DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 10-13-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Yammie SCN ... would it be a mad idea?

This is my drumkit - Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau, In Natural Wood Gloss,
Sizes - 20" bass, 8" 10" and 14" Toms.
I love it, It sounds great and the sizes suit me to a tee... but theres really one thing throwing me, the lugs. Ive tried to like these nouveau lugs, but they arent for me. Also, the fact they are made from black plastic really diminishes the aesthetic appeal i think this kit could have with normal metal lugs.

Would it be silly to go about purchasing 52 nice shiny Metal lugs to "re-lug" my kit? Would most standard lugs fit? Its just a one screw lug attatchment.
Does anyone recommend anywhere that sell decent but not too expensive lugs?

Comments would be great :)
Old 10-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Yammie SCN ... would it be a mad idea?

...one of the nice things about having a one screw lug is that if you want to change them out, you only have to drill one hole per lug, and you already have the guide hole.

You can make a jig with the correct spacing for the second hole, and drill to your hearts content.

That is, if you want to.

Personally, I agree with you about the nouvou lugs. I am not too crazy about them myself, but I have never seen a post, or heard from anybody regarding them failing. I would be reluctant to change them out. If by changing the lugs you screw them up, you may hate them even more than the way they are now. Plus you may seriousley affect the resale value should you choose to sell them or trade up.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Barry
Old 10-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

Barry is right, It's an iffy Job. For what it shall cost, you mine as well deal with the lugs, until you buy a new drum kit.... I hate those plastic lugs aswell!

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 10-14-2007, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Figure $5(cheap) to $10(or more) per lug x how many lugs. Are you hating those lugs enough to want to pitch $260 (lowball) upwards of $520(more likely) into your kit? And, resale, like others have said, will be in the dirt.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:23 AM

Damn, Harry, where do you buy your lugs? Most of your standard lugs sell for $3-4 each. If you go tube lugs, though, expect to spend $5-$10 for each lug. Either way, it is pretty expensive. There are some that take a single screw so you wouldn't have to do any drilling, but the 2 screw design is more common. If you're concerned about the resale value, it'd be best to stick with the single screw ones.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:04 PM

Nice setup you have there. Liking the whole thing but I think I have an idea for the lug thing. They sell the black plastic nouveaus and their chromed metal counterparts that you find on the higher-end nouveau kits separate. They are pretty cheap too so you could probably fix this for fairly cheap if you really dislike them. I thought of doing this myself sometime too.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:16 PM

My opinion, you wanted it, you got it, be happy with it.

Thhere is nothing wrong with the plastic lugs, i know people who have them and say there just fine. If your that conserned im pretty sure you can buy chrome spray paint.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:34 PM

Wow! That's a nice looking kit! I really like it. Maybe I'll try that setup... :)

Joey Mcfresh
Old 10-14-2007, 11:18 PM
KARL MEMBER

Well, I like the features of the nouveau lugs...but it isn`t neccessary I think.
So what is the particular problem with those nouveau plastic lugs? Isn`t the core made like all lugs from metal?
If it is just about aesthetics I don`t think replacing them is worth the money. Even if those lugs are sold for a price of 4 bucks...that is still muuuch money you could spend for books, gear...whatever.

Up to you, if it`s making you crazy and you`d love some new ones, do it.
If it isn`t neccessary for you they will do their job.

Er, any way they would do their job. ;-)

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Silver Member

Like Karl said, if it's just for looks, get yourself a new cymbal, or a head change for all drums!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:06 PM

hey all, thanks for the replies, really appreciate everyones advice!

Everyone kind of seems to be saying the same sort of thing, so maybe i am indeed just being a bit too picky. However, i personally do feel that the FRC plastic nouveau lugs do not do their job as well as an ordinary lug does. I dont find them that much helpful in speeding up the head changing process, and a few times ive ended up finding a few actually coming loose from the bass drum and lying on the floor. I suppose theyre just not for me...
Also, i love drumming - everything about it, from the music itself to just the way drums look and how they present themselves. Unfortunately, aesthetics and sound come hand in hand with me for drumming, >.< im just a bit of a neat freak.

Drummer30 - i was always looking for the metal nouveau lugs but didnt think they were for sale! have you got a link to where i may be able to get them?

GlennO - id spray them up but that wouldnt change the standard of the lugs that im concerned with. Also, thats a really awful idea...

Trommur - thanks man :) its pretty comfy, give it a go and see how you like it.

