DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 10-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Default Audiophile Recommendations - Home Sound System

I need to hear from the stereo gear audiophiles out there. This xmas, instead of blowing a bunch of money on more toys and gadgets for the kids (and each other) we took a vote. We're going to instead build a home entertainment system, complete w/ a new home audio system of some variety.

Our budget is not yet known but I'm curious what's available. I'd like to have another "rack" stereo system w/ a receiver, EQ, CD player, tape deck (you heard me right), a nice turntable, etc. Obviously I want great speakers, as well.

I'm *very* out of the loop on what's out there now and what is considered good audio equipment. What should I be looking for? Who's making the best stuff these days?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Audiophile Recommendations - Home Sound System

I've always been a fan of Bang & Olufsen gear. It's expensive, but it looks cool as hell and sounds great.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:54 PM

'Home entertainment system' - does this mean a surround sound home theater setup or just two channel audio? Obviously this has an impact on the budget.

I'd start by finding any local independent shops (not Circuit City or Best Buy) that deal with audiophile gear. They can be harder to find these days than they were twenty or thirty years ago, but there are still some of them out there. And it's important for the setup to be tailored to the space because room acoustics can make decent gear sound great or great gear sound like crap. Also - don't forget to budget for interconnects and cables - it's hotly debated just how much difference high-end cables make, but even middle of the road cables can burn through hundreds of dollars in no time at all, especially with a surround system.

Finally - online forums like:

audioasylum.com
audioholics.com
avsforum.com

lots of good discussion of what's out there in the audio/theater universe, who likes what, what does work, what doesn't work...
Old 10-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Gold Member

If you are looking for a home theater system, check out www.axiom.com.

They are a Canadian company that sells direct to the public.

When I bought my system 2 years ago, I did TONS of research and spent about 2K on speakers from them. I then bought a $300 Pioneer Receiver and never looked back.

An equivilant system bought from Best Buy or any Home Theater specialty store would cost easily 5 to 6 grand.

I love the system, the customer service was great, and 2 years later, I have not had any problems. My CDs friggin crank through this system. My DVD concert videos literally shake the house. When I watch the initial war part in Saving Private Ryan, you can feel the explosions in your gut and hear the bullets wizzing by your head!!!!!

Best investment I have ever made!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 01:12 AM

Have a think what you do most of...watch DVD's, play CD's, watch tellie? and build your system around your lifestyle rather than technical qualities. It's a bit like drum gear listen to lots and choose what you like the sound of. cnw is right, independants have the time to let you listen to each component. Narrow your options down based on what you like the sound of and can afford....not what some geek says is the right thing to have this year. When I bought my system I had chosen everything except for the speakers Bose or KEF? The independent I bought from set up 2 identical systems one with Bose speakers and one with KEF which made the decision easier.

I have a surround sound system with a Pioneer DV737 DVD player, DVD's are near perfect and because it plays CD's nearly as good as a CD player I haven't got a CD player, I have a Yamaha RX-v800 RDS surround sound receiver pumping out 100w per channel x6, I use Bose Acoustimass 15 speakers (Tried KEF but the Bose sound was clearer) and a Benq projector (can't see the model because it's on the ceiling).

Most of all enjoy
Kevin
Old 10-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

Well, I really like my Onkyo amp. :) Sadly, I never added on more to my 'rack' entertainment center. I would really like to get a multiple hundred CD changer and a nice tape deck. A record player would be nice so I can listen to the few I have. Speakers... I'm using some Dynaco speakers from the 60s/70s(?), and some smaller Aiwa speakers.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

http://www.harveyonline.com

..........the
best guys in my opinion.( great advice too )

more of my opinion:

-Boston Accoustic speakers

-NAD, Harmon Kardon amps,

(Stay away from equalizers, they dilute the signal processing.)
Tape decks, no idea Nakamichi used to be the best years ago.

My turn table friend still swears by Dual

Last edited by aydee; 10-12-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the 'input' guys (har har). The last sound system I had was all Pioneer, I had just picked up the whole unit from Sears for around a grand. It sounded pretty good but wasn't great...but with a 250 CD changer, amp, tape deck, etc. it was nice to have everything in one package. I'm sorry I ever got rid of it.

I didn't realize equalizers weren't a good idea. The last one I had worked pretty well but I had never tried shutting it off.

As for usage, I mostly want it for music but I'd like to also use it for the TV. My in-laws are living w/ us for a few months and they were career roofers, they're legally deaf and we have to crank it to 11 when they're around or they constantly ask "WHAT DID HE SAY? WHAT? WHAT?". Good times.

mikei - those Axiom speakers are really nice! If I buy a system piece-by-piece I'll consider those, for sure!

cnw60 - you're right about the cables, I got talked into Monster cables when I bought my TV...I'm not sure they would have been any better than an off-brand of the same kind.

Thanks all!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
If you are looking for a home theater system, check out www.axiom.com.

