DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 10-15-2007, 05:11 AM
Silver Member

Default My New Istanbul Cymbals

I bought some really nice Istanbul cymbals yesterday and I thought I'd share a photo with those of you who are interested. I bought them from Noel at Heartbeat Percussion - he was most helpful - a great guy. I ended up buying 13 cymbals (that's including the 2 Hats). That's pretty interesting if you consider I had about 7 in mind when I went there.

I haven't played in over 30 years and I'm just getting back to it now (sorry for repeating this for those of you that have read some of my Gretsch posts recently). Noel's help was much appreciated.

Here's what I bought:
A 25th Anniversary 20.5 Istanbul Ride
22 2006 Limited Edition Istanbul Ride
18 Mel Lewis 1982 Istanbul Crash Ride
14 Mel Lewis Istanbul Hats
16 Turk Istanbul Crash Ride
16 Paper Thin Traditional Istanbul Crash
10 Alchemy Bell
18 Traditional Istanbul China
10 Traditional Istanbul Splash
12 Traditional Istanbul Splash
10 Mini Istanbul China
And last, but not least a 20 Original Istanbul Ride

I haven't got my cymbal stands yet, I've ordered a couple of Gibraltar hybrid tom/cymbal stands (9813DP), I didn't want to buy everything until after I bought my cymbals. When I get my new shellpack, cymbals and hardware all together (before Christmas I hope) I'll post a photo or two. For now these are them as I unpacked them today. I've posted some close-ups of the Rides, the Turk and the Bell:
Attached Images

Last edited by KONA; 10-20-2007 at 10:25 PM. Reason: UPGRADE TITLE
Old 10-15-2007, 05:18 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My New Istanbul Cymbal

Wow, talk about getting back into drumming in style. African Mahogany Gretsch and good ol' Turkish bronze from Istanbul. Wow.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:26 AM
Platinum Member

Very impressive Kona and what a wide selection of Agops indeed!.

You certainly made the best of your visit to the local Agop "field of dreams" that's for certain with putting that terrific collection together. Great pics and well done sir!.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-15-2007, 07:16 AM
Silver Member

Amazing. Let me know how those hats sound. Joey
Old 10-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Congrats Kona with a great buy! How much did you pay for those? And welcome back to drumming.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:44 AM

From the title I was expecting only one cymbal, but 13?! I bet they all sound amazing too.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velimor View Post
From the title I was expecting only one cymbal, but 13?! I bet they all sound amazing too.
Ya - I saw I made an error in the title and went back in to edit (advanced edit) and changed it to "cymbals" saved it and then it still says "cymbal".

I'll leave it the way it is for now I guess.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Are you completely sure that's enough? :)
Old 10-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegadrummer View Post
Congrats Kona with a great buy! How much did you pay for those? And welcome back to drumming.
I got a pretty good deal considering the MLSP is around $4,000 and if you shop around for the deals you may be able to get them for around $2,400 I haven't sat down to figure it out exactly yet. I got them for just over $1,700 (before the taxman got involved) - and I know that's a great deal - I looked around pretty good. If I was to sell just the "collector" cymbals (25th annav & the 2006) I could probably get twice what I paid for them, but I would never do that.
I'm very happy with them. Even though I won't be playing them for a while (until I get all the hardware together) it's just nice to have the buying-of-the-cymbals behind me - especially when they're so nice!

Last edited by KONA; 10-19-2007 at 07:25 PM. Reason: some typing errors
Old 10-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Are you completely sure that's enough? :)
Not sure - I'm waiting for Neal and Mike to show up to confirm............
Old 10-15-2007, 04:41 PM
fourstringdrums

Wow...damn. I agree with Ozzy. Way to get back into drumming in style.

I'm convinced you must be a loaded...first the Gretsch's and now these :)

When will we see a pic of everything set up?
Old 10-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post

Second that.

