life how he produces the stave shells. When I look at the film on his website, they have a rather simple way of constructing the staves and 'wrapping' them together. Also I want to hear the difference (again) between a pro maple and a prima original...
When buying the Pro maple, I've held the prima original snare a couple of times in my hands. It was so nicely made an perfectly finished, I was somehow scared I would drop it or something. Also refering to its price-tag ;)