Drummer Karl - again, your correct. Im totally in a sway between the adding to making the shells look beaut, or getting more gear. In fairness, your probably right. You can never own too many cymbals! :P

I think ill keep on thinking about it anyways. Was just a thought i suppose!

thanks again!

P.S - if youd like to hear what the kit sounds like, www.myspace.com/ablespacer take a jaunt! Nice black panther snare :)

Peace
Old 10-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Big_Philly

Well like the others said it's up to you but if you were to change the lugs, keep the old ones in case you want to sell your kit one day, and buy single screw lugs as your new ones. Drilling shells yourself is gonna be a pain.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:45 AM

hey, i have the same drums but in a 22, 10, 12, 14, 16 setup plus snare. Your recordings sound great, what mics/mixer/pre amp did you use?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnameth View Post
hey, i have the same drums but in a 22, 10, 12, 14, 16 setup plus snare. Your recordings sound great, what mics/mixer/pre amp did you use?
Hey! How do you find the lugs?
Recording wise i could even tell you, a friend done it [all professionally] and i know the equipment he used was all top gear... i recall that the mic for vocals was something like £300 alone!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove meister View Post
Hey! How do you find the lugs?
Recording wise i could even tell you, a friend done it [all professionally] and i know the equipment he used was all top gear... i recall that the mic for vocals was something like £300 alone!
I have nouveaus on my yammie maples, no problem. very sensitive tuning, quick on/off for head change.

Lots of guys have had issues with them on their snare drums though. Seems the extra tightening required creates a few problems.

My advice would be to invest in 'other' things. Or a new kit , if that is what you want.. lugs , if they are good to tune are pretty functional as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
I have nouveaus on my yammie maples, no problem. very sensitive tuning, quick on/off for head change.

Lots of guys have had issues with them on their snare drums though. Seems the extra tightening required creates a few problems.

My advice would be to invest in 'other' things. Or a new kit , if that is what you want.. lugs , if they are good to tune are pretty functional as far as I'm concerned.
Thanks for the advice man!
In honesty though, i think id be happy enough if i was in your shoes, as your nouveau lugs are made of metal. Im sure you can imagine that Plastic nouveau lugs arent half as hard wearing, and in all honesty, probably wont last near as long as the proper nouveau lugs!

But your right, they tune well. Out of curiousity, are there lugs out there that can make for bad tuning drums?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove meister View Post
Thanks for the advice man!
In honesty though, i think id be happy enough if i was in your shoes, as your nouveau lugs are made of metal. Im sure you can imagine that Plastic nouveau lugs arent half as hard wearing, and in all honesty, probably wont last near as long as the proper nouveau lugs!

But your right, they tune well. Out of curiousity, are there lugs out there that can make for bad tuning drums?
well, the inner sleeve in the 'proper 'nouveau lugs is plastic, so practically speaking, its the same thing. I'm not sure what exactly you have on your drums, but if they tune your drums well, and are durable ( if the tuning holds for a while, they are durable.. ), then I would'nt stress myself over them, and instead fantasize about Cymbals, extra snares, pedals etc ; )
Old 10-18-2007, 10:22 PM

Sorry about the late response, you can get them at a local drum shop I'm sure (that's where my extras came from). In the two years that I have had them I have broken only one lug and that was on the snare while seating a head. They really aren't as fragile as they seem, especially since they are a composite plastic that is supposed to take the stress. If I were me, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:59 AM

Anyone had problems with the Nouveau Lugs?
Old 07-06-2008, 10:45 PM

Yes, three of mine on my snare snapped when cranking up tight. im really not a fan, but the head change is quick
Old 07-07-2008, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

great looking kit! love the Yammies!

about the lugs.
Yamaha would not put a lug that does not work properly on a drum. so the plastic ones should work fine!
i dont think i would want plastic lugs, but they should work fine.

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 07-11-2008, 11:23 PM

Hey man! I'm so glad you went ahead and got a kit like this. It looks awesome. I would really like to have your smaller tom sizes too, next kit I buy will definitely have atleast a 10" tom. Get over the lugs, they work :)
Old 07-13-2008, 01:45 AM

I have a stage custom advantage fusion...which is an older kit from this line without the new lugs....hands down the kit cannot be beaten for the cash and imo u should just deal with the lugs as long as they dont cause any tuning issues...ive heard stories of them failing and breaking but if this isnt the case then just enjoy the kit for what it is...a very beautiful very nice sounding drum set....do u like the snare btw? cuz i hated it i replaced it with my ludwig acrolite and im much happier...
Old 07-14-2008, 12:05 PM

wow! My thread was revived...