20 20 20 20

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 10-16-2007, 04:21 PM

wow (gulp) that's one awesome collection lucky man.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Wow...damn. I agree with Ozzy. Way to get back into drumming in style.

I'm convinced you must be a loaded...first the Gretsch's and now these :)

Everything set up will be a while. For some reason Gibraltar is very slow in sending what I order (in terms of my hybrid tom cymbal stand parts) to my retailer. And I've tried to order myself from the USA and there is a policy (agreement?) in place not to ship the particular Gibraltar parts to Canada. I have the two stands I ordered - the 9813DP Tom Stands, but it's the straight bars that arn't coming. I went to pick up one of the bars yesterday and it was a "curved" bar, not what I ordered - and that took over a month to get here. I wanted the Super Multi Clamps as well - nothing has showed up yet and the retailer wanted me to buy cheaper clamps. But hey, I've got all this stuff - I want the good parts to go with all this equipment - if you know what I mean.
No - I'm not loaded - I'm just not scared about going a little bit into debit to have something that I've always wanted. I think it's money well spent - or going to be spent.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DrummerMan View Post
wow (gulp) that's one awesome collection lucky man.
Thanks.
Yes - I was fortunate to have someone there to help me pick the cymbals out. The other factor being it was such a great deal. Like I said I was going to buy 6 or 7 cymbals and was prepared to pay a certain amount. But, when I got into looking and "crashing around' one thing lead to another and I ended up with 12 (13 if you count Hats as 2)! The price was right too.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:41 PM

Can you be my daddy?

You wouldn't need to buy me any Christmas presents or Birthday presents.

:)
Old 10-17-2007, 02:57 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: My New Istanbul Cymbals

Does anyone know of a really good Gibraltar parts supplier? My local retailer can't seem to be able to get some of the parts I need in order to get my kit set up the way I want it. I have all these lovely Gibraltar catalogs but they're really no use to me if I can't order the parts I need.

For example; I ordered a 24" straight rack tube # SC-GPR24 and a curvered tube came - my retailer says they can't get the 24" in Canada. I want to do is order the same parts that are pictured in the Gibraltar Hardware Tech Report January 07 page 16 (parts are listed on page 15). I've been looking around on the net and there is no site (that I can find) that #1 has everything #2 ships to Canada. I found one site that said they'd ship to Canada, but most of the gear I wanted was not on their site.

I know the stuff is out there - It's in the Gibraltar Catalog - I just need a contact where I can buy it and they need to be able to ship to Canada.

If someone knows where I can look please PM me.

Last edited by KONA; 10-17-2007 at 03:09 AM. Reason: posted to soon by accident
Old 10-17-2007, 03:30 AM

[quote=KONA;369522]I got a pretty good deal considering the MLSP is around $4,000 and i/QUOTE]

Breathtaking!....did you go see JoJo while you were in Surrey?..How are the prices on the Peace sets?

Love to visit you some time....I'm in Duncan...

cheers,
Michael
Old 10-17-2007, 03:56 AM

Kona,good on you,mate! Even though I'm a Paiste guy,I've always admired the Istanbul/Bosphorus/Masterworks cymbals.I can see myself playing a combination of these in the future,only if they weren't so hard to come by in my immediate vicinity. I have heard nothing but good things about Istanbul cymbals. I just checked with my main on-line music source,Rupp's Drums of Denver,Colorado to see if they carried a complete line of Gibralter products,but they don't. I believe they ship to Canada. I can't believe that most U.S. firms won't honour shipping to Canada...that's just incomprehensible to me. Good luck with your search and welcome back to the drumming world....
Old 10-17-2007, 02:06 PM
KARL MEMBER

Wow.
I hope you`re happy with them. They look fantastic. Congrats to so many awesome Istanbuls!
How are the 06 and the 25th? Aren`t the sound characteristics of those two lines pretty similar?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:26 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONA View Post
Does anyone know of a really good Gibraltar parts supplier? My local retailer can't seem to be able to get some of the parts I need in order to get my kit set up the way I want it. I have all these lovely Gibraltar catalogs but they're really no use to me if I can't order the parts I need.

