DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-18-2007, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Beautiful hardware - bass drum claws

These look cool. Even at $10 each, I'd like to bolt a set to my bass drum when I get the cash. I don't know why there aren't more kinds of bass drum claws, come to think of it.

http://maceacherndrums.com/cocl.html
Old 10-18-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Beautiful hardware - bass drum claws

those are bad ass i am defintely intrested
Old 10-18-2007, 10:59 PM
fourstringdrums

I think Masonni uses these. Too bad they don't make other styles.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
These look cool. Even at $10 each, I'd like to bolt a set to my bass drum when I get the cash. I don't know why there aren't more kinds of bass drum claws, come to think of it.

http://maceacherndrums.com/cocl.html
Easy with the bolt word, you don't want to upset stickboy, lol. Those are pretty trippy claws though.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 10-19-2007, 05:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I think Masonni uses these. Too bad they don't make other styles.
He does use them. I wish they made more stuff like that as well (different styles). Hmm... open business opportunity for someone with access to a machine shop.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Pioneer Member

Keep in mind you may also have to buy longer tension rods as was mentioned in the fine print on the web page. They do look pretty cool.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
He does use them. I wish they made more stuff like that as well (different styles). Hmm... open business opportunity for someone with access to a machine shop.
You'd need an artist, too. Someone to carve claws out of wax or whatever into monster fingers, fancy curlicues, yin/yang symbol, gargoyles, dollar signs, skulls, cars, dice, whatever.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You'd need an artist, too. Someone to carve claws out of wax or whatever into monster fingers, fancy curlicues, yin/yang symbol, gargoyles, dollar signs, skulls, cars, dice, whatever.
Yep, very true. Also, possibly someone with AutoCAD experience to take the concept sketches and translate them to a true blueprint to feed the lathe machine if they aren't being machined by hand.

I'm actually trying to learn AutoCAD now... so maybe in a couple of years I can be the middle man to the machine(ist). heheh

I actually have a friend who could probably come up with some interesting sculptures. He lives in Cal now though. :( This town is full of artists so that wouldn't be too hard to find.

I was working with a guy not long ago who said he could hook me up with a friend/relative who works in a machine shop and could make whatever I design. I was going to try to get him to do some custom lugs, but maybe we could think of a nice new claw design to try out if he's still willing. It's a long shot.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

I was given a couple of these to check out, and they are cool looking & well made.

For what they are, I guess they're worth the price.

I'm not one to shoot something like these down just because basically no one but the drummer having them, and whoever he points them out to is going to see or notice them.

I dig little things like these--they are cool.

Heck, I outfitted my kit with Tight Screws tension rods---boy do those things work great!!
But it's another one of those things people think you're crazy to spend money--on like these claws.

Customising your kit is just fun, and I think you get a better connection with your gear that way too.

If you like 'em, and can afford it, go to it.

The drawback is that they are really heavy.

I was actually kinda shocked, and I couldn't imagine how much heavier 20 of these things
would make my kick. If you don't care about that either, go for it.

As far as the tension rods, I put them on my sons kit (since I only got 2), and I didn't need longer rods to put them on, so you may or may not have to get different rods.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't be concerned about the weight of them doing anything to the drum, but putting 20 of them on the kick is gonna add substantial weight for carting it around.

HOWEVER, if this was back back when I was 18, & I didn't care about how much gear I lugged around, it wouldn't make a difference.

Putting them on the top 2 lugs seems cool though--kinda like part of a custom hood ornament thing--but I couldn't do just the front head....that would be like putting only 2 cool rims on a hot rod to me. But that's just me.

If you dig them, go for it.

Like I said before, I was going to put the 2 on my kick, but my 5 yr old drumming son really though they were cool, so I put them on his kit instead.

I got them my drum tech friend, who works for a VERY well known (some would say legendary) rock drummer.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
I wouldn't be concerned about the weight of them doing anything to the drum, but putting 20 of them on the kick is gonna add substantial weight for carting it around.

HOWEVER, if this was back back when I was 18, & I didn't care about how much gear I lugged around, it wouldn't make a difference.

Putting them on the top 2 lugs seems cool though--kinda like part of a custom hood ornament thing--but I couldn't do just the front head....that would be like putting only 2 cool rims on a hot rod to me. But that's just me.

If you dig them, go for it.

Like I said before, I was going to put the 2 on my kick, but my 5 yr old drumming son really though they were cool, so I put them on his kit instead.

I got them my drum tech friend, who works for a VERY well known (some would say legendary) rock drummer.
Cool you got to check them out in person.

Each weighs about a third of a pound, so twenty of them would weigh close to seven pounds. That's not a huge weight addition, but it's definitely something to consider.

I'd just get a set of eight for the front of my bass drum, which would be less than three pounds, but I have a pretty heavy bass drum anyway.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Pioneer Member

7 pounds may not sound like much but trust me when you're tired and fatigued 7 pounds can feel like a hundred. Especially on something the size of a bass drum which can be bulky and awkward anyway.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
7 pounds may not sound like much but trust me when you're tired and fatigued 7 pounds can feel like a hundred. Especially on something the size of a bass drum which can be bulky and awkward anyway.
That's true. If someone's not strong enough, they probably shouldn't get these, especially if they're playing a lot of exhausting gigs. As for me, I need to lose weight more than my drums, so it would just be more exercise and I look forward to adding weight to my drums.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Each weighs about a third of a pound, so twenty of them would weigh close to seven pounds. That's not a huge weight addition, but it's definitely something to consider.

I'd just get a set of eight for the front of my bass drum, which would be less than three pounds, but I have a pretty heavy bass drum anyway.
Really? They only weigh that much?

Wow.

I'm actually kinda shocked they're only that much. In your hand they really feel heavy.

7 pounds wouldn't be THAT much I guess...but I have a 20X26" bass drum, and I stopped using my 20X28 because I was sick of how dang heavy the case was...even with the wheels I put on the case, it was getting to be a pain (but it WAS cool as crap playing it..and scaring people with it haha!).

Yeah, if you want to get them, they are really well made so they're not a cheapie gimmic item.

But,they don't have any protection in them for the hoop.

You may want to get some felt or something so they don't gouge your hoop paint.

Post some pics when you get them on!

The hand with spiked fists would be rad......it'd keep people from messing with your stuff. Or, they'd get a suprise if they did....