They are a Canadian company that sells direct to the public.

When I bought my system 2 years ago, I did TONS of research and spent about 2K on speakers from them. I then bought a $300 Pioneer Receiver and never looked back.

An equivilant system bought from Best Buy or any Home Theater specialty store would cost easily 5 to 6 grand.

I love the system, the customer service was great, and 2 years later, I have not had any problems. My CDs friggin crank through this system. My DVD concert videos literally shake the house. When I watch the initial war part in Saving Private Ryan, you can feel the explosions in your gut and hear the bullets wizzing by your head!!!!!

Best investment I have ever made!!!
Mikei - The Axiom's look good. Seems like there's a lot of really good value Canadian speaker companys. I have a pair of Paradigms in my living room and they've always impressed me as exceptional speakers for what I paid for them. Mirage speakers are also really nice from what I've heard. (and www.axiomaudio.com should be the link, the other one was showing car parts???)

Denon/Pioneer/Sony/Onkyo/NAD/HK/Yamaha all have pretty good reputations for solid state gear like receivers and players. I know that Pioneer (others too) have different lines, some of which are only sold through the specialty retailers. It really is a lot like the drum world where most of the big name companies cover a wide range of price, features and quality with different lines. There's still a select group of purists who won't have anything except tube amps - I haven't ever crossed that line, but I think about it every now and then.

Speakers will be your biggest investment and should be your first priority budget-wise cause they're more difficult to upgrade in a couple years. And I still listen to music more than I watch movies or TV on my system so the main front channel speakers should not be compromised. Another big issue that comes up is the appearance of things (and getting the all important spouse approval in that regard). Some people don't like to look at all the gear or big honking speakers. and while smaller speakers with a good sub can sound remarkably good, a good solid pair of full range speakers up front is hard to beat for the best voicing and soundfield with stereo music sources. My parents had a pair of Magneplanars in their family room for awhile, but they never really liked how they looked. So I gladly took them off their hands recently and put 'em in my main listening/viewing system and they're just really sweet, clean, natural sounding speakers. Of course, having them now makes we want to upgrade the amp and the surround speakers. What can you do???

Aydee is right about EQ, a good system shouldn't need it. And I still have a Dual turntable that I got awhile ago (like maybe 25 years??). Not sure what brands are available now, but I'm sure you can still pick up a decent one in $175 - $500 range or go boutique and spend $1k or more putting together a reference quality platter/tonearm/cartridge combo.

Last edited by cnw60; 10-12-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:07 AM

Just don't get anything from Boulder electronics:

http://www.soundstagelive.com/factorytours/boulder/
Quote:
we wondered what could possibly go into a $36,000 stereo amplifier to justify its price.........The 1010 ($11,000 USD) and 2010 ($36,000) preamplifiers and 1012 DAC/preamp ($16,000, shown right) display various messages....... The 2060 stereo amplifier ($36,000, shown right) weighs 240 pounds. To see the interior of this beast is to admire its mind-boggling complexity.........The $29,000 2008 phono stage sold in greater quantities in its first year of production than..........

If you believe all that, you could end up spending $101,000 just to do what a regular "integrated amplifier" does. And you still wouldn't be able any music. You would still need to buy speakers and a CD player and/or turntable.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:12 AM

I work at best buy, in the home theater department, no less...So maybe I can help.

First of all, best buy DOES carry audiofile gear at any magnolia home theater location. I would say, if you really want to hear some sweet speakers, check out either Vienna Acoustics or Definitive Technologies. My personal fav is the Vienna Acosutics Mozart series.

You could also check out some of the electrostatic speakers Martin Logan has, your best buy with magnolia home theater will have those (pricey though, somewhere around 2500 each)

For a rack system, I would look in to Pioneer Elite products or perhaps some of the upper level dennon stuff. Granted this isn't as good as Carver, B and K, or Macintosh, but reasonable priced and great sounding. Use al THX certified speaker cable and make sure you run equal amounts of speaker wire to each speaker to make sure the sound hits at the same time.Better yet, let the magnolia installers do it for you, they are freaking awesome. The training we have to go through for that is incredible.

Most importantly,. remember that your system is only as good as its weakest link. If you have a budget of 10,000 and you spend 8000 on speakers, and leave only 500 for a receiver, your system will sound like a 500 dollar system. Make sure you balance everything out. Please feel free to ask me if you have any questions.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:49 PM

http://www.linn.co.uk/

Check this out. There is a place here in London, Ont. that sells Linn stuff. The website itself for Linn is from the u.k. Amazing stuff. Mucho $$$ but simply awesome.

Peace.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:05 PM

I have about 25 years of audio "wanderings." I suggest you start by looking at audio asylum and Audiogon.I also suggest used gear,although buying it is not without pitfalls.Email me direct at job42@att.net if you have more questions.The more esoteric gear is produced by companies that are not household names,but,depending on your budget,produce sound that you might believe to be "unbelievable."