For example; I ordered a 24" straight rack tube # SC-GPR24 and a curvered tube came - my retailer says they can't get the 24" in Canada. I want to do is order the same parts that are pictured in the Gibraltar Hardware Tech Report January 07 page 16 (parts are listed on page 15). I've been looking around on the net and there is no site (that I can find) that #1 has everything #2 ships to Canada. I found one site that said they'd ship to Canada, but most of the gear I wanted was not on their site.

I know the stuff is out there - It's in the Gibraltar Catalog - I just need a contact where I can buy it and they need to be able to ship to Canada.

If someone knows where I can look please PM me.
I've had great success with MassMusic.net. They do ship international and if they don't have something in stock they get it really quickly or they have it drop shipped from their supplier.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post

IHow are the 06 and the 25th? Aren`t the sound characteristics of those two lines pretty similar?

Karl
Yes Karl they are unique unto themselves compared to anything else in the Agop lines or any other cymbal makers lines at the moment IMO. Think complex and rich covering a huge range of low to high overtones in one cymbal with a touch of brittle old K stick sound thrown into the mix. No irritating overtones at all and as smooth as butter regarding both Karl.

The 06 with it's smaller bell {jazz bell version} has a slightly sizzle shimmer over a very clear and silvery stick sound that sits on top combined with a very dark underwash with a very clear high pitched musical bell. Amazing responsive crash for a 22" cymbal too I might add. The 25th sounds a little different with it's larger very clear musical bell giving more wash to the mix but shares similar characteristics with it's deep complex dark sound and a crash sound that's very full and shimmering that opens up very easily for a 20.5" cymbal.

The 06/25th alloy cymbals are outstanding cymbals which share a similar "vibe" combining a old K and current Agop vibe/character that sound great in a small group acoustic jazz application in particular Karl.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenvannin105 View Post
Kona,good on you,mate! Even though I'm a Paiste guy,I've always admired the Istanbul/Bosphorus/Masterworks cymbals.I can see myself playing a combination of these in the future,only if they weren't so hard to come by in my immediate vicinity. I have heard nothing but good things about Istanbul cymbals. I just checked with my main on-line music source,Rupp's Drums of Denver,Colorado to see if they carried a complete line of Gibralter products,but they don't. I believe they ship to Canada. I can't believe that most U.S. firms won't honour shipping to Canada...that's just incomprehensible to me. Good luck with your search and welcome back to the drumming world....
Yes - these cymbals are great - can't wait to get them up-and-running.

Paiste cymbals are really nice! I was looking at them too.

I just placed an order with MusiciansFriend for the rack bars - I ended up getting longer bars than I really wanted - I got 30" instead of the 24" described in the Gibraltar Tech Report for my set-up. They should work - it's only about 3" more at each end of the bar. Maybe the 30's will even work out better - we'll see.
Ya - it's frustrating to get to the "shopping-cart" when ordering and see in "red lettering" we don't ship to Canada. I just have to look around a bit that's all.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:16 AM
Silver Member

[quote=Michael Beechey;369743]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONA View Post
I got a pretty good deal considering the MLSP is around $4,000 and i/QUOTE]

Breathtaking!....did you go see JoJo while you were in Surrey?..How are the prices on the Peace sets?

Love to visit you some time....I'm in Duncan...

cheers,
Michael
Wow - we're neighbours almost.
I work for DFO in Nanaimo.

No I didn't see JoJo, you're referring to Mayer? Would have liked to, but didn't know he was in town.

