DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 11-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Jusstickinaround

Default Playing Music

How many of you actually play music? What I mean is, with other musicians. I don't believe you can call yourself a drummer or musician if you just play at home to cd's or work on your chops. Contrary to what some of you might think, I don't consider myself the greatest drummer, but I do consider myself good, and I play with conviction.
I understand everyone wants to have the best gear, but that is not what makes a musician, you have to play with others and give it all you've got. I've heard some very good players on here, but a lot of them are just soloing. Unless your name is Buddy Rich you need more than soloing or playing to recorded music.
Some of the best drummers I've seen play simple, but musical, and add what is needed to the song, whether it's a cover, original or even a solo. I think we all need to play with others, if you don't then you are missing out and should not critisize others who do.
I have more respect for the mediocre drummer or any musician who is out playing than someone with great chops sitting at home and playing alone.
These are my thoughts, I may not have expressed them the best, but I think you can understand what I'm saying.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Playing Music

I agree. A lot of my musician friends are music producers who have stopped playing live. Good guitar players, keyboard players, drummers who spend their whole lives in studios, editing sequencing music. I always lament to them, " man, go out there and play in front of people, thats what you've been put on this earth for".

The joy of playing music for me is to connect with other musicans to make magic together and share that with an audience. No greater joy than to be a part of creating that magic.

Like all good things in life, music is more meaningful if it is shared by others.

To see its effect on a listener or a fellow musician is the ultimate high
Old 11-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
I agree. A lot of my musician friends are music producers who have stopped playing live. Good guitar players, keyboard players, drummers who spend their whole lives in studios, editing sequencing music. I always lament to them, " man, go out there and play in front of people, thats what you've been put on this earth for".

The joy of playing music for me is to connect with other musicans to make magic together and share that with an audience. No greater joy than to be a part of creating that magic.

Like all good things in life, music is more meaningful if it is shared by others.

To see its effect on a listener or a fellow musician is the ultimate high
Thank you, that was much better than how I said it. I'm not much on writing, and I don't always find the right words, I would rather play than talk.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
I don't believe you can call yourself a drummer or musician if you just play at home to cd's or work on your chops.
That's ridiculous. In fact, some of the most talented musicians I've ever met never play with other people. My uncle is one of the most phenomenal guitar players I know and he just piddles around in his spare time and has never been in a band. Just because somebody doesn't broadcast their talent doesn't make them any less of a musician than somebody who does.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
How many of you actually play music? What I mean is, with other musicians.
I do, although not as much as I would like to.
To me playing on stage is like a drug, and I'm addicted to it. I actually get alot like a crackhead right before the gig, during breaks and waiting for my next one if it is coming up soon after the lat gig, since I'm so anxious and I want to start playing so badly. Then I get all relaxed but also excited on stage, I love it, playing is better than any drug.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
I don't believe you can call yourself a drummer or musician if you just play at home to cd's or work on your chops.
I'm going to agree with burnthehero and say that is a very silly thing to say - of course the idea of a musician is to create music - who says you need other musicians to make music? Max Roach did whole concerts with just drums - now is he not a musician? Who also says you need to play in front of a crowd to be called a musician? Now if you're talking about professional musicians - then there's a difference, but anyone who can make music in some form, is a musician. Amateur or professional it makes no difference.

Also what about all those people who actually can't find anyone to play with? Does that therefore make them not a musician? Take Karl on here for instance (sorry, I don't mean to pick on you Karl, your just a very good example) - he apparently can't find many jazz musicians his age to play with around his area (maybe it's changed now), but he is an incredible jazz drummer and has play-alongs to conpensate for the time being. Is he now not a drummer?

I can see your point, but I think you made some very bold and ignorant statements, but like you said yourself - you didn't express them very well...
Old 11-04-2007, 01:04 AM

Ive personally witnessed a many really good young guitar players, at least they are as long as they are playing solo, alone. Drop them in with a set of drums and bass or piano, or in ANY musical setting where they are no longer ALONE........... and they cant play a lick. Alone, ...... they can play all manner of guitar parts from various songs, including even the entire song. Alone.

As a drummer..... Ive primarily played with music all my playing life. I like it that way. Im not the guy you will find soloing on a kit at Guitar Center. However, a lot of times that guy cant do squat on a kit with other musicians making music in a song.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26473
Old 11-04-2007, 01:14 AM
Jusstickinaround

Yes, Max Roach did create music by himself, but he also played with other musicians. I guess I'm refering more to the person who just plays by himself in his own home, I don't really think you can consider yourself a true musician if you don't interact with others and go though the ups and downs of playing live or in a studio.

I didn't mean it to sound arrogant or condecending, but I feel you have to play with others to feel the full benefit of playing music.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:32 AM
Pioneer Member

Oh aye, yes - playing with others open's up your ears completely, but at times (depending on where you live) it's surprisingly hard to find competent musicians who are reliable to turn up when asked for. It's all well and good playing with others, but if they are truly great at what they do and can relate to your doing... well, that's when the magic really begins.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:41 AM

Now I wouldn't go as far as to call someone who is sitting at home not a musician, but I do think the experience with live playing is something to be desired. It's great when you are playing with other people, and combined you create something whole...and then once you see other people enjoying it too; well it's just a great feeling.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:28 AM
Silver Member

I think you can get joy out of music, whether you play with other people in public or alone in your basement. I don't think one's better than the other, it's all music and the purpose of music is entertainment, enjoyment and expression.

I am lucky enough to not only play with talented musicians almost every day, but also to get paid for it. Music for me is more than my passion, it's my living. It's a modest living, but I consider myself extremely fortunate to be able to do what I love.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Pioneer Member

I guess I disagree that you have to play with others to be considered a musician. That said, playing with others is extremely important in ones development. Just as practice and taking lessons are.

I played with a band for a few months last year and found my skills dropping off. The band played straight ahead rock and many of the grooves were repetitious.You can only play four on the floor so long before you start to stagnate. I got very bored playing the same stuff over and over.

I have also noticed that a few bands that I was in that I'd tend to work on band stuff and I neglected my own development. I got good at playing with the band, but didn't grow much outside of that box.

I think having a personal lock out is just as important, if not more so, than playing in a band. I go to auditions and find myself having to learn covers that may be different than what I'm comfortable playing, and that forces me to expand my abilities, but that depends a lot on the style of music, and the level of musicianship within that band. It can work the other way too.

There's just no one way or right way to do it.