Well, I didn't go through with it. And i dont mind now - realised that there isnt much of a problem with the lugs, and i got over the aesthetics. These drums are seriously perfect for the price, ive never played a better sounding kit (granted that i'm yet to play a reference, dw or the like). But i played gigs on a pearl masters, mapex pro M and neither of them lived up to this kit. Ive had countless engineers and studio producers asking me the name and specs on my kit because they were so impressed with it. Im planning on investing in a DW kit soon with my student loan :P but i will never get rid of this kit.

I realised recently by the way that this kit is unfortunately no long in production with Yamaha. Theyve reverted back to "Yamaha Stage Custom Series". The new kit has normal metal lugs, and is fully birch. But im really not fussed on the look of the lugs or finishes at all. Has anyone managed to bag one? I'd love to see photos other than the stock pics!
http://www.yamaha.com/drums/drumprod...1&CTID=5040575

Anyways, heres some more recent photee's

To hear this kit recorded in the studio, go to www.myspace.com/ablespacer !
First three tracks are from our EP, the last two are live recordings.

Thanks!

P.S. Cheers Starslope, it was your kit that turned me on to this in the first place!
All the best :) deff go for a 10"!

Tylerdrums: i ordered all these sizes custom and without the snare! I bought a black panther 13 x 5.5 snare, and later a YMCA 12 x 7!
I wanted a more high end snare, i didnt think itd be worth getting the YSCN one. how is your snare?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:11 AM

I also have a Stage Custom Nouveau. Now, I don't use the snare, but I haven't had any problems with the lugs on the toms and kick, and I play out a LOT. One very nice side benefit is that the plastic lugs make the drums very light, which is nice when you're packing up at 2:30 in the morning. I have the cranberry red finish, so the contrast isn't as dramatic compared to your finish. I think your kit looks great; actually I think I like your color better than mine! Also, you're right, these are very good sounding drums. My live rig for years was a Pearl MMX, and I'm perfectly happy gigging with these Yammies.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:14 AM

Hey how do u like the pinstripes on those toms? ive been thinking about getting a two ply clear head for my drums and im stuck between those and the g2's...so yeah how do they sound?...and in response to your question my acrolite is fantastic...its an 80s model...14x5 and a half...great pop and a big tuning range...and do u record your band yourself? my band does aswell but our quality doesnt quite match yours...sometimes i think it sounds great othertimes i feel our recordings are lacking hah...we are releasing an ep soon that i am currently attempting to master and make it as best as i possibly can
Old 07-21-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerdrums109 View Post
Hey how do u like the pinstripes on those toms? ive been thinking about getting a two ply clear head for my drums and im stuck between those and the g2's...so yeah how do they sound?...and in response to your question my acrolite is fantastic...its an 80s model...14x5 and a half...great pop and a big tuning range...and do u record your band yourself? my band does aswell but our quality doesnt quite match yours...sometimes i think it sounds great othertimes i feel our recordings are lacking hah...we are releasing an ep soon that i am currently attempting to master and make it as best as i possibly can
Hey thanks for the reply - DONT get the clear g2's. Ive had them bum out on me pretty bad before. Get pinstripes, trust me on this one - they will do the drums so much more justice. Such a pure tone and beautiful grumble on the floortom when tuned well.
We dont record ourselves, its a friend called Ryan Mitchell. He doesnt own a studio, just sets up his gear wherever, hes only 21 but the best ive came across! Check him out - http://www.myspace.com/ryanmitchellrecording . For mastering perhaps get it done professionally? Unless its going well for ya! You diggin your yammies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gish View Post
I also have a Stage Custom Nouveau. Now, I don't use the snare, but I haven't had any problems with the lugs on the toms and kick, and I play out a LOT. One very nice side benefit is that the plastic lugs make the drums very light, which is nice when you're packing up at 2:30 in the morning. I have the cranberry red finish, so the contrast isn't as dramatic compared to your finish. I think your kit looks great; actually I think I like your color better than mine! Also, you're right, these are very good sounding drums. My live rig for years was a Pearl MMX, and I'm perfectly happy gigging with these Yammies.
Too true! Theyre perfect gigging drums. Easy to haul about, sound lush, look great... no complaints. Id also be much more comfortable lugging this out to a show than a more pricey kit! Thanks for the compliments on my drums. I was so close to getting the cranberry red, but i eenie-meenie-miney-moed it in the end. Both are beaut finishes!
Thanks for the comments