I'm happy I looked around and settled on Istanbul. I was only looking at Sabian and Zildjian until someone on the Forum turned me onto Istanbuls. Zildjian and Sabian are awesome cymbals too, but I just liked the feel and sound (and price!) of the Istanbuls. One of the main reasons for going with these was that I was able to go to one place and look at a huge variety of cymbals. I got one-on-one service. Noel kept bringing out different cymbals and placing them on a "tree" for me to compare them. I started with hats, then added some crashes and splashes that went with them and then went on to some rides etc. It was great. I'm not knocking retailers, but I found it impossible to get that kind of service in the drum stores where I went to try cymbals. It must be very difficult to buy a cymbal from one store and then hope to get a match at another store or the same store on another day; I know l couldn't do it. I found it very frustrating. So when I had the chance to go to one place, be alone with someone that was going to help me pick the cymbals out of a huge selection I was pleased to say the least.

As an aside:
Do you know of any great drum retailers in Washington State? I think I would have a better time of it to go across the line to buy hardware - what do you think?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

[quote=KONA;370073
I'm happy I looked around and settled on Istanbul. I was only looking at Sabian and Zildjian until someone on the Forum turned me onto Istanbuls. Zildjian and Sabian are awesome cymbals too, but I just liked the feel and sound (and price!) of the Istanbuls. One of the main reasons for going with these was that I was able to go to one place and look at a huge variety of cymbals. I got one-on-one service. Noel kept bringing out different cymbals and placing them on a "tree" for me to compare them. I started with hats, then added some crashes and splashes that went with them and then went on to some rides etc. It was great. I'm not knocking retailers, but I found it impossible to get that kind of service in the drum stores where I went to try cymbals. It must be very difficult to buy a cymbal from one store and then hope to get a match at another store or the same store on another day; I know l couldn't do it. I found it very frustrating. So when I had the chance to go to one place, be alone with someone that was going to help me pick the cymbals out of a huge selection I was pleased to say the least.

[/QUOTE]

You nailed it Kona!. This was my same experience with Noel well putting my Agop family together. This combination of a big selection and first rate service made this happy Agop endorser very pleased in the outcome with the results to say the least. Could never have put my amazing Agop family together under any other conditions other than what was offered by Noel at Heartbeat Percussion.

Will be seeing him tomorrow Kona to check out some goodies he mentioned to me from the latest shipment from Agop and will pass along your regards

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member

Wow, that looks like an art collection! Congratulations on your aquisitions.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:23 AM

Kona,take a cruise to Don Bennett's Drum Studio in Bellevue,Washington just south of you. He is a first-rate drum shop.You can visit his website at bennettdrums.com.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I've had great success with MassMusic.net. They do ship international and if they don't have something in stock they get it really quickly or they have it drop shipped from their supplier.

Thanks, I ordered two 30" rack bars yesterday from Musician's Friend - they said it would be about 10 days - that's not bad considering the boarder and all. My Road Series Multiclamps (Gibraltar) came in today - I have 8 of them. Then right away I ordered 3 Long Boom Cymbal Tilters and 3 Short Boom Cymbal Tilters (Gibraltar again). That should take about 2-3 weeks - we'll see. My 9806MB Gibraltar Throne came in today too. It's kinda cumfy. So - the way I see it I just need to settle on a hihat stand (Yamaha or maybe Pearl) and a double pedal - Axis Longboard?, and I can set these drums and cymbals up! Before Christmas I hope. I've been putting this drum plan together since early spring this year and it's finally coming together.

Oh yes - I need a nice Persian carpet to setup on of course.

Cheers,

Kona
Old 10-19-2007, 07:30 AM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Yes Karl they are unique unto themselves compared to anything else in the Agop lines or any other cymbal makers lines at the moment IMO. Think complex and rich covering a huge range of low to high overtones in one cymbal with a touch of brittle old K stick sound thrown into the mix. No irritating overtones at all and as smooth as butter regarding both Karl.

