DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-11-2007, 01:59 AM

Default Stick Shield?!?!...

Anyone heard of it? Stick Shield. thinking of using it but have any of you used it?

[Cool signature no one else has thought of]
Old 10-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Stick Shield?!?!...

That might kill/dull the sound of hats and cymbals maybe even rimshots. Unless you only use the tip of your sticks when playing. Not an educated guess by any means. Lets see what others think.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Pioneer Member

There's a person on this forum who keeps posting threads about this stuff. I think he has something to do with the company. I wouldn't use it because I'm not a hard hitter. Plus it seems kind of like a gimmick to me. You can coat your sticks with all kinds of stuff to extend their life.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

I'd give it a try. Sounds like it might work. I think it might give a softer sound on the shoulder - and that would be a good thing for certain applications.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:34 AM

From the website, it seems like a piece of clear packing tape would have a similar effect (though admittedly it may not be quite as durable).
Old 10-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblinkhorn View Post
From the website, it seems like a piece of clear packing tape would have a similar effect (though admittedly it may not be quite as durable).
Packing tape would start shredding almost immediately and get adhesive all over your drums and cymbals.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Packing tape would start shredding almost immediately and get adhesive all over your drums and cymbals.
Actually that's not true - I tightly wrap clear packing tape around the rim-shot area and it helps my sticks last longer without crapping my gear. The tape holds perfectly until the wood underneath has taken too much and ends up shredding under the tape.

Concerning the Stick Shield, the owner of the company is on this forum and there has been a few threads about it. Although the guy has quite a "commercial attitude", his Stick Shield seems to be a good product - he sent some free samples to a few of the guys on the forum who tested the Shield and from what I remember they said it holds it's promises. It is much more efficient that the clear packing tape from what I understand.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum-Head View Post
Actually that's not true - I tightly wrap clear packing tape around the rim-shot area and it helps my sticks last longer without crapping my gear. The tape holds perfectly until the wood underneath has taken too much and ends up shredding under the tape.

Concerning the Stick Shield, the owner of the company is on this forum and there has been a few threads about it. Although the guy has quite a "commercial attitude", his Stick Shield seems to be a good product - he sent some free samples to a few of the guys on the forum who tested the Shield and from what I remember they said it holds it's promises. It is much more efficient that the clear packing tape from what I understand.
I was thinking of wrapping them more on the shoulder, where the edges of cymbals would cut the tape and expose the glue. It sounds like for rim shots the tape is tough enough to stay intact. Do you also wrap up higher, on the shoulder?

I don't mind manufacturers and teachers posting here hoping to drum up some business. Most of them do it the right way - the become one of us and mention they're involved in some aspect of drumming and people ask them about it. Unix and Crazyhorse are good examples of the right way for manufacturers to post here.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

Oups my bad! No I don't use tape on the shoulder of the stick since I never have any problems there. I only have issues with the wood around the rim-shot area peeling after some time. But my guess is that if one wraps tape on the shoulder - like you say - it will shred because of cymbals. If I remember, the Stick Shield does not have this inconvenience when placed at the shoulder end.