The 06 with it's smaller bell {jazz bell version} has a slightly sizzle shimmer over a very clear and silvery stick sound that sits on top combined with a very dark underwash with a very clear high pitched musical bell. Amazing responsive crash for a 22" cymbal too I might add. The 25th sounds a little different with it's larger very clear musical bell giving more wash to the mix but shares similar characteristics with it's deep complex dark sound and a crash sound that's very full and shimmering that opens up very easily for a 20.5" cymbal.

The 06/25th alloy cymbals are outstanding cymbals which share a similar "vibe" combining a old K and current Agop vibe/character that sound great in a small group acoustic jazz application in particular Karl.
Thanks for your response.
Unfortunatly I can just talk about sound clips I heard...though those are very realistic and show me most of the characteristics you talked about.
And you can - you own some! =)

25th - I listened to models with different weights again. Started from 1706 grams...ended at 1884 grams. (six models on cymbalsonly)
I have to say that naturally I`d pick the light 1700 grams ones. Main reason is the more complex tone those have. Till now I havn`t really liked the sound of Ride cymbals which have a too clear and pingy sound, example would be the old K Rides. The 25th has a light K touch indeed but in my ears it`s not too much. It keeps the great woody stick definition and its complex sound with plenty of darkness (reminds me of their SE Rides a bit) but paired with those particular overtones and that vibe which reminds me of old K`s...
Overall this gets a unique cymbal with a good mix between some sexy characteristics. Also I could imagine it well with some rivets, I love especially Ride cymbals with a dark and complex character riveted. Though I will see how my ear will develop sound-wise.

06 - Yeah, sizzle...more ping, less tah and less complex if you can describe it like this.
I`d prefer the 25th. Too silvery, pingy sound from the 06...though I like the sizzle it has!

I really hope that I can try some of those live to really know what they are like...

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenvannin105 View Post
Kona,take a cruise to Don Bennett's Drum Studio in Bellevue,Washington just south of you. He is a first-rate drum shop.You can visit his website at bennettdrums.com.
I took a cruise to Don Bennett's via Map Quest. I'll try to get to his store. I also looked at the website - Lots of great photos.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for your response.
Unfortunatly I can just talk about sound clips I heard...though those are very realistic and show me most of the characteristics you talked about.
And you can - you own some! =)

25th - I listened to models with different weights again. Started from 1706 grams...ended at 1884 grams. (six models on cymbalsonly)
I have to say that naturally I`d pick the light 1700 grams ones. Main reason is the more complex tone those have. Till now I havn`t really liked the sound of Ride cymbals which have a too clear and pingy sound, example would be the old K Rides. The 25th has a light K touch indeed but in my ears it`s not too much. It keeps the great woody stick definition and its complex sound with plenty of darkness (reminds me of their SE Rides a bit) but paired with those particular overtones and that vibe which reminds me of old K`s...
Overall this gets a unique cymbal with a good mix between some sexy characteristics. Also I could imagine it well with some rivets, I love especially Ride cymbals with a dark and complex character riveted. Though I will see how my ear will develop sound-wise.

06 - Yeah, sizzle...more ping, less tah and less complex if you can describe it like this.
I`d prefer the 25th. Too silvery, pingy sound from the 06...though I like the sizzle it has!

I really hope that I can try some of those live to really know what they are like...

Karl
Yes hearing them in the flesh would really be a clearer way of hearing how the 06 rides really sound Karl. Soundfiles can be very deceptive IMO depending on the recorded quality of the soundfile especially in regard to this cymbal.

The 06 in the flesh is anything but a "pingy" ride Karl but it has a brittle silvery yet slighty woody stick attack over a very complex harmonic wash of very low to high pitches with this evil sizzle thing going on the whole time. One of my buddies who's quite a well respected recording enginner commented this is THE most complex sounding ride cymbal he's ever heard or encountered to date. You have to hear one in person to really get the complete picture of how interesting this ride truly is Karl. The 06 and 25th compliment each other perfectly based on sound and character being old K meets modern Agop in the same piece of B20 bronze.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Administrator

WOW. Canada's Gross National Product just trebled.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:42 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Yes hearing them in the flesh would really be a clearer way of hearing how the 06 rides really sound Karl. Soundfiles can be very deceptive IMO depending on the recorded quality of the soundfile especially in regard to this cymbal.

The 06 in the flesh is anything but a "pingy" ride Karl but it has a brittle silvery yet slighty woody stick attack over a very complex harmonic wash of very low to high pitches with this evil sizzle thing going on the whole time. One of my buddies who's quite a well respected recording enginner commented this is THE most complex sounding ride cymbal he's ever heard or encountered to date. You have to hear one in person to really get the complete picture of how interesting this ride truly is Karl. The 06 and 25th compliment each other perfectly based on sound and character being old K meets modern Agop in the same piece of B20 bronze.
Yeah...hope I can try them anywhere since no shop here in Germany seems to carry those beauties. Maybe I have the opportunity on Musikmesse next year or so.
Do you know whether Istanbul Agop will be there??

Wow, I`m very curious. Till now I have to say I`ve never been a lover for the pingy sound which you can find when playing a Traditional Ride for example. But I have to play those live. :-)
btw, how do you find the 25th or 06 Rides with sizzlers?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah...hope I can try them anywhere since no shop here in Germany seems to carry those beauties. Maybe I have the opportunity on Musikmesse next year or so.
Do you know whether Istanbul Agop will be there??

Wow, I`m very curious. Till now I have to say I`ve never been a lover for the pingy sound which you can find when playing a Traditional Ride for example. But I have to play those live. :-)
btw, how do you find the 25th or 06 Rides with sizzlers?

Karl
I can't stand the sound of bright heavy pingy rides Karl never have so I stay away from them at all cost during the cymbal selection process. None of my Agop rides including my 22" 06 jazz bell have this very undesirable quality to my ears. Remember my 22" 06 jazz bell weighs only 2385 grams and wobbles like mad. This is not a thick heavy ping monster ride Karl by any stretch or even remotely associated with one stick sound or general character wise.

I use my own ball chain creations for both the 25th and 06 when desired Karl and they are very effective. Here's a pic of the one I made for a 22" ride as seen on the 06.
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 01-16-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:24 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
I can't stand the sound of bright heavy pingy rides Karl never have so I stay away from them at all cost during cymbal selection. None of my Agop rides including my 22" 06 jazz bell have this very undesirable quality to my ears. Remember my 22" 06 jazz bell weighs only 2385 grams and wobbles like made. This is not a thick heavy ping monster ride Karl by any stretch or even remotely associated with one stick sound or general character wise.

I use my own ball chain creations for both the 25th and 06 when desired Karl and they are very effective. Here's a pic of the one I made for a 22" ride as seen on the 06.
Yes, not a heavy ride. Rather thin.
I`m usually getting closer to a cymbal if it`s thin and doesn`t weight much. Even in many Rock music styles I like the complex, woody and dark sound. Simply has to try those 06 and 25th out.

And about the ping: Could be that my "ear" and I develop in another way later...but till now I also try to stay away from ride cymbals which have a bright ping without that spice if you know...even if they are thin. Best example are Agop Traditional Ride cymbals. Not my bag.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, not a heavy ride. Rather thin.
I`m usually getting closer to a cymbal if it`s thin and doesn`t weight much. Even in many Rock music styles I like the complex, woody and dark sound. Simply has to try those 06 and 25th out.

And about the ping: Could be that my "ear" and I develop in another way later...but till now I also try to stay away from ride cymbals which have a bright ping without that spice if you know...even if they are thin. Best example are Agop Traditional Ride cymbals. Not my bag.

Karl
I just played a Agop 20" traditional medium ride yesterday Karl at the Agop warehouse and I can tell you the 06 and this ride are completely different animals. The 06 is NO ping ride or even remotely close to being one.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-20-2007, 02:35 PM

being a proud owner of some istanbuls myself, i must say WOW!!!